Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit watch, round 2

(1001 Posts)
petra Thu 21-Jul-16 20:35:01

Jalima Some people are having difficulty understanding that the remain camp lost the vote. They failed. They lost. They came second.

whitewave Fri 22-Jul-16 12:11:06

Forgot to add -the £ has tumbled as a result of the news of plunging economic activity.

durhamjen Fri 22-Jul-16 12:41:55

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/21/brexit-could-force-multibillion-pound-projects-to-be-scrapped-says-nao-chief

More Brexit misery. May have to scrap the Northern powerhouse.

Firecracker123 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:05:47

Theresa May says Brexit means Brexit and there will be no attempt to remain in the EU. whether it is binding or non binding it is going to happen.

durhamjen Fri 22-Jul-16 13:09:37

Your point is, firecracker?
I think we already know that. However, it will not happen until 2019 at the earliest, by which time there could be another election.

Firecracker123 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:10:58

Gracegran I am sure daphnedill can take it. Perhaps all the Remainers should calm down, get off their high horses and just accept the result and get on with their lives instead of this relentless doom and gloom.

daphnedill Fri 22-Jul-16 13:16:23

I'm quite chillaxed, thank you very much. What's this about horses?

There's nothing I can do about the result, so I have no choice but to get on with my life, but I'm still entitled to an opinion and I think it was the most stupid thing the UK has done in my lifetime. I have no intention of sticking my head in the sand about the consequences.

Get over it!

Firecracker123 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:18:53

The PM has said Article 50 will be triggered at the end of the year. Once it had been triggered we will leave the EU 2 years from that date. Their will be no general election before then she has already said. Even it there was Labour hasn't a hope in hell of getting in. You seem to have gone very quiet about Corbyn. Suppose nothing good to say about him.
I'm off now to enjoy the sunshine.

Firecracker123 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:21:25

daphnedill I have nothing to get over I voted leave and I am glad I did. Off now to enjoy the sunshine.

Lazigirl Fri 22-Jul-16 13:27:16

Obviously we have to get on with our lives but it isn't easy when every day since the decision the economic figures are so depressing. Have just seen on news that the PMI, which is the Purchasing Managers' Index has fallen to levels not seen since April 2009, before the economic crash. This is a realistic indicator apparently of how the economy is doing. I must admit I'd not heard of it before.

whitewave Fri 22-Jul-16 13:30:01

We could all join the Brexiteers in La La Land and pretend nothing is happening, and as a result be happy in our decision to vote out.

Tegan Fri 22-Jul-16 13:31:04

Perhaps 'Project fear' is fast becoming 'reality'.

obieone Fri 22-Jul-16 13:42:41

I had no idea, until I came onto gransnet, that there are so many people who are so pessimistic about life.

I enjoy life. I am only on this earth once, and time is so short. I have no intention of wasting it by doom and gloom. [I am not talking about if someone has ill health or other major problems].
But day to day life. No way am I going to go about being anything but accepting of what we have right now.

We live in the 6th wealthiest country on earth!!!!!!!!!!

And I am saying this as someone who cannot afford a new kitchen, havne't had a holiday abroad for at least 5 years, and watches pennies.

Smileless2012 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:48:59

I don't live in La La Land, I'm not pretending nothing is happening and yet remain happy with the decision I made to vote to leave the EU.

Mr. S. voted to stay, there's no split or division in our home. He doesn't consider him self to be the forgotten voter so why do any of you? It's been one month since the decision to leave was taken by the majority of those who thought this decision important enough to vote for.

I wonder what some would be posting had the vote gone the other way. I'm pretty certain you'd be sick to death of all of the negativity, the 'we're doomed, we're doomed' soothsayers by those who'd voted to leave if the majority had voted to stay.

whitewave Fri 22-Jul-16 13:53:27

No we wouldn't it would have simply be status quo with the economy not under threat, the £ stable, our scientist continue to get funding, and so on.

obieone Fri 22-Jul-16 14:00:25

No, it wouldnt have been simply the status quo. the EU had all sorts of things ready to bring in.
And the leavers didnt like the status quo either!

