Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Mon 11-Jul-16 17:47:02

New thread folks!

Helps keep track of new cabinet and her early days. Will be interesting.

rosesarered Tue 12-Jul-16 09:39:21

..... and that really matters Alima although the mice were hoping he would move out! grin

Anniebach Tue 12-Jul-16 09:57:12

A Tory MP was interviewed yesterday and I wanted to slap him, he said of May - after a few days rest and some TLC! how patronising

radicalnan Tue 12-Jul-16 10:05:21

Oh Dear Mrs May how very unfortunate as if things weren't bad enough. sad

whitewave Tue 12-Jul-16 10:07:41

She's going to have real difficulties with the more insane wing of her party. I do so hope she isn't so spineless as Cameron and acts the headmistress and puts them in their place.

Tegan Tue 12-Jul-16 10:14:01

Some of her policies sound incredibly good. However are they things that the government could have done anyway or are they things that were blocked by being in the EU?

MTDancer Tue 12-Jul-16 10:15:23

I am not happy about her being PM. She believes in Sharia law and her record for past positions is not good either.
As Home Secretary she has been unable to control Border Agency/Border Force effectively, can we expect her to run the entire country successfully?
I can't believe the mess the country is in. Running around like headless chickens comes to mind

whitewave Tue 12-Jul-16 10:16:37

we are still in the EU, so I guess the answer is no they wouldn't be blocked.

joannewton46 Tue 12-Jul-16 10:19:12

Osborne as Foreign Secretary daphnedill? Heaven help us! Unless of course he's based in the Arctic where he can freeze his b..t off and create no more problems.

daphnedill Tue 12-Jul-16 10:20:00

May does not 'believe in' Sharia Law.

I expect May to run the country better than any of the other contenders.

joannewton46 Tue 12-Jul-16 10:20:51

Headless chickens is right. Complete shambles all round.

JessM Tue 12-Jul-16 10:21:13

Whitewavewe have had a lot of nice words from her colleagues over the last few years "greenest government ever", "all in it together" etc, so we shall see...
Nearly all the names mentioned have been men, which reflects the profile of Cameron's team. I wonder if she will bring more women into the cabinet? Thatcher was pretty dismal in this regard.

whitewave Tue 12-Jul-16 10:21:40

dancer I understood that May is concerned about Sharia Law operating in the UK, saying that there can only be one rule of law in the UK. I think she set up a committee to look at whether it discriminates against women. However, not being a natural Tory supporter I am more than willing to stand corrected!

daphnedill Tue 12-Jul-16 10:22:20

@joannewton46

I'm just speculating. grin I 'm not claiming this would be my dream team!

tigger Tue 12-Jul-16 10:29:55

MTdancer, I don't think she does support Sharia law. If you heard her little speech yesterday she said that she was investigating this issue and had set up an inquiry. She was concerned about women's rights and went on to mention something along the lines of, when in Britain, it's British Law.

daphnedill Tue 12-Jul-16 10:30:22

That's my understanding, too, whitewave.

www.theguardian.com/law/2016/may/26/theresa-may-launches-sharia-law-review

tigger Tue 12-Jul-16 10:32:07

Theresa May, Angela Merkel and Hilary Clinton, now that's an interesting combination.

grammargran Tue 12-Jul-16 10:32:44

I suppose for the time being she's the best of a bad bunch. She says she won't call an general election until 2020 - well, four years is a long time in politics - as well as a long time for me at my age! But Gransnetters, I have to ask, is there anyone else out there who, like me, feels completely disenfranchised at the moment? It's been years since I voted Tory and never Labour in a general election - although all three in local ones. Just where are the Lib Dems at the moment when you really need them? Come on, Tim Farron, for goodness sake, get together with Paddy Ashdown and sensible, centrist members of the Labour Party (would Alan Johnson be interested?) and emulate Shirley Williams et al back in the day and form a really strong alternative to these two weary, worn out, strife ridden parties which have for far too long dominated our political scene. I'm prepared to forgive your Coalition years (I actually believe from time to time you did some good in holding back the worst of some Tory policies) if only you would - putting it crudely in the words of my grandchildren but in my frustration nothing else seems strong enough - pull your fingers out and do something!

Outofstepwithhumanity Tue 12-Jul-16 10:33:30

Nothing much to add, as brain-dead with political manoeuvrings but Whitewave what a wonderful word - "confloptions" Love it, along with "cluster guck" to describe the last 3 weeks!

Outofstepwithhumanity Tue 12-Jul-16 10:34:42

Meant clusterfuck of course - can't even check properly now!

townie Tue 12-Jul-16 10:34:58

Rubbish to say that May 'believes in Sharia law'. Even sub the Daily Hate, which is saying a lot.

MTDancer Tue 12-Jul-16 10:35:54

She was quoted in the past as saying that Sharia Law could benefit Britian

Tegan Tue 12-Jul-16 10:42:10

grammargran; that's exactly how I feel at the moment, although I am planning to join the LibDems. The events of the past few weeks have left me feeling physically and mentally battered. Part of me wants to fight on but another part of me wants to disappear into a dark room and stay there for a long time. I'm totally bemused as to the things I've seen and heard recently.

whitewave Tue 12-Jul-16 10:44:21

glammer yes! I have voted Labour all my life - but look at them! What a total shambles. This country desperately needs an excellent opposition but in my opinion hasn't had one since the Tories took office in 2010. I despair at the wimpish way they have tackled so much inequality and thuggish behaviour on the part of the Tories.

I am more than happy to consider a Coalition at the moment, but it says a lot when I am happy to see May as PM rather than what I was absolutely dreading - like dopey Johnson or mad Gove.

Tegan Tue 12-Jul-16 10:45:22

So they're now talking about 'giving back control to the people' which makes it sound as if leaving the EU had brought this about when, in fact, a more caring government could have done that anyway? It all seems so two faced.

whitewave Tue 12-Jul-16 10:48:38

Yes I noticed that phrase. Not sure what she means yet.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion