Gransnet forums

News & politics

Social mobility and grammar schools

(334 Posts)
JessM Thu 28-Jul-16 20:30:15

There are mutterings that under Teresa May there may be a relaxation of the rules about opening new grammar schools. But will they just be another route by which privileged parents give their children an additional advantage?
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/28/social-mobility-doesnt-exist-grammar-schools-part-problem?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

gettingonabit Tue 09-Aug-16 15:33:32

I agree that the biggest problem in schools is poor behaviour, followed closely by mixed ability setting. Teaching mixed ability sets is difficult, but possible if behaviour is good. If behaviour is poor, all pupils suffer. As do the teachers.

Heads are reluctant to admit to poor discipline; in many cases the blame is passed onto the teacher. The teacher has limited sanctions, no support from the Head, and nowhere to turn to for support.

I'm surprised anyone becomes a teacher these days.

Mamie Tue 09-Aug-16 15:48:06

Sorry that wasn't clear Daphne. Obviously I meant the lower-ability pupils in the group already selected by the 11+.

durhamjen Tue 09-Aug-16 16:05:11

www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2016/08/09/grammar-schools-are-another-stick-to-beat-the-working-class

The first assignment I wrote as part of the sociology of education course was about how grammar and private schools reduced the choices of those who went to them.

durhamjen Tue 09-Aug-16 16:07:54

My 23 year old granddaughter has just become a teacher, gettingonabit.
Her father and I are both surprised. He's a teacher; so was I.

daphnedill Tue 09-Aug-16 16:09:25

I thought that was probably what you meant, but just wanted clarify. As an ex-comprehensive school teacher 'lower ability' means something quite specific.

I suspect the differentiation in grammar schools isn't as good as it should be. In a grammar school which admits about 30% of the cohort, there's a massive difference between the most and least able - much wider than the middle 60-70% in a comprehensive.

daphnedill Tue 09-Aug-16 16:10:57

I've told my children I'll disown them if they become teachers! (Joking)

Mamie Tue 09-Aug-16 16:26:46

Was thinking as a retired inspector. grin

gettingonabit Tue 09-Aug-16 16:50:36

Good luck to her, dj. I think she'll need it only half joking.