Gransnet forums

News & politics

Could Labour 'split'. Tom Watson calls off talks.

(1001 Posts)
POGS Sat 09-Jul-16 11:42:10

It is being reported Labour Deputy Leader Tom Watson has called off 'talks's with the Unions/Len McCluskey over Jeremy Corbyns future and refusal to 'stand down'. He is being reported as saying 'There is no realistic prospect of reaching a compromise'

Obvious signs have been there , (noted from the beginning of Corbyn becoming leader for political anoraks) but is this perhaps a challenge that 'if' it does happen might just 'split' Labour into the Parliamentary Labour Party and another group finally calling themselves 'Momentum' as an official opposition party?

There have been a few voices suggesting a Labour Leadership challenge could happen on Monday 'maybe' they are correct.

Interesting to watch.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 11:28:07

Devo, all the good done by the Blair government is ignored by the far left , winning an election isn't of great importance , seems being the oposition party will bring about stopping all the damage done and will be done by the Tories

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 11:35:00

You can do your own rooting about Fullfact, obie. You've cast plenty of aspersions about them, but not come up with any concrete proof that there's anything fishy about the group.
You just appear not to like them because I do.

A bit like Annie and Mike Sivier.
What's wrong with him having a friend called Oliver?

nigglynellie Wed 27-Jul-16 11:36:25

Imo stretcher bearers and other similar non combatants were among the bravest of the brave in both those dreadful wars, and no one should, or has the right to say differently. The risk to terrible injury and life itself was a every bit as real as it was for combatants. All have my admiration and respect.

trisher Wed 27-Jul-16 11:45:56

Anniebach could you tell us what you think a Labour governnment should do. My requirements would be-
an anti -austerity stance and programme of investment to promote growth.
Take back into public ownership the railways
Scrap Trident
Increase tax for the rich and spend this money on the NHS
Have a housing policy that builds social housing,and regulates rents
Look carefully at student loans and the repayment rate with the consideration that targeted grants may be better
Provide proper support for the very poor.
Not necessarily in this order. But Owen Smith really doesn't believe in these things so it has to be Corbyn

Elegran Wed 27-Jul-16 11:47:22

Joseph Rowntree Foundation is only one of a whole list of charitable foundations making donations to Fullfact, along with other organisations and individuals.
fullfact.org/about/funding/

What is there about that particular one that seems fishy to you, obieone ?

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 11:50:59

JRF and Fullfact are linked. Well well!

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 11:52:22

Fullfact is supposed to be unbiased.
But it seems hugely left wing to me.

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 11:54:22

JRF - I looked into a bit a while back.
Again, it is supposed to be unbiased? But isn't?

daphnedill Wed 27-Jul-16 11:59:00

My real problem with Corbyn is that he doesn't seem to have a coherent economic policy, which would finance investment for growth.

If he has and I've missed it, I would be very grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 12:02:08

Jen,nyou are so protective of vixpoliticalonline you cannot accept a joke,i found it amusing to find out who the writer of vixpoliticalonline is, I know several of his friends on Facebook , we have several joint friends , I haven't read any vixpoliticalonline link which tells only 27% of labour councillors support Corbyn , he knows this yet write a load of rubbish blaming decent labour MP's for the 16 point lead held by the Tories , he is really saying we need those MP's to have a chance of winning an election , I thought Corbyn and momentum could do this on their own . Blaming Margaret Hodge was nonsense . The weakness is Corbyn himself . This morning Owen Smith set out the changes he would make , he took questions from the press, why doesn't Corbyn do this and stop the momentum rallies , he is weak Jen, he lets McDonald do all the talking , this isn't leadership it is being led by the nose . I wish he would face the public, take questions from the press not hide away

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 12:04:37

Daphne, he hadn't a coherent policy on anything, just keeps on about what he wants but not how he will do it

Beammeupscottie Wed 27-Jul-16 12:08:59

I wonder if Corbyn suffers from shyness - not an affliction useful to a politician.

