Gransnet forums

News & politics

Beginning to distrust Jeremy Corbyn

(1001 Posts)
M0nica Mon 08-Aug-16 19:57:08

What ever else I may think about JC, I did believe he was a man with principles, who stuck to them.

However, I am beginning to doubt that he is the sea-green incorruptible he is made out to be. Last year he said on television that he saw no case for appointing new peers and would not do so. Now he has nominated Shami Chakrabati fora peerage.

We now read that in a news interview he has suggested he could remain at the helm of the party even after a general election defeat.

M0nica Mon 08-Aug-16 22:43:16

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. I am not and never have been a labour supporter but I try not to condemn politicians out of hand just because they belong to a party I do not support.

I was well aware he had consorted with people most people wouldn't touch with a barge pole but put that down mainly to naivety, verging at times to stupidity, but I did think he stood for what he said.

Seems he is as duplicitous as Tony Blair.

phoenix Mon 08-Aug-16 22:49:07

obione I totally agree with you re dress, to dress for the role is almost a sign of respect.

Many years ago when I was only teaching riding, I would wear "proper" attire, jods, either a proper shirt or a polo shirt , never a T shirt!

Then when in a business where meeting clients, always suited and booted, so to speak.

Bit different now!

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 22:59:43

No such luck Petra, probably placed their allegiance via momentum. The momentum rallies are rather alarming, I wait for them to start singing that song from .carbaret - Tomorrow Belongs To Me

Gracesgran Mon 08-Aug-16 23:03:34

I seems to me that Jeremy Corbyn, a life long Labour member, certainly represents a very large number of people. I just heard someone say that the Labour Party is now the largest party in Europe. It appears that many of those members would vote for him to lead them as much as it is apparent that some want a different sort of party alltogether. I can only see one end to this.

I don't think the machinations of the party re votes take when Jeremy has left and then spending party money (all those £25s?) to challenge the court ruling makes them any more trust worthy than the man they seem determine not to allow party members to vote for.

M0nica Mon 08-Aug-16 23:04:09

The next thing we know Momentum supporters will be marching through London in matching Tshirts.

Does anyone remember the send up of Sir Oscar Moseley in the the Jeeves books by P G Woodhouse? Wonderful dramatised in the series with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. I must dig up my DVD and watch it again. I seem to remember that the character in the series, was really quite Corbynesque!

Gracesgran Mon 08-Aug-16 23:04:11

altogether!

Jalima Mon 08-Aug-16 23:12:48

He has the charisma and presence of a used tea bag
One that is still wet and dripping phoenix

I must say I think he has been a huge disappointment; he is essentially a fringe politician with out-dated views and never seems to have grown in experience or stature since his days as a student activist and early trade unionist.

Tonight Laura Kuenssburg presented a post-referendum summary programme and I watched JC in re-runs of his 'campaigning' for the Remain campaign. Did those who are adamant that he campaigned vigorously around the country for Remain really watch him? He was luke-warm and looked embarrassed, as if he wished he was anywhere but campaigning.
And as for that fur coat fiasco .....

I read a young girls post on Twitter - we are not a cult, we adore Jeremy and will follow him.
Does she not realise that is exactly what a cult is; has she any idea what he is doing to the Labour Party?

My dad would have had plenty to say on the subject too, another staunch Labour voter and trade unionist, not a sham one.

daphnedill Mon 08-Aug-16 23:18:12

Don't forget that Oswald Mosley was at one time a Labour MP.

Jalima Mon 08-Aug-16 23:18:52

However many Labour Party members vote for him, they are still a small percentage of the voting population of this country.

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 23:33:33

Jalima, I doubt many of the young Corbyn voters have the foggiest idea ofcwhatvthey are really voting for, they of the age when they see a rebellious hero and so support him , expect quite a number will vote Tory when they grow up and quite a number will vote green when they tire of trying save their hero and decide to save the planet

Jalima Mon 08-Aug-16 23:50:44

rebellious that was the word I was searching for in my brain, a rebellious backbencher.
He must have had some spark at one time then, but he does seem like a well-used dripping teabag (to coin a phrase) nowadays, particularly in the referendum campaign.

