Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jonathan Lansman

(138 Posts)
obieone Mon 08-Aug-16 22:38:46

I dont actually know anything about him. But I think that a person who set up Momentum with apparent such success, needs to be talked about.

DaphneBroon Mon 08-Aug-16 23:10:47

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Lansman

Well why don't you find out about him first and then you can initiate an informed discussion?

I may not agree that he has to be talked about, but I would read up about him before starting a thread.

DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 07:55:53

Or indeed, commenting.

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 08:14:52

I cant do an informed discussion as I dont know anything about him, apart from what is on the internet!

But that does not mean that an informed or not discussion cannot be had by anyone else, and I can listen.

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 08:16:48

Listening is a rather vital skill, so I will listen and acquire knowledge.

Plus there are gransnetters on here who probably know more about him than what is merely on the internet.

DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 08:21:43

Granted, but it is always a good thing to acquire what knowledge you can, even it that is just from the Internet, but you said you knew nothing at all about him.
If you merely want information from other members, just ask.

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 08:29:49

I think the op is clear enough, but if it isnt, I just dont care! grin

petra Tue 09-Aug-16 08:41:48

obieone. You obviously picked up his name from something you were reading? Did that not lead you to read up on the man, his opinions, his beliefs and then tell us what you think and see if we agree or not.

DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 08:52:22

That's the sort of discussion I had in mind Petra

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 08:54:46

I picked up his name, I read some stuff about him, and now I have started a thread.

I do not have time to read a lot about people.

I work. I have a large family. I shall not be retired for about another 15 years.

I probably operate differently to other people.

Nobody has to respond to any thread, so if they do not want to, fine.
If they do want to, fine.
If no one knows anything extra to what is on the internet, fine.

Everything is fine! I am a very easy going person. grin

petra Tue 09-Aug-16 08:58:42

obieone. I'll keep it simple. What are your opinions of the man.

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 09:00:38

I sometimes operate outside of the box grin

I dont care!
If it bothers anyone, oh well.

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 09:03:49

petra. I dont know. He sounds intriguing. I find intriguing people interesting, and want to know more about them.

I am aware that people on here know quite a lot about the Labour Party, and have been surprised that nothing has been said about him, as far as I know.

I noted that he is probably very intelligent, and is obviously good at persuasion. He reminds me of a secretive group that I know a bit about.

So is he secretive for example? I dont think I have seen him on the media at all?

Jane10 Tue 09-Aug-16 09:03:58

confused

petra Tue 09-Aug-16 09:13:48

He smacks of a typical left winger: come the revolution the Rolls Royce is mine.

DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 09:15:57

There"outside the box" and there's "out of sight of the box!! "

What grounds do you have for suggesting he is "secretive" , obieone, are you suggesting the Freemasons by your allusion to a secretive group I know a bit about ? (BTW. Intriguing and interesting mean the same thing.)
And as for being short of time, with a big family and not retiring for 15 years, what on earth has that got to do with anything?
You seem to spend as much time and energy on GN as most people, and more than many.

DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 09:22:23

Raised as an Orthodox Jew, he is unlikely to be a Mason however!
Independent school (Highgate) , Clare College, he is clearly an intelligent chap. Strong Zionist sympathies I believe, although not a practising Jew, as he is apparently now an atheist.
Clever, rich, left wing (a former Tony Benn man) , it's all there on Wikipedia!

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 09:29:33

No I didnt mean the Freemasons.

I was hoping for some behind the scenes stuff, which I expect some gransnetters have and know about?

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 09:31:20

I dont think intriguing and interesting is the same at all.

DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 09:32:42

"During the Labour Party's early years of opposition following the defeat of James Callaghan's Labour government in 1979, Lansman worked as the "chief fixer" for Tony Benn.[4] He was a prominent member of the Campaign for Labour Party Democracy (CLPD) and worked with Benn on his campaign during the 1981 Labour Party deputy leadership election.[5] He was also the Secretary of the Rank and File Mobilising Committee (RFMC), which was the primary campaigning organisation for Benn.[6] In 1981, Lansman "did surprisingly badly"....."
Plenty more on Wikipedia if you can be bothered to look.
What do you mean by "behind the scenes stuff"?? His private life is none of our business.

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 09:36:34

Anniebach, Iam64 and several others work for the Labour Party, and know personally, or from a distance, a lot of the Labour Party big guns.

When someone is in politics, their private life is somewhat relevant. Boris gets stripped to shreds on here about his private life for example.

Anniebach Tue 09-Aug-16 09:49:21

True obieone, but we must make exceptions for a select few , Corbyn, McDonald and Co. They are too busy walking on water

nigglynellie Tue 09-Aug-16 09:51:47

Hang on, surely a civil question as posed by obieone in her original and subsequent posts deserves a civil answer. Surely seeking other peoples opinion over anything or anyone is a perfectly acceptable thing to do and not something to be treated with scorn and derision. DB, If you feel the post is ridiculous then why answer it? Nobody makes you! Your replies are just downright rude. Incidentally there is a world of difference between interest and intrigue!

obieone Tue 09-Aug-16 09:55:11

Thanks nigglynellie! smile

Anniebach Tue 09-Aug-16 09:55:25

Well said niggly, the attack on obieone was uncalled for , it's Corbyns new - kinder politics showing it's true colours