The economy will likely boom, I dont know where the £ will be, up eventually I presume, and no reason at all to think scientists wont get funding[and you do know that other countries not in the EU give funding to scientists too I presume?]

Chin up!

durhamjen Fri 22-Jul-16 14:24:29

Obieone lives in La La land.

Granny2016 Fri 22-Jul-16 14:42:01

I could understand the animosity from some remain voters,if we had voted to leave a stable and thriving EU.
We have not.
Thankfully,the remain voters in my own circle are pragmatic people who accept the decision to leave (not without their disappointment) and are prepared to do their bit.
One who has never voted Conservative,felt optimistic by the fresh start and a new cabinet.
A country cannot make such an enormous change without initial uncertainty,but that is no reason to suppose that we cannot thrive.
I received a dollar work payment yesterday..Apart from a few higher days July and a very low few days around the 23rd June,the exchange rate into sterling was the best for several months.

Granny2016 Fri 22-Jul-16 14:43:57

Durhamjen.....That is a very ungracious comment to make towards Obieone.

suzied Fri 22-Jul-16 14:48:02

PM did not say article 50 will be triggered at the end of the year she said it would not be triggered before the end of the year, which presumably means 2017.

yggdrasil Fri 22-Jul-16 14:56:10

Daphnedill has said it correctly
"There's nothing I can do about the result, so I have no choice but to get on with my life, but I'm still entitled to an opinion and I think it was the most stupid thing the UK has done in my lifetime."
The relentless doom and gloom is what was anticipated, foretold by experts, and ignored by the Brexit voters. You can't really be surprised if we sometimes say "We told you so."
Get over it.

Tegan Fri 22-Jul-16 15:01:11

'the EU had all sorts of things ready to bring in' what were they? Please remind me. I know Cameron had negotiated not having to pay immigrants benefits for several year after they arrived. But, oh dear, that's not going to happen now is it?

durhamjen Fri 22-Jul-16 16:24:46

Ready for the immigrants all coming here in the next two years to claim loads of benefits while we are still in the EU, Tegan.

Washerwoman Fri 22-Jul-16 16:36:42

Daphne. As almost all my working life has been dedicated to opening minds to Europe.Good for you.Half of mine was in the public sector.the other half running a small bussiness seeing local needs within a 12 mile or so radius.guess I'm a parochial numpty.We have however hosted several exchange students,a Belgian one or the whole summer and a Kosovan student for 8 months.I did go to French classes for 6 years.My best friend is Irish.My DH worked closely with the Swedes,Dutch and Danish and we retain links with them.Oh and I've just dashed in to prepare a lovely meal as our DDs is coming over with her new partner -Italian - who were meeting for the first time and I'm really looking forward to the evening and hope she likes us as much as we like the sound of her from other DDS. Does any of that count.Sorry to say but you do sound a tad patronising at times.
Oh and yesterday I mentioned the massive Chinese investment in Sheffield, but typically that was met with silence.
Alex Polizi Rocco Forte's granddaughter and a successful bussiNess woman is very proud leave and stated of course I'm European and will always consider myself so.But the EU is like a badly run hotel where if you complain the manager seats you away like a pesky fly.So I'm totally happy with my vote and not for one minute regret it.

Tegan Fri 22-Jul-16 16:46:47

'and are prepared to do their bit'..ok so, other than 'stop moaning' can you tell me what I'm supposed to do to, 'do my bit'? Should I walk around with a permanent grin on my face wearing a 'I'm Back In Control Tshirt'? I feel that I'm in the land of 'Dig for Victory' and/or 'Your Country Needs You' confused.

Smileless2012 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:49:43

Yes, any of those sound quite good Tegan.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion