Gransnet forums

News & politics

International Peace Day

(188 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 20-Sep-16 20:55:18

Some of you may remember that on this day each year I wear my white 'peace poppy'. Does anyone else mark the day?
www.un.org/en/events/peaceday/index.shtml

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Sep-16 15:00:44

For me my red poppy commemorates those who died fighting Nazism. And the poor lads dragged from their mothers/families/towns/villages to fight who knew what, in the lot before that.

whitewave Wed 21-Sep-16 15:44:43

Just watched John Kerry's excellent speech in the Security Council.

Now watch how nothing happens. Bloody useless the lot of them.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Sep-16 15:48:33

Yep. And America has a president with no balls.

trisher Wed 21-Sep-16 15:51:02

My white poppy commemorates them jingle and the hundreds of civilians killed in my home town during the bombing raids which my mum and my MIL were almost part of. There are more civilians killed in wars now than ever before. The number has climbed from 5% to 90%. They surely deserve some commemoration

whitewave Wed 21-Sep-16 15:51:27

Apparently Clinton is supposed to be more Hawkish, whatever that means. Bit hamstrung with Russia in the mix I would have thought.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Sep-16 15:52:55

Russia isn't the power it used to be.

But what do I know?

whitewave Wed 21-Sep-16 15:58:29

Yes but they must still be a bit scary.

nigglynellie Wed 21-Sep-16 16:05:41

I think you'll find it could be! It's certainly just as cruel, ruthless, and frightening. It would appear that the convey was bombed, by Russia in retaliation!shock I wear a red poppy for personal reasons as well as to commemorate those two dreadful wars and subsequent conflicts.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Sep-16 16:07:27

They'd be scared of the US! Probably.

Obama bowed to pressure from the home front. Conveniently forgetting that it was the US (and Britain) that started it all off.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Sep-16 16:08:23

I heard it a Russian planned manned by Syrians. Perhaps things have moved on from this morning though.

whitewave Wed 21-Sep-16 16:11:15

Saw Johnson sitting next to Kerry. Nowhere on this earth could I imagine him giving that sort of speech just delivered by Kerry.

What is so frightening is as Kerry says "people say it can't get any worse in Syria, well they are 100% wrong. It can get very much worse"

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Sep-16 16:23:06

I'm sure I heard on the radio that parts of Aleppo are still untouched. Can that be right? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Sep-16 16:24:27

Must be such a nightmare to have bombing planes roaring overhead. Terrifying.

Lostmyglassesxx Wed 21-Sep-16 17:04:37

I have never been so distressed about war as now - because it's played out in front of our eyes with all the complications of refugees and countries with their own ,agendas.
To see starving dying children in Yemen and injured children In Syria and refugee children with fear In their eyes - and Then There are all those westerners who lack compassion particularly on Daily Mail website and think every Muslim is a potential terrorist young or old male or female.who think people fled their countries crossed oceans for the sheer hell of it - yes there are economic migrants but they all flee countries with corrupt regimes wher they have little chance of a good life-
World Peace day - ? there will always be war and but it is so multi layered and complicated now
The UN can't sort it
The aid convoys are bombed intentionally by someone The medical facilities targeted
The people left are starving in the ruins of Syria whilst Assad
The countries involved won't sort it.its not in their interest to end the war.
The major powers are not to be trusted
You can wish for peace - there's nothing wrong with that because we are very fortunate but we are powerless and it won't happen - and wars wil continue to rage till the world stops turning .
Of course we want peace -to give children back their future -War takes everything from everybody in the end .

nigglynellie Wed 21-Sep-16 17:30:17

I don't think Russia is remotely afraid of the US! They're completely ruthless, devious and with very different ideas and attitudes to the West. The destruction of Syria is reminiscent of Europe at the end of WW11. The starving displaced children/people, devastated cities and countryside. Easter European countries were more afraid of the Russians, their liberators, than they were of the Germans. As for the Germans, what happened to them courtesy of the Russians, is too horrible to talk about, thus their desperation to surrender or escape to an American/British/French Zone. Make no mistake the Russians are ruthless and to be greatly feared. I am old enough to just remember it.

Tegan Wed 21-Sep-16 17:31:06

'I suppose some relatives of war dead might feel comforted knowing that some people are thinking about their losses 'out loud' (wearing the badge, talking about it, etc), so to speak.'
...yes, I think they might....

Rosieroe Wed 21-Sep-16 17:32:32

Amen to that Lost

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Sep-16 17:40:21

Where does the proceeds from the sale of the white poppies go? I know, of course, the British Legion uses the proceeds from the red poppies to take care of war wounded, and families left behind.

nigglynellie Wed 21-Sep-16 17:50:40

Russia perceives the West as weak and vacillating, this is why they do as they please, when they please knowing that there is nothing any of us can do, and that we will almost certainly never confront them except verbally! As if they care about that!!

nigglynellie Wed 21-Sep-16 17:52:57

That I'm afraid is the reality.

whitewave Wed 21-Sep-16 18:00:57

The reality is that if the UN does not succeed then the refugee crises will grow and grow. What to do? What a nightmare.

Lostmyglassesxx Wed 21-Sep-16 18:09:28

Yes - and untouched in parts of Damascus where people still go about their business and Assad rules supreme

nigglynellie Wed 21-Sep-16 18:15:25

We shall see, but Russia has a firm, and to them, vital footholds in Syria which they're not going to give up unless they're physically made to, and how do we do that?!!

whitewave Wed 21-Sep-16 19:12:56

Do ISIS and al Qaeda cooperate?

Al Qaeda are Sunnis I think. Not sure about Isis

Vonnie34 Wed 21-Sep-16 19:24:22

I don't wear a white poppy, but I don't object to anyone else wearing one.
Unfortunately white poppies, prayers or anything else will not bring world peace.?