Not exactly Superman!

moon

daphnedill Tue 09-Aug-16 00:07:10

My daughter in her early 20s is a member of the Labour Party and canvassed for them during the last election. The constituency where she knocked on doors and stuffed envelopes was even a Labour gain. I was talking to her a couple of weeks ago about politics and she's very disillusioned with Corbyn. Even she can see that he's no leader. She doesn't know ho to vote for. She's quite sympathetic to the Greens, but she wants to vote for a party which is likely to gain power - and there isn't one apart from the Conservatives.

It really worries me that young people are naturally rebellious and anti-establishment (and who can blame them with the current establishment?), because some of them don't support Corbyn at all and are more likely to turn to right-wing populist groups.

It's a good thing that disaffected youth are becoming interested in politics. They're not interested in the flat cap, working class traditional Labour Party, but there has to be something better than this. It's really scary, because this government is as yet unknown, but have the potential to be destructive. We desperately need an effective oppostion.

daphnedill Tue 09-Aug-16 00:09:34

For Jalima...

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3181054/Twitter-pays-tribute-wonderfully-delicious-Jeremy-Corbyn-hilarious-spoof-account-Photoshops-MP-s-face-hunky-film-stars-bodies.html

daphnedill Tue 09-Aug-16 00:11:24

hmm

DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 04:02:36

What I don't understand is why other very competent Labour MPs such as Hilary Benn, Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Stella Creasy among them have shown no desire to step up to a leadership contest. Is is because it is too long until a general election? That might have been the case with a fixed term parliament, but Brexit could yet trigger a snap election and Labour is being plunged/plunging itself into such disarray their hopes of winning are receding faster and faster. Result? A confirmed Conservative party in office until whenever. And that is not even counting in the virtual wipe out if the Labour Party in Scotland. There must be some desperate Labour supporters of all ages seeing the virtual disappearance of a credible Opposition.
Or is it just "silly season" politics?

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 07:25:31

Perhaps they think the JC stuff will just blow itself out?

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 07:26:55

That he will make "mistakes" to make himself more and more unelectable to most, nad they are just biding their time?

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 07:27:25

they being HIllary Benn etc

sunseeker Tue 09-Aug-16 07:53:50

I am not a labour party supporter but when JC was elected leader I did think that he was a man of principle who was out of his depth and had been elected to a position beyond his abilities. Whilst I think that is how he started out I think he is now so desperate to hold on as leader he has lost sight of all the things the rank and file elected him for.

DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 07:54:27

One 'l" in Hilary please! Do not confuse him with Clinton.
And yes, spelling someone's name right, matters.

GandTea Tue 09-Aug-16 08:03:29

I have been a Labor voter most of my life, but withg the direction (or perhaps I should say lack of direction) the party are going in, I fear they will not get my vote for some while.

Badenkate Tue 09-Aug-16 08:09:19

Who would you like to see as Labour leader annie? This is my problem at the moment sad

DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 08:28:09

If none of the bright, rising "possibles" want to stand, though (the names I suggested earlier) what can members do?
And WHY are they not coming forward? Is it a case of waiting until the time is right, or assessing the mood in the party? In the event of a snap election they may have left it too late.

Anniebach Tue 09-Aug-16 08:51:01

No matter who stands against him they cannot win . Not just taking on Corbyn but Momentum.

McDonald has had a long time to plan this, he tried to stand in a leadership contest and couldn't get support, he then put Diane Abbot forward, she lost , next in line was Corbyn, if there had been no momentum he would have lost.

Labour is not plunging it's self into disarray, Corbyn is . Six momentum members are in the NEC. Ballot !

Benn couldn't win , no one can , the Tories will win the next election and Corbyn will be content to sit on the oposition benches as leader,

The next move is to deselect good labour MP's and replace then with Momentum members.

I would love to know who are the financial backers of momentum , suppose we will have to wait for his next shipment to the lords .

nightowl Tue 09-Aug-16 08:58:25

I suspect they are not coming forward because they know they can't win against Jeremy. Owen Smith is the sacrificial lamb to stir things up whilst they are biding their time to make another swoop against him when they feel the tide is more favourable to them.

I strongly agree Gracesgran about the lack of integrity of those others who are now going to such lengths to prevent people voting for Jeremy. They have twisted the party rules to try to get what they want and fraudulently withheld voting rights from new party members unless they are willing to pay extra for that right. I don't think any of those 'bright young rising stars' have come out of this well.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion