Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another awful day for France.

(122 Posts)
Lillie Thu 14-Jul-16 23:41:09

What can they do? Clearly they weren't expecting something like this - if it had been gunmen they would have been prepared, but a lorry ploughing into crowds of people is dreadful. I feel very sad.

POGS Thu 14-Jul-16 23:53:44

Lillie I am watching this breaking news with so much sadness.

How much more can France take?

It is being reported up to 60 people killed but so far unsubstantiated.

Awful, just bloody awful. My heart goes out to the French Nation again tonight.

POGS Thu 14-Jul-16 23:55:16

Bloody cowards!!!!!!

Lillie Thu 14-Jul-16 23:59:34

Yes, POGs, devastating to watch - lots of innocent people, probably children too,enjoying themselves, then this.

ninathenana Thu 14-Jul-16 23:59:40

I've just seen this on FB. Terrible, scary, sad and makes me angry.

Thoughts are with the loved ones of the deceased.

madamecholet Fri 15-Jul-16 00:11:49

So sad to hear this tonight. The Bastille Day celebration is a family event and this is a truly terrible incident. As so often is the case with these attacks, the perpetrator is said to have been known to the security services, but it must be an impossible task for them to watch every person of interest all the time. We visit Nice several times a year and have many friends there. I am just hoping they are all OK.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 15-Jul-16 00:21:18

Death toll is reported as 73 now. The lorry drove through the crowd for almost 2 km.

kittylester Fri 15-Jul-16 07:14:05

The death toll is now reported to be 84! Horrific. My sister in law was in Nice, on business, until Wednesday. sad

whitewave Fri 15-Jul-16 07:15:24

When is this going to stop. So many children, so much hatred.

suzied Fri 15-Jul-16 07:30:47

So sad. Our thoughts are with those poor people.
Who knows who will be a target.
?????

NanaandGrampy Fri 15-Jul-16 07:34:47

Another sad day for the sanity of the world.

Ordinary people just cannot comprehend acts like these.

Very, very sad.

Jane10 Fri 15-Jul-16 07:35:36

So unimaginably awful. The people were out celebrating liberty, equality and fraternity. Ironic that this (I just want to swear) person decides to destroy just that. Can't say more. sad

Anya Fri 15-Jul-16 07:36:58

Horrible, senseless. The result of hatred. Those poor families.

whitewave Fri 15-Jul-16 07:42:01

Dare I ask this question? What should/could be done about those suspects "known" to intelligence?

They have not committed any known terrorist act, but are suspected or seen as a severe danger to the community in which they live.

Mamie Fri 15-Jul-16 07:46:31

This man was apparently known to the police but not the intelligence services. That sounds like a petty criminal, but obviously we don't know.

gillybob Fri 15-Jul-16 07:48:04

Can't believe i have woken up to this horrific news after the French president only just announced he was ending the current "state of emergency" .

Poor, poor people. So much evil and hatred.

Good question Whitewave but the saying "desperate times call for desperate measures" springs to mind.

Anya Fri 15-Jul-16 07:51:37

Good question whitewave - it is impossible to keep a 24 hour watch on all 'known' people. When something was being organised by groups it was possible that increased activity via Internet, tweets, etc could be picked up and monitored by security services, but someone planning a lone attack in the privacy of their home.....impossible.

Mamie Fri 15-Jul-16 07:52:17

It seems the identity only relates to the papers found in the cab at the moment.

whitewave Fri 15-Jul-16 07:58:51

Perhaps a form of tagging and curfew?

My problem is that I am a strong advocate of human rights and a pacifist at heart. But we are where we are.

Someone on TV mentioned Guantanamo which fills me with horror. I just wish it can be dealt with that reflects our cultural belief in human dignity and basic freedoms.
I am aware though that the perpetrators do not have those beliefs.

annsixty Fri 15-Jul-16 07:59:48

My D is going to Berlin today for a long weekend and this makes me very fearful as I don't believe any where is safe now. I just hope our own intelligence services are fully up to scratch with our own Capitol and our major cities. Sincere condolences to all concerned in France.

M0nica Fri 15-Jul-16 08:08:11

I am sending this post from our house in Normandy where we arrived yesterday afternoon. This morning we woke to glorious weather and.....news of this terrible tragedy.

It seems that once again this outrage has been committed by a 'clean skin', someone with no known links to terrorism, a petty criminal, yes, but nothing else. How can we protect ourselves, or be protected from people who have no known contact with terrorism or extremism?

What we must not do is blame all muslims for the horrors committed by a few. My sympathy goes out to everyone in France and especially those in Nice affected by this outrage

breeze Fri 15-Jul-16 08:20:40

Such hatred. Again. Towards innocent people out having a good time, families, children. It can only be fought at the source. Cutting off money supplies, training camps, and the indoctrination of the young. Until then, it's impossible to know where/who may strike next and even with the best intelligence, someone will slip through the net. My sincere sympathies to those affected in Nice. It's so heart breaking.

inishowen Fri 15-Jul-16 09:40:34

My son was in France to follow the football. I worried the whole time he was there and was relieved that nothing bad happened, and he came home safe. Now evil has struck again. So much hatred to innocent people. Seeing fathers running with their babies in their arms was heartbreaking.

Christinefrance Fri 15-Jul-16 09:51:55

So sad the Fete Nationale will be remembered for this horrific event. I live here in France and it's usually such a friendly family weekend . How can you fight people prepared to die for their cause,. No religious belief can surely support the killing of innocent people and children but it seems that minds and hearts have been corrupted.

Kitspurr Fri 15-Jul-16 09:53:30

Such sad times for France and all peaceful people throughout the world.