Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hillary Clinton

(102 Posts)
Kempsy3 Mon 12-Sep-16 12:32:51

Do you think Hillary will be well enough to continue her campaign for the Presidency? and if not how much of a setback will that be for the democrats?

Lewlew Tue 13-Sep-16 10:09:42

I've had walking pneumonia, and was able to go back to work as it ran its course (that's what you do in the US, you don't get masses of sick leave).

Daphne... that is hilarious! smile

Also, there are news bites now that it was a body-double who appeared outside Chelsea's apartment building in NYC. Yeah...right.

annodomini Tue 13-Sep-16 10:36:29

When I was 6, pneumonia entailed three weeks in hospital and at one point it was thought I might not survive.Penicillin wasn't available for civilian use. Almost 70 years later, I've had my jab and if that isn't effective I can be filled full of antibiotics and carry on living.

Good luck and good health to Mrs Clinton. The world needs her.

Theoddbird Tue 13-Sep-16 10:50:00

If she had been a man there would not be this uproar...not only about her health but her age has been mentioned. She is 69. Ronald Reagan was 71 when he became president. I can't remember his age or health being mentioned on his campaign...

Balini Tue 13-Sep-16 10:57:25

Riverwalk, I also have a good American friend, who says Hilary is too easily bribed!!!

Rhinestone Tue 13-Sep-16 11:54:02

Hi All-May a Yankee pop in here? From my standpoint I voted for Bernie. I don't like the fact that the corporations are in Hillary's back pocket but she is the better candidate than Trump I believe. She has experience. Did you know that Trump used to be a democrat and he gave money to Hilkary's last campaign?
By the way no one said anything about President Kenbefy who had a whole host of maladies. He had Addison's disease, colitis and prostatitis along with back problems. All our presidents have been males and no one questioned their sicknesses. They tried to hide Roosevelts problems with his legs but people loved him even more. I shutter to think what would be said of Hillary if she hadn't gone through menopause. They would be questioning her competency every month. Thank goodness for antibiotics.

Rhinestone Tue 13-Sep-16 11:55:19

Sorry I was talking about President John Kennedy

Tessa101 Tue 13-Sep-16 13:12:54

Can I ask please how do you tell what section the posts are in?? As I read that it's been moved to the relevant section but I wasn't aware there were different sections??

kittylester Tue 13-Sep-16 13:18:31

My brother died of pneumonia 60 years ago but dh had it about 20 years ago. It is nothing like such a big deal now. I think the problem is the secrecy.

Ana Tue 13-Sep-16 13:25:06

It says right at the top, Tessa, just above Page 1 - News and Politics. If you click on 'Forums' you'll see a list of all the subjects/sections.

Solitaire Tue 13-Sep-16 16:30:40

I had pneumonia 50 years ago with an awful cough and chest pain but went to work each day. I assume some forms of the illness are no big deal.

Blinko Tue 13-Sep-16 16:36:31

We're doomed, we're all doomed..... (name that radio show, was it Round the Horn?)

kittylester Tue 13-Sep-16 16:39:32

Think it might have been Dad's Army.

shirleyhick Tue 13-Sep-16 16:40:43

Hope not.

libertylola Tue 13-Sep-16 18:02:03

Personally I find Donald Trumps megalomania far more worrying that Hillary Clintons physical healthsmile she will recover but I can't say the same for him.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Sep-16 18:04:00

That's interesting rhinestone. President Kenndy seemed so hale and hearty!

I hope they don't make too much of this pneumonia.

willa45 Tue 13-Sep-16 18:47:37

Pneumonia took me by surprise a few years ago. (I had been feeling poorly for days) and then I got really sick. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital where I was treated with IV fluids, antibiotics and fever reducers. I was sent home later the same day with orders to get plenty of rest and lots of fluids. Luckily I recovered uneventfully after a week or so. With a diagnosis of pneumonia and given her hectic schedule, Hillary deserves a lot of credit. I nearly passed out just sitting around the house while Hillary stood in the sun for more than an hour. So, kudos to Hillary for her remarkable endurance.... She will likely have a speedy recovery!

