Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May

(1000 Posts)
whitewave Mon 11-Jul-16 17:47:02

New thread folks!

Helps keep track of new cabinet and her early days. Will be interesting.

daphnedill Mon 11-Jul-16 17:53:59

Are we allowed to speculate?

I think Grayling, Patel, Hammond and Whittingdale will have jobs.

I'd like to see Robert Halfon and Sarah Wollaston in there somewhere.

I'd like to see Andrew Mitchell given a second chance, because he made me cry when he talked about Jo Cox. Apparently they were genuinely good friends.

I'd like to see Hunt and Morgan sent to Room 101.

Johnson - no; Gove - Governor of the Falkland Islands; Fox - Ambassador to North Korea

Leadsom - tea girl

daphnedill Mon 11-Jul-16 17:56:47

I forget IDS >>>> off with his head! Unless he picks up a role as the child catcher in a remake of 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'.

Anniebach Mon 11-Jul-16 17:56:59

I do like Leadsom on the tea urn, Gove in the Falklands - please- yes Mitchell he must be a decent chap. Not sure who else but be interesting hearing her choices

Tegan Mon 11-Jul-16 18:02:00

IDS is [as he calls others] a 'yesterday man'.

TriciaF Mon 11-Jul-16 18:03:25

All I can say is "God help us!"
And I do say a prayer every morning for that.

whitewave Mon 11-Jul-16 18:03:55

I hope she chooses people from the moderate side rather the right. So that's out with Gove, Fox and Leadsom.

Anniebach Mon 11-Jul-16 18:10:09

I think she may bring Fox back

Alima Mon 11-Jul-16 19:23:56

Andrew Mitchell, hmm, his name is familiar but why. Just googled him, it's the bloke with the bike. How could I have forgotten. Really like the idea of T.M as PM. Good luck to her and her team whoever they are. Won't be long before some people start slagging them off.

daphnedill Mon 11-Jul-16 19:30:42

Mitchell has actually done some good work in the developing world.

My money is on Osborne as Foreign Secretary.

varian Mon 11-Jul-16 19:33:20

I have a hunch that she may keep Osborne as chancellor - but then not all my hunches about the Tory party are right.

suzied Mon 11-Jul-16 19:37:40

Let's hope she doesn't give Boris a post

daphnedill Mon 11-Jul-16 19:41:15

The word is (on the BBC) that she's got something lined up for him. :-(

Laine21 Mon 11-Jul-16 20:13:15

Well they say, keep your friends close and your enemies closer still ?

Jalima Mon 11-Jul-16 20:17:24

Mitchell has actually done some good work in the developing world.
Mitchell was working with Jo Cox on a number of humanitarian missions and they were co-chairs of the all-party Friends of Syria and together visited the Russian ambassador where Mitchell says that Jo:
With clever charm but steely determination, this five-foot bundle of old-fashioned Yorkshire common sense dressed him down for his country’s cruelty and cynicism in Syria. I do not believe the Russian ambassador will easily forget that visit.

There must be a lot more to him than a bike and media hysteria.

Grannyknot Mon 11-Jul-16 22:23:50

Crikey, I just read she is taking over on Wednesday!shock

jevive73 Mon 11-Jul-16 23:17:11

I am so relieved it is not Ledsome...what a chancer. And I think the May is genuinely trying to do the right thing all the time...not that she always succeeds. She looked very nervous speaking today...perhaps it is overwhelming. Hope her diabetes doesn't cause her too many problems. So I think she will be good..but then I also voted for Blair and Boris....and look how they turned out in the end. And I thought Boris was hopeless at the end of the mayoralty...very dishonest and dismissive. I really hope he doesn't get a post. I hope Morgan goes. And Osborne still for chancellor perhaps. The Crabb man from Liverpool was apparently found sexting on the same day that the Ledsome story about motherhood broke...he of the religious bent...hmmm.So perhaps he won't be getting a cabinet job now. Interesting times.

Jalima Mon 11-Jul-16 23:21:20

Stephen Crabbe is MP for Preseli and Work and Pension Secretary, not Liverpool?
confused didn't hear that
beggars belief

rosesarered Mon 11-Jul-16 23:26:03

Gove, Leadsom, David Davis, Liam Fox, ( not Boris!) I can't imagine that Osborne wants any more years as Chancellor, so maybe he will be Foreign Sec.

Jalima Mon 11-Jul-16 23:29:19

Take your pick:
www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/07/11/theresa-may-course-next-uk-prime-minister-after-rival-quits/86936404/

Jalima Mon 11-Jul-16 23:31:15

sorry, that was meant to be a photo of TM surrounded by her supporters, there is one further down the page.

whitewave Tue 12-Jul-16 07:29:05

One thing I do like about May is that she is a private person and does the job without too much confloption.

We've probably all worked with people who are more concerned about style than content, and they are a pain in the ass. I hope she insists her cabinet behaves in a similar fashion, and concentrates on excellent governance rather than PR.

LullyDully Tue 12-Jul-16 08:42:03

Could Osbourne go off to the Falkland s too?

whitewave Tue 12-Jul-16 09:19:54

Some things I like.

Her plans to ensure employees are represented on company boards. This happens in a number of EU countries.

Binding votes by the shareholders on pay.

Asset stripping - tax minimising to be outlawed.

Block on takeovers deemed not to be in the national interest.

She also talked about and recognised the inequality in the UK, which undoubtedly lead to the chaos we are now experiencing. It will be interesting to see what she comes up with for the ordinary person.

Alima Tue 12-Jul-16 09:29:15

At least Larry the cat is staying at No. 10 so there will be some consistency.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion