Gransnet forums

News & politics

Military coup in Turkey

(43 Posts)
Anya Fri 15-Jul-16 22:30:49

Looks as if the Turkish military are attempting a coup to protect secular democracy.

Birene Sun 17-Jul-16 20:12:12

Kempsy3
I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but I have to agree with you that something doesn't feel right . I have wondered too about the 3,000 judges and there place in this. Their sacking makes me wonder what it is about them that Erdogan doesn't want in his country. Could he be planning a deeper form of Sharia law? That would not be surprising given his Islamist outlook. I can't pretend to have any inside knowledge of modern day Turkey - I spent several weeks there as a hippy in the 60's and found the people kind and welcoming.
Watching and reading copious accounts of what has occurred however, just makes me feel that there is more to this so-called 'coup' than meets the eye.Erdogan is a tricky , backward looking authoritarian who mis - uses the term 'democracy' for his own distasteful ends. I'd put nothing past this man.

maddyone Sun 17-Jul-16 20:31:35

Many - but not all - of the posts on this thread appear to be very opinionated. People who have lived in Turkey clearly have a valid opinion, others, like myself, merely form opinions from media coverage, and the odd trip to Turkey. Personally I have loved visiting a variety of Turkish regions and always found the people to be very hospitable, and I feel extremely saddened by the recent events. I do not care for their president and his policies, but I have formed this opinion from the media reports and I in no way feel qualified to say very much more about this clearly complex situation. My thoughts are with the Turkish people at this very difficult time for them.

Lostmyglassesxx Sun 17-Jul-16 21:35:02

Monica
I was responding to your comment that you did not need to know citizens of a country
Nobody questioned your knowledge
Dont take it so personally
This crisis is not about us

Lostmyglassesxx Sun 17-Jul-16 21:43:35

Monica
Actually you summed up the political and social landscape very well
?

Lilyflower Mon 18-Jul-16 04:31:38

Non western elections have the reputation of 'Once man one vote. Once.' When the 'elected dictator' is in place the repressive crackdown takes place. Personally, I have no sympathy for any creed, political party or group which is based on misogyny and I live in fear of those who would repress women getting the upper hand in my own ( currently) free country. I look on with horror at how the hard won rights of women are being squandered by those who would appease these women hating groups.

Whatever the outcome is in Turkey, God help their women.

Anya Mon 18-Jul-16 06:13:45

Rather than decry 'many' of these posts as 'very opinionated' I would suggest a better, more diplomatic phrase, would be to say there is much 'informed opinion' on this thread.

M0nica Mon 18-Jul-16 07:28:26

I think it is unwise to dismiss other people's knowledge of a situation by attributing cliched and stereotypical views to them. It is possible to understand the political situation in a country without knowing a national from it. Indeed, sometimes to do so can be very misleading.

During the difficulties Sierra Leone had in the 1990s I had a Sierra Leonian friend. She was an economist and academic and I took my understanding of the situation there from her. Then I heard a programme on the World Service where another national of that country gave a completely different interpretation. When I mentioned to my friend she immediately fired off and I realised that the views of my friend and the broadcaster were views from different sides of a political divide. The view I had been getting from my friend was politically very biassed.

Opinion from one or two nationals can be very misleading.

obieone Mon 18-Jul-16 08:08:04

I understand what you are saying, but It is possible to understand the political situation in a country without knowing a national from it I definitely dont agree with.

Like you I have friends from various countries, but I can tell that when they talk about the UK, they are more or less listening to one media outlet only.
That is all well and good, but only up to a point.

So I agree with your secon and third paragraphs, but still can't agree with your first one.

obieone Mon 18-Jul-16 08:10:44

Do you really think that if a person is say in Paraguay, that they are going to be able to properly understand the UK without
a. ever having been here and
b. media only, with or without whatever bias it has?

M0nica Mon 18-Jul-16 08:58:42

Yes, I think they can. The range of information in the media is very wide from far left to far right, there are political magazine and journals, BBC World Survey. There is comment and blogs all over the internet. A person in Paraquay can probably better understand the UK than we do ourselves.

The comment made by lostmyglasses was:
^Monica
Actually you summed up the political and social landscape very well^

I have never met or spoken to anybody from Turkey

Christinefrance Mon 18-Jul-16 10:30:25

Birene you are right , there is something badly amiss here, treatment of judges and troops is dreadful if the stories are correct.
Oh for some good news or tales of man's humanity to man for a change.

obieone Mon 18-Jul-16 11:07:26

I wouldlike to agree to differ with you M0nica.

Lostmyglassesxx Mon 18-Jul-16 12:12:35

And so would I obieone - Monica I think you are losing sight of the subject of the discussion - look up online Paul Rogers CBC radio interview - a fantastic overview from an unbiased expert

Anya Mon 18-Jul-16 12:14:57

Turkey had abolished the death penalty I think. Watch it being brought back now.

petra Mon 18-Jul-16 13:14:40

Erdegan is between a rock and a hard place. He really would like to hang them, but, that really would be the death knell for their entry into the eu and all the goodies that would bring.

Dandibelle Mon 18-Jul-16 15:52:23

Without going into politics. We have owned a house in southern Turkey for 20 odd years. When we first bought it, Turkey looked so different then. Tiny airport which is now a large international one. The main roads were so rough with huge potholes it used to take us over an hour to get to our house. It now takes us 25 mins. The general affluence coming through is unbelievable. just unrecognisable now. It's like being in a different country. Of course there is always the hard working farming communities which even those now on route to our house, have much smarter looking houses and a large number of the young teenagers have even taken to wearing jeans. Have made so many lovely Turkish friends there. Just saying .........

Granny2016 Mon 18-Jul-16 17:29:43

Merkel has said today that if Erdegan brings back the death penalty,it will kill any chance they have of joining the EU.
If he does,I wonder what will happen to the EU agreement with Turkey and asylum seekers/immigrants.
I feel for those Turkish people who oppose Erdegan,it must be very worrying.
I can see whatever freedoms they do have may be eroded.