Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oscar Pistorius sentenced for murder

(108 Posts)
glenda Wed 06-Jul-16 10:01:59

He's finally been sentenced, but he only received six years in prison! Is anyone else rather put out by this? Seems to make light of his crime completely.

NotSpaghetti Sun 24-Jul-16 13:07:48

In the Telegraph 3 days ago:

- a statement from the National Prosecution Agency (NPA) said: “We respectfully submit that the sentence of six years’ imprisonment, in all the circumstances, is disproportionate to the crime of murder committed, that is to say, shockingly too lenient, and has accordingly resulted in an injustice and has the potential to bring the administration of justice into disrepute.”
The NPA said the judge, herself disabled by polio she suffered as a child, had exhibited "maudlin sympathy" for the Paralympian, “overemphasised” his disability, and “underemphasised” what Steenkamp must have endured.

... Personally I think that the 6 years was too short given that the 'minimum' should be 15 years in what the judiciary consider to be 'normal' murders. The judge can reduce this if there are compelling reasons to do so according to the legal info I've looked at.

The issue that I'm concerned about is whether the 6 years is fair and proportionate. Recently a rhino poacher killed three baby rhinos and his accomplice and was given 77 years so there is obviously lots of movement upwards of 15 years. However if it sticks at 6 years after the NFA have re-examined it I suppose that it must be then considered proportionate to the crime.

In that case he will be out in 3 years and we may well see him competing again pretty soon. Maybe the 2020 Olympics?

NotSpaghetti Sun 24-Jul-16 13:12:51

Just want to add that some people DO feel great remorse after they kill someone. I have seen it first hand, but it doesn't mean that the time incarcerated shouldn't reflect the severity of the crime.

Jane10 Sun 24-Jul-16 21:16:27

But if you wipe out a family in your car its reckless driving and only a paltry sentence? Something badly wrong there. Bluebelle makes sound points.

NotSpaghetti Mon 25-Jul-16 11:53:02

We were discussing the murder tariff in SA.

You are right Jane10 about the paltry sentence re death by reckless driving here in the UK, but I think that's another thread.

Jane10 Mon 25-Jul-16 12:51:16

You are discussing it from a British experience rather than taking into consideration the very different levels of (in)security there compared to ours. Also the fact that he was on steroids seems to be overlooked. The court evidence from the Professor of Clinical Psychology was extremely convincing.

NotSpaghetti Mon 25-Jul-16 14:24:32

I'm sorry Jane10, we'll just have to agree to differ.

It wasn't me who wanted to discuss death by dangerous driving (UK or otherwise) - as I said, that's not what we were talking about here.

I specifically researched the SA law and it's on this that I am taking a view here. I've read the details of the 3 categories that the judge must consider for mitigation and am not so stupid that I can't see that there are things to consider in this case.

In spite of this, I still hold to my view which is broadly in accord with that of the SA prosecutor. I'm sorry if you don't agree.

Jane10 Mon 25-Jul-16 16:56:44

Yup. We must agree to disagree!