News & politics

Farage

(354 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 04-Jul-16 10:10:44

Farage is standing down as leader of UKIP

daphnedill Mon 11-Jul-16 00:21:16

Aha! The 'practical' solution!

Zorro21 Mon 11-Jul-16 00:11:27

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3683605/Health-tourists-jump-NHS-queue-Foreign-patients-given-eye-surgery-Britons-wait-months.html#reader-comments

granjura Sat 09-Jul-16 22:31:10

Now just a thought, YOU are Farage aren't you?

granjura Sat 09-Jul-16 22:24:04

Zorro- this post of yours wasn't about Farage, was it:

' if young people don't want to work what you do is stop the benefits theyre on if theyre on benefits and offer training to them to train them to do something useful in life - meanwhile make them do menial tasks. No work, no money.'

hence my comment- that forcing the above to do many of the jobs the 'immigrants' do, like nursing and OAP care, etc- wouldn't be a very good idea at all. If you divert from the subject, you have to accept that people will respond to your comments.

daphnedill Sat 09-Jul-16 22:20:44

Thank you so much, Zorro, but no thanks. If I really want to see Farage, I'll borrow my daughter's punchbag.

daphnedill Sat 09-Jul-16 22:18:53

Interesting read, JessM! It was all so predictable, which is what makes it tragic.

granjura Sat 09-Jul-16 22:09:23

Of course I never said your mother needed care- just that if she did, she might prefer not to have that young man forced to 'look after' her.

If your mother is still totally independent at 91- it is indeed wonderful. My dad was until he was 95.

And this was in response to you saying British youngsters needed to be given a chance/priority. Some are sadly not able or willing to do the jobs required nowadays, or qualified to do so.

Tegan Sat 09-Jul-16 22:03:15

'this forum is supposed to be about Farage'..hold on there Zorro. Is this a Freudian slip of some kind. Gransnet today, tomorrow the world. This thread is about Farage....the forum isn't. Dreams of world domination methinks.

Zorro21 Sat 09-Jul-16 21:57:17

Granjura - I think you just enjoy making things up - I never said my mother was in care !!! She did see your English Defence League You tube though so, because this forum is supposed to be about Farage, and is titled Farage, I have put on a You Tube video showing Farage himself.

Zorro21 Sat 09-Jul-16 21:54:14

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TfeCuoRSs4

JessM Sat 09-Jul-16 12:55:38

The BMJ has a thing or two to say that might be of interest.
Bad news lost in the referendum noise - increase in death rates which BMJ blames on austerity.

www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i3697

POGS Sat 09-Jul-16 12:00:48

Why do you think a fellow posters mother needs care?

Has he/she said so?

granjura Sat 09-Jul-16 10:57:09

Did I say amused Zorro?

Distraught would fit rather better. The point was that perhaps your 91 year old mother (mine lived to 94 and 96) - may not enjoy having this guy forced to look after her care.

Royandsyl Sat 09-Jul-16 10:45:37

Leave Nigel Farage alone. I agree with 'that bags' on here. A sensible post. I usually vote Conservative but will not be doing so again! Cameron is rubbish. I voted to come out of the EU. My husband and I voted not to join the first time. It is a gravy train for France and Germany and will collapse eventually. I think Nigel Farage would make an excellent Prime Minister for England.

daphnedill Sat 09-Jul-16 03:53:18

Maybe she's his gran. Bless!

Tegan Fri 08-Jul-16 22:29:45

Can I ask you what your reaction to it is Zorro. Respect perhaps?

Zorro21 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:24:57

[CONFUSED]

Zorro21 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:22:52

My 91 year old Mother wanted to know why Granjura should imagine she might be amused by watching an English Defence League you tube.

Zorro21 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:15:34

grin

Zorro21 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:14:25

The European Union Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015, receiving overwhelming support from Parliament. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout.

The EU Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015. The Act was scrutinised and debated in Parliament during its passage and agreed by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The Act set out the terms under which the referendum would take place, including provisions for setting the date, franchise and the question that would appear on the ballot paper. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout.

As the Prime Minister made clear in his statement to the House of Commons on 27 June, the referendum was one of the biggest democratic exercises in British history with over 33 million people having their say. The Prime Minister and Government have been clear that this was a once in a generation vote and, as the Prime Minister has said, the decision must be respected. We must now prepare for the process to exit the EU and the Government is committed to ensuring the best possible outcome for the British people in the negotiations.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

JessM Fri 08-Jul-16 22:07:19

Anglesey has also produced a fair bit of nuclear electricity over the past decades. If Wylfa 2 goes ahead it will help the local economy but the current political situation put this at risk. There is also a science park planned. EU funded. flowers sad

Welshwife Fri 08-Jul-16 21:05:25

And that has been decimated

petra Fri 08-Jul-16 20:19:49

welshwife After successive governments have decimated our coastguard it's the easiest way to get into the country. I have come into this country many times on a small boat, no customs clearance, I could have had anyone on board.
You would have to be very unlucky to get caught. It's only border intelligence that catches these people.

daphnedill Fri 08-Jul-16 20:09:38

OK! I didn't realise you meant so close to Anglesey.I don't ever remember their being much industry in North West Wales (I used to spend holidays there as a child). I couldn't agree more that there needs to be a move out of London, not only to regenerate the regions but also because housing in the South East is unsustainable. Why have governments not had much success in persuading businesses to move to the area? What industries used to exist?

JessM Fri 08-Jul-16 19:57:01

I'm sorry but I can't agree that the economic depression in Wales and the N of England has to do with either poor infrastructure or the presence of mountains daphnedil.
In many areas there were traditional industries which closed down. Successive governments have had only patchy success in persuading businesses to move into these areas and open new manufacturing plants. So a workforce that was not particularly well educated and had been concentrated in just one or two industries were suddenly thrown on the scrapheap.
There is nothing wrong with the infrastructure where I live on Anglesey. No mountains and we are right on the cross continental route from Dublin to the EU. Nice big brown field site since Anglesey Aluminium closed and it has a convenient deep water port. Oh and we have an excellent train link to the SE via the west coast main line.
No governments have made a really determined effort to revitalise these depressed areas. An easy way to help would be to relocate the vast numbers of civil servants who currently occupy expensive office space in central London. Only the most senior civil servants are actually needed in the capital.