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 12:09:40

Annie, I have been putting links to voxpolitical on here ever since I 've been on it.
It's only now that you have thought fit to question it.
I ask you again, because I do not know, what's the joke about Oliver?

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 12:11:06

Trisher, Corbyn should tell the country how he will carry out his policies but he doesn't , he is relying on momentum to keep him as leader. Smith is speaking out, where the hell is Corbyn, not on the hustings . Corbyn seems to think no further than remaining leader buy he isn't leading .

Will you post his policies ? No one else seems to have heard them , not just want he wants but how he plans to carry out the changes , we don't have momentum rallies around here

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 12:15:57

Bean, I don't he is shy ,he has spent his life rebelling , speaking to the converted , I now believe the MP's who said he isn't a leader are right,

Compare his campaigning with previous labour leaders, all I know is he is a pacifist, wants rid of trident and wants gentler politics. Politics have never been and never will be gentle

Beammeupscottie Wed 27-Jul-16 12:16:02

dj.

Remember this;
"Hello, I'm Julian and this is my fiend, Sandy"

nb. one of my favourite comedy duos ever.

Beammeupscottie Wed 27-Jul-16 12:16:35

Friend even!

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 12:16:52

Obie, if you can find a group less biased and more open about their funding than Fullfact, please let me know, and I'll help fund them as well.
In the meantime, you should stop attacking their reputation without facts to support what you say.
You could fund them yourself if you want them to appear less left wing. Not that the funding has any effect on what they look into.

daphnedill Wed 27-Jul-16 12:17:23

@obieone

Where is your evidence that the JRF claims to be unbiased?

It supports, and always has supported, social change and the needs of the poor.

Why are you going on about the JRF anyway?

daphnedill Wed 27-Jul-16 12:22:30

Full Fact is a registered charity. We do not receive government funding, and rely on donations from individuals, charitable trusts, and corporate supporters.

We also earn money from running statistical masterclasses, and from our trading company, Full Fact Services. Click here to find out more about what we can offer your company.

All donations greater than £5,000 are listed on our website.

We are grateful for the support we receive from the following charitable trusts:

Nuffield Foundation
Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust
Esmée Fairbairn Foundation
Barrow Cadbury Trust
The Legal Education Foundation
Peter Samuel Charitable Trust
Laura Kinsella Foundation
M J Samuel Charitable Trust

Our current corporate supporters are listed below. To find out more about joining our membership scheme, and what Full Fact can offer your company, click here.

City of London Corporation
Community, the trade union
Diageo
Kings & Wood Mallesons
Monckton Chambers
St James’s Place Wealth Management
Rolls Royce

fullfact.org/about/funding/

Is the City of London Corporation also a hotbed of raving lefties? hmm

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 12:23:48

voxpoliticalonline.com/about/

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 12:33:44

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/27/owen-smith-policies-copied-says-jeremy-corbyn-team

trisher Wed 27-Jul-16 13:01:39

Anniebach I asked what you would want to see, didn't mention Corbyn. Could you mange to leave him out of it and answer the question?

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 13:01:40

Corbyns team claims it? I haven't heard McDonald speak of it and McDonald is not the damn leader anyway.

I too received a mail from Corbyn asking was I voting for Corbyn, Smith or was I undecided , I didn't reply. I don't like this way of getting votes, I want the way candidates always ask for support, they mail or write, set out their polices and ask if I will consider voting for them.

The mail from Corbyn has made me more anti Corbyn, it's wrong to ask who are you voting for, it is correct to ask will you consider voting for me. This is bullying and I am yet again going to complain to HQ, I am secretary of our local branch and part of a group of women labour supporters , now I feel my local branch could be threatened by momentum

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 13:03:48

I have said often what I want Trisher, not going to repeat myself over and over, I do wonder if you are a member of momentum

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion