Gransnet forums

News & politics

On the subject of racism.

(54 Posts)
jevive73 Wed 20-Jul-16 13:48:00

What's an SO??

Tegan Wed 20-Jul-16 13:14:04

What scares me is that the neighbour [it was a woman actually]just assumed that the S.O. would agree with her.

Anniebach Wed 20-Jul-16 13:08:47

It doesn't matter that one man works and has musical talents whist the other man does sod all .there has always been people like Mr Sod All, but it is a fact since the referendum people seem to think they have won the freedom to verbally and/or physically abuse those who are not British. Police forces are dealing with a rapid increase in racial abuse . I too feel both sad and angry

Tegan Wed 20-Jul-16 12:32:01

A while back I mentioned how many racist comments I used to hear from people when I was at work but couldn't give any specific examples as it had all been a few years ago. I just wanted to mention this; more to get it off my chest really because I'm so angry about it. The S.O. was working on his front garden yesterday. His neighbour has a rose bush that's going a bit rampant and the roses are overhanging the fence. Another neighbour walked past, pushed the rose branch out of the way, turned to the S.O. and said 'bloody foreigners'. He was so taken aback he couldn't think of a good reply. The foreigner in question gets up early for work each day, comes back quite late and travels the world with his job. He's also a talented musician and an all round good guy. As far as I know the neighbour who complained has a family that, to my knowledge, have contributed nothing to society; in fact there are things about them that I daren't mention on a public forum. This is the sort of thing I overheard at work time and time again. It saddens me so much. I still maintain that brexit has fuelled this even more.