Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour party latest

(203 Posts)
dorish Sun 26-Jun-16 09:06:29

I'm a bit of a lurker and don't post very often but it's raining and I am stuck in watching the news and fascinated (in a slightly scared way) about what sky news is calling the "Labour civil war"

Personally I would like to see Benn succeed. I think Corbyn has to go

varian Sun 26-Jun-16 13:34:15

The labour party needs a progressive leader who will be willing to co-operate with other parties in the interest of the country and not refuse to share a platform with others when there is agreement.

Jeremy Corbyn's refusal to share a platform with Tim Farron, Caroline Lucas and David Cameron to fight for Remain made him look petty and childish. Harriet Harman gave better leadership.

POGS Sun 26-Jun-16 13:38:03

Resignations so far.

Heidi Alexander, Man Murray, Gloria de Piero, Lillien Greenwood, Lucy Powell, Kerry McCarthy.

Up to the Unions now ?

Luckygirl Sun 26-Jun-16 13:38:47

I don't think it was petty and childish - I think it was honest, and that is what marks Corbyn out - he does not blow with the wind to suit everyone else. But at this time the Labour party does need a leader who has the backing of the majority and Corbyn for whom I have a lot of time, is not it.

daphnedill Sun 26-Jun-16 14:13:54

I have a lot of sympathy with Corbyn's views and him as a person, but I just don't see him as a leader and strategist.

If Labour is going to win an election, it needs to be in power. It needs to look at what's going wrong in the towns of the Midlands, North East and Lancashire/Yorkshire, because they're the places where support is leaching to UKIP. Forget about the South East outside London, apart from a few places.

I can't really say what's going wrong, because I don't live there. Maybe somebody who does and is an ex-Labour voter would like to contribute.

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 14:26:00

Corbynhas the backing of the majority, just not of the pareliamentary majority.
Also the majority of the Labour party voted to stay in, so there's no chance of them voting for Gisela Stuart, thank heavens.
I think petra was just stirring it with that suggestion. Fortunately she will not be voting for a new leader, if Corbyn resigns.

Anybody mentioned Yvette Cooper yet?

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 14:28:47

What's going wrong in the north is Ukip, daphne.
I do not understand it. The North East has the least number of immigrants, yet is vociferously anti immigrant.

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-16 14:36:44

To win an election any leader of any party has to reach out further than grass roots supporters . The Tories didn't win the last election with a strong majority.

The big problem for the Labour Party is the Tory press . Whoever was to take over from Corbyn would immediately come under savage attacks from them

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 15:12:18

Corbyn was never going to last long, but so many people did really think he would be the next PM......not to be is it?
I saw that Mc Donnell sated several times that he would not be putting himself forward for Leader ( so that means that he will then.)

durhamjen Sun 26-Jun-16 15:27:36

i0.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/160626-Labour-In.jpg?w=1200

Jalima Sun 26-Jun-16 19:13:24

www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/26/brexit-live-jeremy-corbyn-sacks-hilary-benn-tory-leadership
up to date (not just Benn)

obieone Sun 26-Jun-16 19:39:09

The North East is not very wealthy, has a looming school places crisis, and a number of North East hospitals have a funding black hole as far as I know. Could be why they dont want more people[dont know so much about immigrants].

Alea Sun 26-Jun-16 19:42:23

That sounds very anti- immigrant to me. Unless you are talking about the birth rate?
What do NE grans think about OP's observation?

Alea Sun 26-Jun-16 19:43:19

Sorry, not OP, the preceding post.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 19:48:52

Eleven have resigned now, more to come( just heard)

Ana Sun 26-Jun-16 19:52:21

And it seems as though Corbyn can't find enough replacements to just carry on as though nothing's happened (news report).

daphnedill Sun 26-Jun-16 19:57:05

There is a bigger crisis in London over school places, but the majority still voted Remain.

School places are funded by pupil numbers, so schools/authorities get more money if there are more pupils. It's more likely that the crisis is caused by parents not wanting to send their offspring to certain schools.

EU immigrants make less use of the NHS than average, but a higher population would trigger more funding, so it's beneficial to have people moving to an area.

obieone Sun 26-Jun-16 20:05:46

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/school-places-crisis-heading-north-11159902

Alea Sun 26-Jun-16 20:36:49

Could be why they dont want more people[dont know so much about immigrants]

Your inference?.

M0nica Mon 27-Jun-16 11:26:17

I just think the whole thing is hilarious. Politics hasn't been so interesting for years. Think, if Corbyn is ousted and then re-elected the Labour party will split and the SNP could end up being the official opposition as it will be the second biggest party.

I have no sympathy for Corbyn. As a back bench MP he consistently voted against his party, 300 plus times wasn't it? He is no position to expect MPS, very few of whom actually voted for him, to be loyal to him. He could go down in history as the man who killed the labour party.

Anyway in the meanwhile I am really enjoying all the antics in both main parties, Tory Brexiters running round like headless chickens having told all sorts of lies and made ludicrous promises on the basis they stood no chance of winning the referendum and now they have finding themselves stuck with ludicrous promises to honour and absolutely no idea what to go next and now the Lebour party shenanigans. Meanwhile people are joining the Lib Dems faster than they left them during the coalition. It is going to be a wonderful summer.

Elegran Mon 27-Jun-16 11:43:33

ob The NorthEast needs more investment and infrastructure, not fewer people bringing less trade to the area.

Alea Mon 27-Jun-16 12:02:12

A quote from your link, obi,
said the stresses on schools were due to a bulge in the birth rate, and said shipping containers on school yards could become a more common sight as heads turn to temporary classrooms

Given that we are talking about teenagers born 11/12 years ago, not ever suggested this is an immigrant problem. As Elegran says, a need to boost the local economy, attract business and investment.

durhamjen Mon 27-Jun-16 12:24:55

Obi, my immigrants are teaching in those schools.

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 12:29:29

There is a difference between people who are coming here who have a job to go to, and those who dont.
That is what is more understood by poorer areas, than richer areas.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 27-Jun-16 12:38:29

I'm waiting for David Milliband to come back. They could put him in the Birstall seat and, voila! someone decent to vote for.

daphnedill Mon 27-Jun-16 12:40:32

@jingle

I must admit I'd like to see him back too.