Gransnet forums

News & politics

Article 50 of Lisbon Treaty

(103 Posts)
granjura Tue 28-Jun-16 18:01:24

We keep hearing about negotiations that have to take place in view of the Brexit vote. And it makes me wonder how many people have actually read it. The Treaty the UK has signed up to clearly states that an outgoing State will NOT have ANY right to negotiate anything:

4. For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it.

durhamjen Tue 05-Jul-16 22:35:25

Actually, that's another of those problems that has been put on the back burner since the referendum.
The government will be able to get away with lots over the next two years. We need a new government watch thread as well as a Brexit watch thread.

durhamjen Tue 05-Jul-16 22:31:11

Of course it was, daphne. I can't understand how the government has been allowed to get away with it as long as it has. It actually encourages the Saudis to buy arms and kill Yemeni with them. I am disgusted as well.

daphnedill Tue 05-Jul-16 20:47:37

I hope that's a joke. I'm thoroughly ashamed that one of the UK's biggest exports is arms to Saudi.

durhamjen Tue 05-Jul-16 20:38:02

I don't think we have any problem with arms exports to Saudi, daphne, except we probably do not make them fast enough.
Perhaps we ought to import cheap ones from China and India and sell them on to Saudi. Could bring Mark Thatcher back to be a middleman.

daphnedill Tue 05-Jul-16 20:33:04

I read somewhere or other that Albania and Serbia were suggested as trading partners. I've heard they do a good line in people smuggling, drugs and protection rackets, so I dread to think what kind of trade is envisaged. We could always seek to increase arms exports to Saudi...

durhamjen Tue 05-Jul-16 20:14:51

They do a good line in dodgy steel. Nuclear power stations, too. A few problems there, and we will not be bothered about wine and olive oil.

suzied Tue 05-Jul-16 19:25:11

Well we can always trade with China, India, Brazil, those shining examples of democracy and equality. I expect they do a lot of yoghurt, wine and olive oil.

durhamjen Tue 05-Jul-16 18:36:09

We will also get a new name, most favoured nation.
Is that a good exchange for free trade?

durhamjen Tue 05-Jul-16 18:31:50

That's okay, Welshwife. We will be able to trade with all other countries but the EU ones in the meantime, although it will take a few years to organise trade deals with them.
Never mind, we do not have many goods to trade anyway.

Welshwife Fri 01-Jul-16 09:34:23

I understood that no trading agreements at all could be discussed till after the complete withdrawal from the EU - two years away. Whatever way you look at it there will be two years of limbo with no-one knowing what the deal will be and other countries saying they do not want to do deals till they know what any deal with the EU will be!! The trade deal could take another few years so it could be we have no trade deals in place for about 8 years at least.

It was all such a good idea to leave!

Tegan Fri 01-Jul-16 09:32:36

It was queried on TV last night why Gove has only just realised why Johnson was incapable of doing the job, having worked so closely with him for several months. Question Time was huge disappointment again with the leave lot still being as vocal as ever even after being faced with the turmoil amongst their leaders and the realisation of the lies they've been fed.

durhamjen Fri 01-Jul-16 09:23:02

The reason Gove is standing instead of Boris is because he realised that Boris doesn't even have a credible Plan A.

It's a shame that Gove is so slow on the uptake.

whitewave Fri 01-Jul-16 08:36:46

Actually Gove has always hated experts. Remember he used to describe them as the "blob" I think he instinctively hates anyone who shows a modicum more knowledge on a subject than him. He needs to eat a slice of humble pie.

whitewave Fri 01-Jul-16 08:33:51

Plan B grin hollow laugh. Of course they don't. They are now totally reliant on the civil service to try and help them out if this mess. These civil servants already have a full time job so presumably they will be employing hoards more, either as (whisper "experts") or to run the day to day business.

whitewave Fri 01-Jul-16 08:29:50

The ducks in a row will be placed by the 27. Not the UK government. We have then to try either to swap those we don't like or shoot them all down, and be left with no ducks at all

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 21:45:32

By the way, I much prefer honest politics.

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 21:44:47

How do they get access to the free market, then?
You tell us your super marvellous plan B.

Anya Thu 30-Jun-16 20:53:23

So you think there isn't a Plan B. How naive you are DJ

Anya Thu 30-Jun-16 20:49:53

More negative thinking.

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 20:38:00

They can't have all their ducks in a row. They cannot have access to the free market without free movement of people.
So that's okay, then. No article 50.

Anya Thu 30-Jun-16 20:33:40

Article 50 will not be triggered until they have all their ducks in a row. Anything else would be plain stupid.

durhamjen Thu 30-Jun-16 20:27:16

Nobody, hopefully. We can go on talking about it, or ignoting it, until it fizzles out.

whitewave Thu 30-Jun-16 10:08:42

Is article 50 too much of a hot potato? We want preliminary talks. EU doesn't. We don't want to invoke Article 50 until we've got some idea as to what in doing sowould mean. The EU want it invoked and then tell us the bad news.

Who dares invoke it?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 09:25:50

I didn't suggest you tell them anything obieone.

I think in important matters people should know enough about a thing before they cast a vote. Guesswork just won't do.

Perhaps many younger people prefer to think of other things rather than politics. Fair enough. That's understandable. Perhaps that a good reason not to give a vote to sixteen year olds.

obieone Thu 30-Jun-16 08:15:32

If you give people a vote, then it is their vote to do with as they please.

People complain on here about older people and why they voted as they did, but who knows why younger people voted as they did.
Or anyone else for that matter.