Gransnet forums

News & politics

More United - is this the way forward in politics?

(104 Posts)
Gracesgran Sun 24-Jul-16 11:09:41

Did anyone see the interview on Marr with Paddy Ashdown? According to him this is not a political party but a movement which will be funded by those who wish to back it and may be of any party or none. They will then fund people standing for parliament who adhere to their views.

I am not sure I would agree with all the views it would stand for (really have no idea at this point) but I do like the thought that politics would come more under the control of small money rather than big money.

Is this how we will see politics move forward? Movements such as this - which sees itself as centrist; Momentum on the left and, perhaps UKIP turning into such a movement on the right each supporting candidates, no matter what their party, who support the movements views?

Gracesgran Wed 03-Aug-16 11:43:52

I couldn't agree more dd but who will bring a left of centre government to power, a Labour Party that is riven or a coalition of the left of centre parties? I think we have to wait a while to see.

nightowl Tue 02-Aug-16 13:50:55

I'm glad that was clear yggdrasil. I agree there are others with those values, and many more with whom they have struck a chord - particularly young people who have no experience of politicians with beliefs and principles, only personal ambition. Whatever happens now, the genie is out of the bottle and we have remembered there is a different way.

Lazigirl Tue 02-Aug-16 13:50:52

Looks an attractive idea but don't think would work unless there is a change to a system of proportional representation. Historically "break away" movements have not succeeded.

yggdrasil Tue 02-Aug-16 13:42:03

Nightowl: He is very clear that he has not joined momentum to support Jeremy Corbyn but to support the values that Jeremy Corbyn represents, if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense to me. There are others with those values, but very few of them are in the PLP or the media. Hence the problem with getting those values made clear to the general public.

whitewave Tue 02-Aug-16 08:51:03

My little dog would be given the BMW award. Made of solid gold with a sky blue ribbon.

Gononsuch Tue 02-Aug-16 08:45:13

I think Cameron done what most people in his position would do, I hate to say it but I think a lot of people on GN would give their pets a medal.

May is not going to endorse the awards, not sure what that means, I and I can't see anyone saying no to any award Cameron has made.

Sir philip Green, says it all really.

daphnedill Mon 01-Aug-16 23:04:55

Universal Basic Income, PR, nationalisation of the railways, action on tax havens, etc won't happen unless a government supporting them is in power. The opposition needs to work hard to persuade people that most people will benefit. The Labour Party in its current state is just not going to persuade the majority of people to vote for it.

durhamjen Mon 01-Aug-16 22:58:13

How strange, Gracesgran.
The pdf is in English on my computer. It's rather long, though, 96 pages. I've read some of it, but will leave the rest for tomorrow.

Gracesgran Mon 01-Aug-16 21:38:14

I don't think 38 degrees can offer the chance of a left of centre party to challenge the Tories and that seems to be what these alliances are aiming at trisher.

I had the BIEN email Jen and tried to click through to more information but, not unreasonably, after the bit you linked it was in Finnish smile. It certainly seems under discussion in quite a few countries and it will be interesting to see the outcome of the various experiments.

daphnedill Mon 01-Aug-16 21:31:56

I think there's an appetite for some kind of centre left alliance, but nobody's quite sure or confident enough to form a separate party at this stage.

However the arguments in the Labour Party turn out, it's almost impossible for it to win an overall majority in the next alliance, so even if it is the largest party, it's going to have to form alliances and compromise on some of its principles anyway.

durhamjen Mon 01-Aug-16 20:44:32

basicincome.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1ee7284968c494ec88c2f40c9&id=4404b5f5b8&e=42f35f1694

durhamjen Mon 01-Aug-16 20:43:19

I notice that your link to Compass has a link to universal basic income.
Finland is going to bring it in in 2017.

trisher Mon 01-Aug-16 20:36:19

I think an organisation like 38 degrees is something people find more attractive. Possibly because it doesn't have links to politicians but is a campaigning body.

Gracesgran Mon 01-Aug-16 20:18:10

I don't mean to advertise but this seems in the same vein as More United and Compass. The Alternative: towards a new progressive politics

Based on two premises – that working together with like-minded people produces better outcomes, and the UK may have reached the point where only some form of ‘progressive alliance’ will ever deliver a left-of-centre government – it is a collection of essays compiled jointly by a leading Labour MP (Lisa Nandy), a Liberal Democrat (Chris Bowers), and a Green (Caroline Lucas). It covers policies and values that could unite the progressives, and looks at the possible mechanics for cooperation.

It seems to be backed by Compass so perhaps we need a Compass thread to see what is happening with them confused

daphnedill Tue 26-Jul-16 23:59:46

They won't get into power with PR either, unless they're prepared to form an alliance and compromise on some ideals.

durhamjen Tue 26-Jul-16 23:36:53

But when the new BOUNDARIES come in for seats, labour stands to lose 40, so they will never get in power with FPTP.
If you look at the map on the Caroline Lucas link, you will see that many labour MPs voted in favour.
The vote was on AV, not PR.

daphnedill Tue 26-Jul-16 23:11:25

Lucas' PR Bill is a nice idea but is never going to succeed while two main parties benefit from FPTP. The public blew it when given a chance of reform in a referendum.

The country needs to work towards a multi-party system and start making some deals if people are ever going to feel they are truly represented.

daphnedill Tue 26-Jul-16 23:07:18

I don't think there's any formal connection between Compass and MoreTogether. Compass started off as a Labour Party pressure group and has morphed into more of a cross party thinktank promoting a progressive alliance.

The two groups' values are very similar, so it would be ironic and sad if they couldn't work together.

durhamjen Tue 26-Jul-16 23:01:27

www.makevotesmatter.org.uk/mps-on-reform/

About Caroline Lucas's PR bill.

durhamjen Tue 26-Jul-16 22:50:33

Can't find anything out about that, Gracesgran.
Idid find out about someone called Sunny Hundal, who was liberal but told everyone to vote Tory in 2010, then joined the labour party so he could influence their decisions.
He sounds a bit mixed up.

Gracesgran Tue 26-Jul-16 18:35:20

Does anyone know if there is any connection between this movement and 'Compass'? If not does anyone know what Compass hopes to achieve as they have some of the same people on board.

durhamjen Tue 26-Jul-16 18:32:17

Nearly 19,500 supporters now.

whitewave Tue 26-Jul-16 18:31:43

I wonder what will happen?

durhamjen Tue 26-Jul-16 18:30:30

That's right, Gracesgran. They just want to know how much support they will have by September.

daphnedill Tue 26-Jul-16 00:09:48

I'm one of the 'supporters'. I haven't given any money and I'm certainly not going to stand as a candidate. I'm just curious to know what's going on.