Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can I get an Irish passport?

(36 Posts)
suzied Fri 24-Jun-16 08:37:46

In view of Brexit, can I get an Irish passport if I have Irish grandparents ( long dead)? Anyone know?

morethan2 Mon 27-Jun-16 07:08:07

I'm probably being really thick. I thought this thread was a whine up I'm not so sure now. I'm dissapointment in the result but would never renounce my citizenship. What would be the benefit of having duel nationality? Honestly I don't get it. My children could. My husband is Irish and I've asked him if he would like duel nationality now ( he was in the British army so holds British nationality) but he doesn't understand what the benefits it would give him. Sorry if I have misunderstood this thread

daphnedill Mon 27-Jun-16 07:48:27

The advantage would be that you would still be an EU citizen with all the benefits that brings. As an Irish citizen you would also still have the right to live in the UK.

As your husband is already Irish, there's no advantage to having British nationality, but it could be of benefit to your children, who would then retain freedom of movement within the EU.

suzied Mon 27-Jun-16 07:58:36

Yes and you could get the reciprocal health care etc. Which presumably will go.

trisher Mon 27-Jun-16 08:11:42

You don't have to renounce one to have the other.

Judthepud2 Mon 27-Jun-16 08:50:20

Morethan it is not a wind up for me. Getting application form today. I was born and live in NI and am entitled to Irish citizenship as well as UK. Given that UK are leaving EU, I would like to have the advantages of still being a citizen of EU. Health care entitlement and easy movement across borders when travelling.

morethan2 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:03:23

Oh right thanks ladies. I just didn't get it. But won't it be another 2 years before we loose our E.U rights ?

Judthepud2 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:55:12

The way things are at the moment, it will be about 2 years before the current queue for Irish passports is dealt with. I spent most of the morning trying to get 2 application forms.....like hen's teeth here. PO staff said there has been a huge rush on them.

Judthepud2 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:56:31

Got a form at last!

M0nica Mon 27-Jun-16 16:41:10

It is certainly not a wind up on my part. I was already on the route after we tried to deport an Afghani interpretor and he committed suicide. Brexit has just speeded my decision. Mt sister is doing the same for the same reason.

I am half Irish anyway. I have two Irish Grandparents, but only one was born in Ireland. so being a citizen of both countries is balanced and reasonable.

Bellanonna Mon 27-Jun-16 17:29:20

Daughters both applying for Italian passports. My mother was Irish so I could have an Irish or an Italian passport but I probably won't as we don't plan to go abroad again ( husband's ill health). Interesting just how many people are doing this though.