Gransnet forums

News & politics

The arrogance of the filthy rich

(94 Posts)
whitewave Mon 25-Jul-16 21:27:49

Green I mean.

A billionaire who is not willing to cough up 600million to replace what he milked from the pension fund and gave to his wife.

He's now just taken delivery of his third luxury yacht.
The pensioners who used to work for him will take a cut on their 4k pension.

He also owns Topshop.

Jalima Tue 26-Jul-16 20:57:39

*GillT57^
It would be great if more marinas made him unwelcome, and also all his so called celebrity friends ( Kate Moss etc) should start distancing themselves from him.
Ha ha, fat chance, money talks!!

And as for --Sacks of Gold- Goldman Sachs, I am sure they knew exactly what was happening, they probably help many other people in this way; as long as they get their cut they will be happy. Wasn't it a Goldman Sachs director who didn't notice that someone was filching thousands and thousands of pounds out of her current account?

M0nica Tue 26-Jul-16 21:00:55

...and being thoroughly bitchy, despite having the money to buy the most expensive beautiful designer clothes they both always look as if they have bought cheap badly fitting clothes at a street market. Lady G's clothes are always too tight with crease marks at the crotch or round the stomach as well as round her midriff.

*Gaggi, it is called declining marginal utility. To begin with every accretion of a unit of wealth adds a substantial sum to happiness then the amount of happiness per unit starts declining until there is no change at all. At what point this happens will vary from person to person.

Jalima Tue 26-Jul-16 21:09:10

No class grin
let him sail the world with her indoors
whitewave did you mean her indoors (as entitled by Luckylegs) has no class?

That is fairly obvious from photos in the press.
What did Dolly Parton say?
"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap"

I am like Peter Mandelson in that I have no problem in people becoming rich (not filthy rich I must stipulate) as long as they pay the taxes due, pay their employees a decent living wage and maintain a good pension fund for them, pay their suppliers on time - and support charities of their choosing. In fact, that old-fashioned term, a philanthropist.

Jalima Tue 26-Jul-16 21:12:01

I do hope they can pin Mr Green down, at least it may stop DH muttering and swearing about him; DH has been chuntering about him for years and years.

whitewave Tue 26-Jul-16 21:13:18

Neither one of them. He looks like a barrow boy and she looks like a fish wife. Apologise to both trades. He certainly sounds like one. And his hair!!!! Honestly.

durhamjen Tue 26-Jul-16 21:30:15

Lovely picture, that, Jalima, pinned down like an insect squirming on a board.

Jalima Tue 26-Jul-16 21:52:56

In fact, Green went to what was termed 'The Jewish Eton', a rather exclusive boarding school Carmel College.
You can take the boy out of Croydon but .....

(many apologies to anyone from Croydon, my perfectly respectable friend comes from Croydon)

In April 1980, Green registered a philanthropic initiative, the Kahn Charitable Trust, with a vision of "putting lost smiles back on the faces of less privileged persons across the globe.
Green is a supporter of the Fashion Retail Academy and the industry charity Retail Trust. Green was knighted on 17 June 2006.

In May 2007, after the disappearance of Madeleine McCann in Portugal, Green donated £250,000 as a monetary reward for any useful public information. He also gave the McCanns the use of his private jet to allow them to fly to Rome for a Papal visit
In 2010, Green donated $465,000 for new beds at the Royal Marsden cancer hospital, after his wife Tina’s mother died there. He also spent more than $150,000 for an Alexander McQueen dress at Naomi Campbell’s Fashion for Relief charity event.
Green donated £100,000 to the Evening Standard's Dispossessed Fund which aims to support London's poorest people.

