Gransnet forums

News & politics

Michael Gove is now standing

(175 Posts)
petitpois Thu 30-Jun-16 09:09:25

for Tory leadership. Heaven help us... Not too surprising I suppose.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 09:12:17

There doesn't seem to be much honour amongst thieves.

mischief Thu 30-Jun-16 09:13:39

The thing that strikes me about Michael Gove standing is, firstly he was with Cameron and then went against him to go with BJ. Now he's left him to stand for himself. Can we trust this man? He seems to be constantly self-serving and slippery.

whitewave Thu 30-Jun-16 09:15:24

Bet he'll get Dacres and Murdochs support.

Jane10 Thu 30-Jun-16 09:16:10

He's just a joke. Who's going to vote for him?!

whitewave Thu 30-Jun-16 09:18:01

Wait until the Mail and Murdoch press get going.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 09:18:32

Have you read Sarah Vine's leaked email to her hubby?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/29/michael-goves-wife-doubts-boris-johnson-email-sarah-vine-dacre-murdoch

obieone Thu 30-Jun-16 09:22:16

Can I say that I quite like him??
[ducks]

But I am very willing to be persuaded otherwise.

So do your worst! grin

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 09:29:20

Which two will be put forward for the vote? Tory party members have little choice , will it be May and Gove. Johnson and May. Gove and Johnson.

Alea Thu 30-Jun-16 09:29:23

"Oh no, really no, I couldn't possibly ...... Oh well, if you insist".
Like being offered a chocolate digestive with his coffee.

Alea Thu 30-Jun-16 09:30:42

Seriously God help us if the choice were to be Gove or Johnson. How can anybody like him?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 09:33:28

Do we really need to like him?

suzied Thu 30-Jun-16 09:33:32

He said Johnson not up to the job - so why was he slavishly campaigning with him in front of that £350m a week bus?

Nandalot Thu 30-Jun-16 09:36:24

Poor Lady Macbeth. So her email was leaked. How surprising!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 09:39:59

I thought the email suggested that Boris might renage on the deal he has cut with Gove. ie giving him a job. Nothing to do with Boris not being up to it.

suzied Thu 30-Jun-16 09:42:03

He said he was standing because he had come "to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead - From BBC news

Anniebach Thu 30-Jun-16 09:42:15

I am sure she is really upset Nandalot and puzzling as to who would have leaked it

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 09:54:33

Was that in the email?

obieone Thu 30-Jun-16 09:56:46

I think, if I understand correctly, that Boris is not much liked amongst troy MPs. They know that Boris is only in things and does things for Boris. That he is not a team player.
Probably too, he may have stabbed people in the back, one too many times.
So preumably suzied, now that Boris has actually stood, Gove has perhaps belatedly found this out.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 09:58:34

No, not in the email.

In full: Michael Gove's statement announcing his leadership amibitions
Posted at 09:08

The British people voted for change last Thursday. They sent us a clear instruction that they want Britain to leave the European Union and end the supremacy of EU law. They told us to restore democratic control of immigration policy and to spend their money on national priorities such as health, education and science instead of giving it to Brussels. They rejected politics as usual and government as usual. They want and need a new approach to running this country. There are huge challenges ahead for this country but also huge opportunities. We can make this country stronger and fairer. We have a unique chance to heal divisions, give everyone a stake in the future and set an example as the most creative, innovative and progressive country in the world. If we are to make the most of the opportunities ahead we need a bold break with the past. I have repeatedly said that I do not want to be Prime Minister. That has always been my view. But events since last Thursday have weighed heavily with me. I respect and admire all the candidates running for the leadership. In particular, I wanted to help build a team behind Boris Johnson so that a politician who argued for leaving the European Union could lead us to a better future. But I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead. I have, therefore, decided to put my name forward for the leadership. I want there to be an open and positive debate about the path the country will now take. Whatever the verdict of that debate I will respect it. In the next few days I will lay out my plan for the United Kingdom which I hope can provide unity and change."

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 10:13:34

"Events since last Thursday"?! What has he learned new about Boris in that time ?!

Bit of back stabbing there. grin

It gets more and more fun interesting.

Thanks dd.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 10:14:43

"Events" to be interpreted as "my wife says..." grin

Cagsy Thu 30-Jun-16 10:19:29

If that slimy toad ends up as our PM I am definitely moving to Scotland and voting for independence

crossgranny Thu 30-Jun-16 10:23:48

I am turning into Victor Meldrew.
I do not believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Must remember my blood pressure tablets.
At least Labour are taking some attention away from the embarrassing Tories.

obieone Thu 30-Jun-16 10:29:16

Can people tell me why he is not suitable please?