Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Mon 11-Jul-16 17:47:02

New thread folks!

Helps keep track of new cabinet and her early days. Will be interesting.

daphnedill Sat 01-Oct-16 18:52:35

I don't have much time for Soubry, but how is she any different from Farage & Co who spent years campaigning to leave the EU and making a drama out of his own bitterness?

daphnedill Sat 01-Oct-16 18:48:33

Thank you for that view, welshwife. Yes, it's quite apparent from reading the French and German press that the majority of refugees aren't heading for the UK, but the British media doesn't report that.

My understanding is that the UK has already promised some of the children asylum, because they have family in the UK, but British immigration staff are working very slowly.

As far as Syrians are concerned, Syria was a French mandate until after WW2 and Syrians have good reason not to have a positive view of the French.

I fully accept that the UK can't take all refugees (which is heartbreaking), but, quite frankly, our government's response to the crisis has been pathetic.

Welshwife Sat 01-Oct-16 18:02:53

Many of the people in the Jungle do not WANT to live in France. For a variety of reasons they wish to get to UK - often as they know people already living there and some wish to go to Germany or Sweden. Although it doesn't seem that way to Britain most of the refugees do not want to go to UK but other countries and many do get there but then have no reason to travel via Calais - it is the ones who wish to get to Britain who head there. Those who want other destinations are not shown on British TV - I watched a programme about a young engineer wanting to get to Sweden - he spent some time living there and learning the language but failed in his asylum bid and we saw him on the bus heading back to Germany/France.
Not everyone does think the UK a great place with plenty of jobs - the Benefit system is rarely a reason for the migrants - it is jobs and family ties and until recently Britain has been viewed as a welcoming place. The referendum has changed some opinions and lots of the people who have changed their opinions are qualified doctors and the like who the UK needs.

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 17:03:46

Soubry is incredibly bitter about leaving the EU and makes no bones about it, so does all she can to plant negative ideas.
Exactly ab no matter who the PM was, it is a matter of months since she took over, and the negotiations are delicate.
Why we must all know at this stage is baffling.Even when we trigger article 50 it could take 2 years to sort out all the trade deals.Hopefully much less, but this all takes time.

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 15:55:03

Bad grammar there, but I'm sure you get my drift. I'd offer my own opinion, but would be shouted down as I am not a fluent French-speaker who has lived and worked in France...

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 15:54:23

We shall see next week no doubt. Soubry has already shot a warning over the bow saying that they -the Brexiteers must surely have some clue. If I was an employer -which in effect as voters we all are - I would want at least an inkling that something was being sorted. At the very least it is likely that the business world will be getting agitated if nothing is said soon.

Talk about getting the ducks in a row - I don't think they know what a duck looks like let alone line it up to shoot it down.

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 15:53:02

Perhaps someone who is familiar with the French and their way of life could give us their opinion of why this is.

nigglynellie Sat 01-Oct-16 15:47:42

Three months is hardly long enough even WITH a magic wand let alone without one for anyone to put into place everything that is required of them including a concrete plan for Brexit. I think a little more time is needed!! I too am very glad to see the disability assessment has been dropped, certainly a step in the right direction. What baffles me over the children at Calais is why the French, a civilised nation, allow these vulnerable children to be at such risk on French soil? Surely they should be found a place of safety, until such time as relations in the UK have been located and verified when they can then safely come to the UK. I can't imagine this being allowed to happen at Dover! Imagine the outcry, quite rightly so too.

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 15:44:45

No not exactly but the point was by implication

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 15:37:37

What she actually said was "You know what some people call us: the nasty party."

Not exactly what you keep implying, whitewave.

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 15:28:56

May described the Tory party as the "nasty party" I hope she remembers that in her future policies.

Clarke described May as "that bloody difficult woman" and that may be her downfall. She is difficult to work with. She has so far constantly contradicted her Brexit ministers. They need to get together to form a consistent strategy. The trouble is they continue to squabble about everything from who has which office, whose turn Is Chevening, and the Brexit strategy. Never worry folks all will be teeth and smiles next week for what they hope is the gullible voter.

daphnedill Sat 01-Oct-16 14:56:41

I'm relieved that May is PM rather than any of the other contenders, so it's unfair to claim that I'm against her. She's the PM of the whole country, after all - not just those who voted Conservative.

As far as Brexit is concerned, I can't see how she can possibly come up with a solution which pleases the majority of the country. For a start, 48% of those who voted don't want to leave anyway. Of the rest, people were voting on different promises and the reality is that they can't all be fulfilled. Many of the 52% are going to end up disappointed. Maybe she does have a magic wand - if so, I'll be delighted.

Brexit aside, May made a number of promises in her first speech and she needs to be held accountable for them. So far, the grammar statement is bizarre and goes against the advice of nearly everybody, especially those concerned about raising the attainment of the poorest, which she promised in that speech.

She blatantly targeted her speech at the 'squeezed middle' and hinted that she wanted to help the most vulnerable.

May has always had her critics, even from within Conservative ranks when she was Home Secretary, so it's not surprising that those critics will continue.

Anniebach Sat 01-Oct-16 13:49:59

I agree Daphne , but , difficult as it for me to say ?, she has only been PM a few months, I am pleased that, approx two million will be relieved of the stress and fear of constant assessments, but this is only one teeny step.