I know these amounts are like me donating a fiver - but what has changed him into such an avaricious and hated person? Is it the influence of her indoors? If she ultimately owns the companies, is she pulling the strings?

durhamjen Tue 26-Jul-16 22:36:34

People can donate money like that if they are not paying their taxes. Personally, I'd rather they paid their taxes so that all hospitals could have decent beds, and there were no dispossessed people in London or anywhere else.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/07/25/greens-greed/

Disgruntled Wed 27-Jul-16 05:14:16

Yes, DJ, I'm not impressed by his donations - small change to him and they were made public, so, as usual, nothing subtle or classy about these gestures.

whitewave Wed 27-Jul-16 07:23:20

Helped to buy his knighthood. There is usually a price on them.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 27-Jul-16 07:24:41

He should lose his knighthood and pay back the money.
A knighthood used to be an honourable title but as previously noted it's dished out willynilly to all and sundry these days. Worthless.

petra Wed 27-Jul-16 08:17:22

I've just been reading that the Grimaldi family are concerned about the image the Greens are giving to Monaco. They can take her residency away.
They do know that they have shady people living there and are ok with that as long as these people keep their faces below the radar.

annsixty Wed 27-Jul-16 08:55:52

I knew little about PG as I don't read business news but I remember seeing photos in the press about a party he threw for his I think 50 th birthday. He was in a toga and had spent millions flying the great and good to the venue. It summed him up instantly for me, a crass egotist who would do anything to be noticed. Losing the knighthood would be terrible for them both. Roll on the day.

JessM Wed 27-Jul-16 10:03:28

I don't think knighthoods were ever honourable - unless you consider chopping the maximum number of your opponents to pieces on a battlefield as an honourable activity. Time they got rid of the honours system as it is just another way in which the priveleged give each other a leg up. Cameron's retirement honours list is being blocked. He gave his advisors a payout that was far more than the norm and has now nominated them for knighthoods etc.
Time to ditch political honours. And prune the bloated house of lords and make it a house full of professional experts rather than retired/failed politicians and donors to political parties.
As for Green - he should be in prison shouldn't he?

auntbett Wed 27-Jul-16 10:15:31

Revolting, amoral slug.

EmilyHarburn Wed 27-Jul-16 11:23:36

Green is unfortunately a fairly typical example of the modern capitalist.

In the past entrepreneurs who made great wealth usually gave back money to their communities. Lord lever Hulme was no paragon of capitalist virtue (see his plantations on the Congo) but his legacy is to be respected:

Legacy[edit]
Lever was a major benefactor to his native town, Bolton, where he was made a Freeman of the County Borough in 1902. He bought Hall i' th' Wood, one time home of Samuel Crompton, and restored it as a museum for the town.
He donated 360 acres (1.5 km2) of land and landscaped Lever Park in Rivington in 1902.
Lever was responsible for the formation of Bolton School after re-endowing Bolton Grammar School and Bolton High School for Girls in 1913. He donated the land for Bolton's largest park, Leverhulme Park, in 1914.[21]

Leverhulme endowed a school of tropical medicine at Liverpool University, gave Lancaster House in London to the British nation and endowed the Leverhulme Trust set up to provide funding for publications of education and research. The garden of his former London residence 'The Hill' in Hampstead, designed by Thomas Mawson, is open to the public[22] and has been renamed Inverforth House.[23] A blue plaque at Inverforth House commemorating Leverhulme was unveiled by his great-granddaughter, Jane Heber-Percy, in 2002.[24]

He built many houses in Thornton Hough which became a model village comparable to Port Sunlight[25] and in 1906 built Saint Georges United Reformed Church.[26]
The Lady Lever Art Gallery opened in 1922 and is in the Port Sunlight conservation area. In 1915 Lever acquired a painting entitled "Suspense" by Charles Burton Barber (an artist who came to resent 'manufacturing pictures for the market'). The painting was previously owned by his competitor, A & F Pears, who used paintings such as "Bubbles" by John Everett Millais to promote its products. Much of Leverhulme's art collection is displayed in the gallery which houses one of the finest formed by an industrialist in England.[5]

A.N. Wilson from the Mail Online, January 2010, remarked, "The altruism of Leverhulme or the Cadbury family are in sad contrast to the antisocial attitude of modern business magnates, who think only of profit and the shareholder."[27]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lever,_1st_Viscount_Leverhulme

GillT57 Wed 27-Jul-16 11:27:39

Well, I think that after all of our chuntering and keen political points that you auntbett have summed it up most eloquently. grin

durhamjen Wed 27-Jul-16 12:30:00

Hope not. A slug will be able to escape from prison.