News & politics

Farage

(353 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 04-Jul-16 10:10:44

Farage is standing down as leader of UKIP

Welshwife Mon 04-Jul-16 10:25:03

We've heard that one before! grin

Anniebach Mon 04-Jul-16 10:37:44

I thought the same thing as he announced it Welshwife. He isn't standing down as MEP though

suzied Mon 04-Jul-16 10:40:16

No he needs the money for turning up. Douglas Carswell, the only UKIP MP tweeted a smiley faced emoji as his response. Makes me sick.

suzied Mon 04-Jul-16 10:50:50

I meant he takes the money for NOT turning up

Luckygirl Mon 04-Jul-16 10:51:34

This ghastly man represents the revolting face of the leave campaign and I am just sorry that he is not standing down as an MEP (which in his case is just a joke) immediately. He shamed the UK with his rantings in the European parliament and sullied the case for leaving the EU for those who have sound reasons for making their decision other than his disgusting xenophobic stance. What a nasty little creep he really is!

suzied Mon 04-Jul-16 11:01:15

Farage and Boris knew they couldn't deliver. they promised shangri la and know that is impossible. Sovereignty? Take back control? Pull up the drawbridge?negotiate independently? £350m a week? It gets more like House of Cards every day.

Alice16 Mon 04-Jul-16 11:43:30

Thanks Nigel. So you want your life back. Well some of us would like our EU back.

Jane10 Mon 04-Jul-16 11:45:59

How dare he continue to take a salary for being an MEP. He's a disgrace. angry

marpau Mon 04-Jul-16 11:47:10

Seems both he and Boris have created a mess and will leave it to others to clean up.

GillT57 Mon 04-Jul-16 12:05:16

Can't the constituency he represents de-select him? They have got someone supposed to be representing their interests and he is not only not doing so, he is boasting about it. Ghastly man.

kittylester Mon 04-Jul-16 12:18:57

Actually, I quite like him to be where I can see him! Bit like DGD (aged almost 3) who was here for the weekend.

daphnedill Mon 04-Jul-16 12:21:45

There was a meeting of Ukip's NEC today. Farage was expecting Carswell to be sacked. Has that got anything to do with it? I'm just catching up.

Arron Banks was making announcements at the end of last week that Farage was going.

thatbags Mon 04-Jul-16 12:41:19

This is a link to Ukip's 2015 manifesto summary. Below I have copied and pasted their statement of ideals (what they would do if they could) on immigration. I don't agree with every point here or in other parts of the manifesto but neither do I see anything racist in it.

"UKIP believes immigration is far too high. 
Seven million immigrants came to live in Britain under the last Labour government and another two million have arrived under the Tories. 
The pressure on housing and on public services such as schools, hospitals, transport networks, power and water supplies, is far too great. We must control immigration.
UKIP will:
- Leave the EU and take back control of our borders
- End immigration for unskilled jobs for a five-year period to re-balance our work economy
- Introduce an Australian-style points-based immigration system to assess all potential migrants to Britain on a fair, ethical and equal basis
- Tackle the problem of sham marriages
- Introduce a new visa system for workers, visitors, students, families and asylum seekers
- End access to benefits and free NHS treatment for new immigrants until they have paid tax and NI for five years
- Require all visitors and new immigrants to the UK to have their own health insurance".

While I have never felt remotely inclined to vote for a Ukip candidate, I don't think it's fair to keep accusing them of racism when their manifesto contains none.
I find Farage intensely irritating so I never willingly listen to or watch him but I also think it's unfair to expect him to stop being an MEP before the UK has actually exited the EU. I don't suppose any other MEPs will either.

daphnedill Mon 04-Jul-16 13:02:28

Maybe I need to go to Specsavers, but I haven't seen one reference to racism on this thread (one mention of xenophobia).

This seems like paranoia to me.

Farage and Carswell have been squabbling ever since Carswell defected. Carswell complained loudly about Farage's poster. There was a meeting of Ukip NEC today and Farage hinted that Carswell would be sacked. It appears he wasn't. Join the dots.

granjura Mon 04-Jul-16 13:08:42

That poster was calr enough.

What a contemptible coward- B**t**d!

How about starting yet another petition- to have his MEP ship and salary taken away from him.

His life back? He is very lucky he is not likely to bump into me in the new few days and weeks- very lucky. I am incandescent with rage now.

crun Mon 04-Jul-16 13:16:45

Farage and Johnson have treated the country the same way as the Bullingdon club treated restaurants: drift in off the street, have a bit of fun smashing the place up, then f* off and leave someone else to clear up the mess.

Beammeupscottie Mon 04-Jul-16 13:22:27

Yes. Probably leaving it to the women, as per usual.

GillT57 Mon 04-Jul-16 13:43:46

Agreed crun. I am still angry about what these morons have done.

suzied Mon 04-Jul-16 13:52:15

Maybe no racism in the manifesto (well they would say that wouldn't they) plenty in the campaign - that refugee poster, the claims about "the Turks are coming", nasty jibes about Polish shops etc.

thatbags Mon 04-Jul-16 14:40:08

Stop blaming Farage and Johnson for the Brexit vote. The majority of Brexit voters had made their minds up long before the referendum was even announced what they would vote if and when a referendum on EU membership was called. They may have persuaded a few don't knows to vote Brexit but that's all. The dissatisfaction with the EU is much older than the campaign. That's why Cameron promised a referendum. If anyone's to be blamed, it's him for using such an important referendum to appease Tory eurosceptics. And failing!

What I saw of the populist Brexit campaign was pretty grim but so was Remain's Project Fear. If the one can be said to be full of lies the other can be said to be full of utter pessimistic rot.

thatbags Mon 04-Jul-16 14:42:04

I shall be happy never to see Farage's face again, but if he should resign his MEP-ship instantly, so should the rest of UK MEPs. You can't have one rule for people you disagree with and another for those you do agree with.

granjura Mon 04-Jul-16 14:54:00

Why should UK MEPs resign, if they have been doing their job diligently, attending their commissions, etc. the point is that Farage has been picking up his cheque and attended, was 1 or 2 times only out of 42 for the Fisheries Commission. Common decency to resign and stop picking up the cheque.

daphnedill Mon 04-Jul-16 15:12:11

Farage has resigned as leader of the party, not (as far as I know) from the party itself. Even if he has left the party, Suzanne Evans, who is currently suspended, still sits as an independent in the European Parliament.

thatbags Mon 04-Jul-16 15:16:13

If what you say about his involvement (which is not the same as his attendances) is true, then okay, gj, he should resign his MEP-ship. I bet he isn't the only one whose attendance/involvement could have been better.