It is frightening that still nothing has been done for the children in the jungle, the French say they will demolish it very soon, those children must be saved . Yvette Cooper is fighting for them but without power she cannot bring the children out of there

daphnedill Sat 01-Oct-16 13:31:54

Remember Theresa May's speech as PM?

"I have just been to Buckingham Palace, where Her Majesty the Queen has asked me to form a new government, and I accepted. In David Cameron, I follow in the footsteps of a great, modern Prime Minister. Under David’s leadership, the Government stabilised the economy, reduced the budget deficit, and helped more people into work than ever before. But David’s true legacy is not about the economy, but about social justice. From the introduction of same sex marriage, to taking people on low wages out of income tax altogether, David Cameron has led a one nation government, and it is in that spirit that I also plan to lead. Because not everybody knows this, but the full title of my party is the Conservative and Unionist Party. And that word unionist is very important to me.

It means we believe in the union, the precious, precious bond between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. But it means something else that is just as important, it means we believe in a union not just between the nations of the United Kingdom, but between all of our citizens, every one of us, whoever we are and wherever we are from. That means fighting against the burning injustice that if you’re born poor you will die on average nine years earlier than others. If you’re black, you’re treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you’re white. If you’re a white, working class boy, you’re less likely than anybody else in Britain to go to university. If you’re at a state school, you’re less likely to reach the top professions than if you’re educated privately. If you’re a woman, you will earn less than a man. If you suffer from mental health problems, there’s not enough help to hand. If you’re young, you’ll find it harder than ever before to own your own home.

[Alt-Text]

But the mission to make Britain a country that works for everyone means more than fighting these injustices. If you’re from an ordinary working class family, life is much harder than many people in Westminster realise. You have a job but you don’t always have job security. You have your own home but you worry about paying the mortgage. You can just about manage, but you worry about the cost of living and getting your kids into a good school. If you’re one of those families, if you’re just managing, I want to address you directly. I know you’re working around the clock, I know you’re doing your best and I know that sometimes life can be a struggle. The Government I lead will be driven, not by the interests of the privileged few, but by yours. We will do everything we can to give you more control over your lives. When we take the big calls, we’ll think not of the powerful, but you. When we pass new laws, we’ll listen not to the mighty, but to you. When it comes to taxes, we’ll prioritise not the wealthy, but you. When it comes to opportunity, we won’t entrench the advantages of the fortunate few, we will do everything we can to help anybody, whatever your background, to go as far as your talents will take you.

We are living through an important moment in our country’s history. Following the referendum, we face a time of great national change. And I know because we’re Great Britain that we will rise to the challenge. As we leave the European Union, we will forge a bold, new, positive role for ourselves in the world, and we will make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few, but for every one of us.

That will be the mission of the Government I lead. And together, we will build a better Britain."

It's not unreasonable that she should be judged against that statement.

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 13:21:35

Hmm - so in our critique perhaps we should we begin, "of course it is much more difficult doing the actual job, given the entire backing of the civil service and the support of Murdoch"

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 13:15:43

Maybe, but it's a bit more difficult actually doing the job than it is just telling people what you'd like to do if ever you got the chance.

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 13:00:21

Our negativity mirrors the negativity on the Corbyn thread.

durhamjen Sat 01-Oct-16 12:26:44

Hope she changes this policy.

www.welfareweekly.com/lowering-the-benefit-cap-a-false-economy-says-council/

durhamjen Sat 01-Oct-16 12:24:43

Too late for this man.

www.welfareweekly.com/diabetic-man-forced-to-have-leg-amputated-after-benefits-sanctioned/

Loads more stories on welfareweekly.

durhamjen Sat 01-Oct-16 12:19:54

This is not good.

www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2016/09/30/councils-to-be-allowed-to-opt-out-of-child-protection-laws

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 12:17:15

So many posts ARE negative though thatbags on this subject.Doubt that will end any time soon.
Yes, I was pleased to see constant assessments on people with disabilities that are never going to get better will now stop.A common sense approach is needed .

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 12:16:57

Hmm as you say time will tell. Negativity in those who oppose Tory policies comes as second nature I am afraid, they have done so little for the less fortunate, in fact they have positively harmed many of their life chances. May will have a long hill to climb just to get them back to where they were when the Tories took office.

thatbags Sat 01-Oct-16 11:51:31

I don't think any of May's stated policies are to "ensure" that the balance between the haves and the have nots stays the same. I think she genuinely wants to make a difference to have nots. Time will tell but in the meantime to think that she simply doesn't care about people's needs after the kind of things she has said since becoming PM strikes me as excessively negative.

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 09:40:48

Yes no Pm is all wrong of course it's the balance that counts and the influence from people like Murdoch.

Nothing democratic about that.

May is undoubtedly keen to distance herself from the more extreme of the disastrous osbornomics. It is clear which way the wind us blowing and austerity is so yesterday my dear. Never mind those that suffered were the have nots as long as the haves continue on their merry way, and undoubtedly the balance will not change under May. She's already ensuring that with the attempt to reintroduce Grammer.

Anniebach Sat 01-Oct-16 09:39:03

I was pleased to hear the repeat medical assessments on people with progressive illnesses are to stop

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion