Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jonathan Lansman

(139 Posts)
obieone Mon 08-Aug-16 22:38:46

I dont actually know anything about him. But I think that a person who set up Momentum with apparent such success, needs to be talked about.

daphnedill Tue 16-Aug-16 21:39:33

Thanks for the mention of the JC link. I wondered if anybody had read it. I thought it was interesting.

I don't think there's anything particularly suspicious about wanting to remain a backroom boy. Not everybody craves public attention. I bet MI5 have a file on him and would have thought tabloid journalists would have dug up any dirt, if there is any.

JC link for those who missed it:

www.thejc.com/lifestyle/interviews/152867/ex-kibbutznik-who-corbyn%E2%80%99s-left-hand-man-0

TriciaF Tue 16-Aug-16 21:24:46

In daphnedill's link to the JC he says that he and his family had come in for some abuse when people heard that he was a Zionist, so perhaps that's why he tries to keep a low profile. To protect his family, after his wife died.
I'm one of those who is a long-term Labour supporter, but never heard of him, though I do get correspondence from Momentum.
Sounds as if he wishes to remain one of the backroom boys.
I don't think there's anything suspicious about it.

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 21:04:46

Not a lot then.
hmm

DaphneBroon Tue 16-Aug-16 20:25:14

daphnedill and I posted these on Sunday, they give a reasonable amount of information IMHO

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/05/momentum-leader-working-out-of-jeremy-corbyns-office/

www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/05/jon-lansman-interview-theres-no-leader-who-would-find-it-easier-win-jeremy

Eloethan Tue 16-Aug-16 18:57:15

What sort of facts are you looking for Jalima?

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 18:45:46

shadowy - mysterious

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 18:44:04

It would be interesting to know what you have found out about him Eloethan, as there only seem to be the most superficial of facts on the internet.

Eloethan Tue 16-Aug-16 18:40:57

Anniebach Are you comfortable about a person who has formed an organisation to oppose a leader overwhelmingly elected by members of the party concealing his identity? Jon Lansman was open about his role as founder of Momentum, unlike Reg Race of the anti-Corbyn Saving Labour group. So, even if you know nothing about Jon Lansman (and I did not until I looked on the internet), at least you know who he is and can find out about him quite easily, without investigations having had to be carried out to find out who he is.

Jalima Why is Lansman "shadowy"?

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 17:46:56

I mean on another thread Eloethan smile

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 17:45:30

Nobody even knew who the founder and funder of the anti-Corbyn group Saving Labour was because his identity was kept under wraps.
Perhaps that is something which needs to be talked about too.

Probably that would be a good idea as many people may like to know more (especially those of us who know nothing about it!).

I would agree that Lansman would appear to be very shadowy; most people would be happy for their CV to appear on a website they not only contribute to, but started unless they have things they wish to hide.

obieone Tue 16-Aug-16 17:20:39

post 17.09pm I mean to write anniebach not Eloethan

obieone Tue 16-Aug-16 17:14:03

Eloethan, I personally like things to be open. Everything. So there is no reason whatsoever why a thread or threads cannot be started about them too if you want to.

Would another thread be a better idea though, as this one is about Jon Landsman.
But whatever.

obieone Tue 16-Aug-16 17:09:12

Nor am I Eloethan.
And what has surprised me more, is that gransnetters, including your self and others who have been involved with the party for decades, dont "know" him either.

Anniebach Tue 16-Aug-16 17:07:33

Obieone, I am not comfortable with people involved with the election of a party leader being secretive,

Eloethan Tue 16-Aug-16 17:03:11

I think it is entirely appropriate to discuss Saving Labour on this thread because, as you say, Saving Labour (and Progress) are Labour groups opposing Corbyn, whereas Momentum is supporting him.

If insinuations are going to be made about Momentum, its founder and supporters, it seems to me to be quite fair that the secrecy, or otherwise, and conduct of other groups be examined also.

I'm sure Gransnetters are able to understand that, without becoming confused.

If my comment on this point is considered to be "derailing" the thread then I will be able to find many examples where similar "derailments" have occurred without any intervention being thought necessary.

obieone Tue 16-Aug-16 17:01:25

Oh heck. In no way do I mean anyone or anything to do with gransnet at all.
I apologise that I didnt make that at all clear.

It is a lot more complicated and big than that.

obieone Tue 16-Aug-16 16:58:09

I would also like to add, as I mentioned in a post near the beginning, that if there are people or groups acting secretively, as there is in my life at the moment,they require scrutiny.
Often, more and more is uncovered.

obieone Tue 16-Aug-16 16:54:57

I still say [and the later part of your post rather confirms it, not to mention internet links] that he acts very secretively.

obieone Tue 16-Aug-16 16:52:53

To say "sounds like he [Lansman] is deliberately secretive. I wonder if people are frightened of him" is obviously just stirring it

Not to me it definitely isnt.
It is my opinion, and I cannot see for the life of me, why anyone cant say that and think that, let alone write it.

That comment was then followed up with one saying it was strange that nobody knows anything about Lansman - further insinuating that there is something sinister about him

Ditto above
It isnt against rules on here, or the law, or anything else is it?

Maybe there is - I don't know - but to make suggestions of that nature makes me wonder whether this is just a roundabout way of trying to discredit the organisation.

I cant try and discredit something or someone I know nothing about apart from what is on the internet, I wouldnt have thought.

And are you saying that nothing and noone on gransnet can be discredited? That puts all of politics out of bounds just for starters. On gransnet and life.

So no one can say they dont like the service of any shops for example? Or the NHS?

Anniebach Tue 16-Aug-16 15:20:28

Start a thread on it Eleothan, to have two,opposing groups discussed on one thread could be confusing

DaphneBroon Tue 16-Aug-16 15:08:30

You may have a point.
More prosaically, I believe I suggested people just weren't very interested.
Yes a story can be manufactured out of nothing , look at those silly questions in the tabloids
"Did Philip /MI5 order Diana's killing?" ?"
"Is Harry gay"
Or alternatively
"Is Harry enjoying Kate's company too much?"
The answer is invariably a resounding NO but there will always be someone, somewhere who sees an establishment cover-up or a conspiracy .
At what point does insinuation cross the line?

Eloethan Tue 16-Aug-16 15:01:24

To say "sounds like he [Lansman] is deliberately secretive. I wonder if people are frightened of him" is obviously just stirring it. That comment was then followed up with one saying it was strange that nobody knows anything about Lansman - further insinuating that there is something sinister about him. Maybe there is - I don't know - but to make suggestions of that nature makes me wonder whether this is just a roundabout way of trying to discredit the organisation.

Nobody even knew who the founder and funder of the anti-Corbyn group Saving Labour was because his identity was kept under wraps. It was only when investigations were made at Companies House that he was discovered to be a formerly left wing Labour MP, now managing director of a "healthcare management consultancy" (although he says he's retired now). Perhaps that is something which needs to be talked about too.

Anya Tue 16-Aug-16 14:14:51

Wow! Impressive memory Petra wink

petra Tue 16-Aug-16 14:02:59

To use one of your own quotes from a previous life on GN,obieone "Actually, if we all stopped talking on here, the thread will end"

Riverwalk Tue 16-Aug-16 13:19:43

I'm confused at Laura's rebuke that derailing the thread isn't very helpful to the OP.

Why do posters need to be helpful - the OP didn't ask for help or advice. It's a political thread.