Gransnet forums

News & politics

More United - is this the way forward in politics?

(103 Posts)
Gracesgran Sun 24-Jul-16 11:09:41

Did anyone see the interview on Marr with Paddy Ashdown? According to him this is not a political party but a movement which will be funded by those who wish to back it and may be of any party or none. They will then fund people standing for parliament who adhere to their views.

I am not sure I would agree with all the views it would stand for (really have no idea at this point) but I do like the thought that politics would come more under the control of small money rather than big money.

Is this how we will see politics move forward? Movements such as this - which sees itself as centrist; Momentum on the left and, perhaps UKIP turning into such a movement on the right each supporting candidates, no matter what their party, who support the movements views?

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 11:12:20

Well given the woeful lack of decent opposition, anything is better than nothing at the moment. Not sure how it will work though. Perhaps it's the beginnings of feeling the way forward to another more presentative political party. Who knows?

Gononsuch Sun 24-Jul-16 11:23:30

Does anybody realize how many different cultures a new party will need to embrace to gain enough support to even worry the 2 main parties. confused

DaphneBroon Sun 24-Jul-16 11:27:08

Aren't parties and movements such as these about politics, not "cultures"?confused

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 11:30:39

Well don't forget we had a referendum because the Prime Minister of the time was worried about support draining away from the Tory party to UKIP.

That's maybe all it would take for political parties to toe the line and get their house in order.

I think the two main parties have two entirely different views(apart from the obvious) the Tories will do anything to get into and retain power. Labour is all about principle and ideology and in some cases e.g. Corbyn - sod power. They believe that change comes from the grass roots and social change. I am however unclear exactly how change in this model comes about though.

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 11:31:12

www.moreunited.uk/beliefs

I put this on a different thread.

Gracesgran Sun 24-Jul-16 11:31:13

This isn't intended to be a new party Gononsuch. From what I gathered - and I will caveat that again to say I don't know - the idea is that anyone can subscribe through some sort of crowd funding - even if you belong to another party. They have set out their principles and will use the funds raised to back anyone standing who espouses these. From what PA said, if there are several possibilities in one area the members of More United in that area will interview them and decide who to back.

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 11:32:24

They've got nearly 5000 supporters already.

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 11:34:27

It will be interesting to see what the other parties think, about whether they can belong to this group as well as the party.

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 11:36:26

Definitely pro EU.

annsixty Sun 24-Jul-16 11:37:33

Anyone else think was about the start of the football season?

Gracesgran Sun 24-Jul-16 11:37:48

Sorry Jen. I did think of adding that to an existing thread but thought it deserved one of its own so I missed your link.

This is today's Mar programme and the item is about 19 minutes and 26 seconds in.

Gracesgran Sun 24-Jul-16 11:38:49

Sorry annsixty I don't think it can be changed.

annsixty Sun 24-Jul-16 11:40:27

No probs. I hate politics and football equally.

Anniebach Sun 24-Jul-16 11:49:06

I don't see the son in law of the duke of Westminster as small money

I did ask on another thread, how can a Tory MP and a Labour MP vote with their party whip if they agree to agree

They want to do what momentum now do, get their own into power so I am against it

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 12:32:02

That's okay, Gracesgran. Idid think about another thread, and that's why I noticed this one.
I get very confused by the number of new threads started on similar subjects. But I agree, it's important enough for its own thread.
One thing I have noticed is the number of SDP members on it.

Gracesgran Sun 24-Jul-16 12:33:14

I wasn't really asking what people are for and against politically AB but more - is this a way politics could move forwards?

Not at all sure what the D of W has to do with the idea that there might be various movements which support an overall area of politics and use modern technology to raise money and support various MPs. I suppose the MPs would be put forward by parties which, as we are seeing, would have a smaller and more 'committed to the party' membership.

I have asked GNHQ if they could change the title and I am sure they will if they can.

Gracesgran Sun 24-Jul-16 12:38:00

One thing I have noticed is the number of SDP members on it.
Not really surprised Jen; a lot have felt homeless for some time.

I quite like the idea of movement, wherever it is going, as the parties - until the recent rise in numbers for the LP and LDs - have been haemorrhaging members.

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 12:43:36

Clare Gerada a convenor. Used to be head of the GPC. Very anti Jeremy Hunt.

At the moment all they are wanting is expressions of interest, so no political party.

Anniebach Sun 24-Jul-16 12:49:58

Gracesgran, politics is all about for and against

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 14:10:51

Over 7000 now.

obieone Sun 24-Jul-16 14:23:18

When it gets to about 7 million I may sit up and take notice. Right now, I just dont get it.

daphnedill Sun 24-Jul-16 14:24:11

@Gg

Dan Snow is married to the Duke of Westminster's daughter, who has spent some of her own money on prison reform. Dan is one of the 'convenors'. However, his gt gt grandfather was Lloyd George and he's been quite active politically.

I confess that I don't really understand how it would work, unless MPs were prepared to stand as independents.

rosesarered Sun 24-Jul-16 14:27:06

I thought it a bit of a daft idea tbh and not one of Paddy's best.

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 14:29:09

I don't think they will be bothered, obie.