Peaseblossom Tue 13-Sep-16 19:12:17

This is a comment by an American on an article I read. I've copied it as it was written:
Saw this in the comment section of another fb post and I'll just leave it here:

Of the two candidates running for president…

Only Hillary Clinton was caught lying to congress.
Only Hillary Clinton was fired from a job for being unethical.
Only Hillary Clinton deleted 30 some thousand emails after she was ordered to hand them over to the Fed.
Only Hillary Clinton had that same computer wiped clean by professionals.
Only Hillary Clinton got the rapist of a teenage girl off on rape charges then laughed about it.
Only Hillary Clinton lied to the American people about Benghazi.
Only Hillary Clinton lied to the American people about her emails.
Only Hillary Clinton lied about being under sniper fire.
Only Hillary Clinton lied about lying to the American people.
Only Hillary Clinton was involved in "Cash Cow "
Only Hillary Clinton has a long list of scandals.
Only Hillary Clinton nationally belittled her husband's sexual harassment (and rape) accusers.
Only Hillary Clinton is a career politician.
Only Hillary Clinton will not release her speeches to Goldman Sachs and other banks.
Only Hillary Clinton is tied to Monsanto.
Only Hillary Clinton was labeled "Extremely careless " about national security by the FBI!
Only Hillary Clinton said she will raise taxes on the middle class.
Only Hillary Clinton benefited from the DNC rigging an election!
Only Hillary Clinton had to return stolen items from the White House.
Only Hillary Clinton said the Benghazi victims parents where lying.
Only Hillary Clinton wants you to vote for her based on her gender.
Only Hillary Clinton has no real accomplishments after a lifetime in politics.
Only Hillary Clinton has never created any jobs.
Only Hillary Clinton has been investigated by the FBI and found to have put national security at risk.
Only Hillary Clinton has had two or more movies and several documentaries made about her questionable ethics.
Only Hillary Clinton was called "Broomstick one" by the SS.
Only Hillary Clinton made congress and others spend millions and millions of tax dollars having hearings and investigating her to find that she lied, that would not have been spent if she would of simply told the truth in the first place! Fact - all facts!
Only Hillary Clinton regularly cussed out and belittled her SS detail.
Only Hillary Clinton, Only Hillary Clinton, Only Hillary Clinton over and over again.
But you are going to vote for her because.... you don't like Donald Trump? That is insane! I will never understand how any moral person in good conscience could EVER vote for this woman.

Lewlew Tue 13-Sep-16 19:18:57

Theoddbird Although Reagan's dementia took over his health news, his biggest hurdle was he got a face-lift AND he was divorced!

Rhinestone Kennedy's Addison's was also cited as the reason he was a sexually over-active idiot. I am an expat American and cannot believe how taken all the US was with his glamorous family (I was a teen when he was assassinated). The press today is criticised for being so intrusive into a candidate's life that now no one but the most persistent obnoxious people will run for US office, but on the other hand, you can't hide anything anymore. Two extremes at work. Ed Muskie should never have been persecuted by the press as he was in 1972. And if Bernie had been 15 years younger, he could have walked this!

obieone Tue 13-Sep-16 19:32:09

I expect she will.
I know someone her age who has had it several times, been hospitalised and recovered fine.

Not sure that she will win now if she decides to stay on. She may step down in favour of Bernie??

Blinko Wed 14-Sep-16 10:36:09

KittyLester, you're right, it was Dad's Army.

Blinko Wed 14-Sep-16 10:39:25

Peaseblossom, maybe if Trump had ever been in office there would be as much stuff said about him? Just a thought....

TerriBull Wed 14-Sep-16 10:58:09

It has been suggested that Hilary Clinton has a body double, allegedly the woman who came out of Chelsea's flat after "the incident" 90 minutes later was a doppleganger. I can't see that myself, she looked and sounded just like her. Definitely Hilary Clinton I'd say.

annodomini Wed 14-Sep-16 11:37:14

The Trump lot will say and do anything to discredit Hillary. angry

obieone Wed 14-Sep-16 18:47:44

The pictures looked a bit different to me.
If it was a lookalike, it is a very good one.

LullyDully Wed 14-Sep-16 19:38:17

I don't mean to be ageist but 68 is old for taking on such a gruelling job. I don't envy her in the least.