Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May Mark 2

(422 Posts)
whitewave Sun 02-Oct-16 07:58:30

The 1972 Act that enshrined the EU law into UK law is to be repealed. The existing EU laws will remain and get repealed as necessary in future.

That will of course very much depend I assume on the negotiated settlement with the EU.
No other EU law will now enter UK law.

durhamjen Fri 21-Oct-16 15:23:57

You do not need to, Jalima. Shelter has done it for you. Are you saying that you can only comment on things of which you have direct experience?

www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/14801/100-days-of-theresa-may-a-break-with-the-past-but-an-unclear-future/

A critique of Theresa May's first hundred days, what she said she'd do, and what she's done. She chairs a lot of committees. Does that mean she doesn't trust her government ministers yet?

Jalima Fri 21-Oct-16 15:34:12

are you bored djen?

I am, through enforced inaction, otherwise I would be off doing something more enjoyable than reading aggressive posts on here.

durhamjen Fri 21-Oct-16 15:47:56

You could always read a book.
Or read the Shelter report. Have you read it? You haven't said so.
I can't get out either because I can't drive yet, although today I am waiting in for a delivery, sometime before 9p.m.
They'll phone me when they are nearly here. So I have to wait near the phone. But I'm not bored as I have so many emails to read, occasionally going on this forum to post comments that I think are relevant. Thanks for asking, though.

Jalima Fri 21-Oct-16 15:49:03

Of course, if posts were answered in a reasonable way and questions posed politely instead of rudely and in a confrontational manner, more people might be interested in following a link and thus would be able to expand their apparently limited horizons by reading all about it instead of commenting on real life.

Jalima Fri 21-Oct-16 15:50:31

You could always read a book
I could, but the one I'm reading at the moment is upstairs.

Eloethan Fri 21-Oct-16 16:33:47

Someone suggested that money alone does not guarantee an Eton education because would-be pupils have to demonstrate their superior intelligence/abilities by passing an entrance exam.

My understanding is that preparatory schools are open to any parent that can pay for them and it is the facilities provided by those schools - smaller classes which are very much focused on preparing children for entrance exams - that ensure a much greater chance of a child getting into a top independent school. Thus, from the youngest age, money is every bit as influential as inate ability in determining children's academic and career prospects.

durhamjen Fri 21-Oct-16 16:39:35

Have you read the Shelter report, Jalima?

thatbags Fri 21-Oct-16 16:40:14

So is the educational level and attitude to learning of parents. Not all fee-paying schools are all that good. It's not all about money.

durhamjen Fri 21-Oct-16 16:40:36

Someone else going to be homeless.

politicalscrapbook.net/2016/10/ukip-dont-have-enough-money-to-pay-their-rent/

They'll have to move to Essex or Kent.

MaizieD Fri 21-Oct-16 16:58:29

I am now a bit confused about roses post of 22.15 on Monday. What other parts of the country are there that aren't in the UK?

Shelter is saying that a percentage of housing is bad, not all of it. Knowing that some social housing is well maintained doesn't invalidate their findings.

MaizieD Fri 21-Oct-16 17:04:06

money is every bit as influential as inate ability in determining children's academic and career prospects.

It's interesting though, Eloethan, that state educated children with the same university entrance qualifications as privately educated children tend, on the whole, to get better degrees. So money hasn't bought academic success; though it undeniably buys access to the invaluable 'Old Boys/Girls Network' for career advancement.

Ana Fri 21-Oct-16 17:12:57

It's durhamjen's post of 15.42 on Monday that you should be questioning, MaizieD. No wonder roses was confused...

Eloethan Fri 21-Oct-16 17:27:01

Yes, I've seen that too Maizie.

It suggests to me that either they are harder working, better motivated or inately more able than their privately educated peers, or perhaps a combination of all three factors explains their superior performance.

rosesarered Fri 21-Oct-16 17:38:27

Going to a good prep school will help a lot, smaller classes and very motivated ethos,
BUT not many will get to Eton even so.They are able to pick and choose the very best.

Maizie yes, it was a confusing post, but it was djens own words from her post of Monday 15:42:15. All clear now? grin

Eloethan Fri 21-Oct-16 17:40:43

From what I have seen, most of the nice council houses in attractive areas have been purchased. What remains seems to be houses on sprawling, unattractive estates which have a bad reputation or badly designed and poorly maintained blocks of flats.

durhamjen Mon 24-Oct-16 09:47:40

What do you think Theresa May will do about this?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shocking-rise-brits-being-admitted-9106672

The government's response was the mantra the best way out of poverty is work. Obviously still not accepting the idea of inwork poverty.

Firecracker123 Mon 24-Oct-16 09:57:42

Bias article from a Labour supporting newspaper. My experience is most people are over nourished, fat in other words.

MaizieD Mon 24-Oct-16 10:05:28

Of course, 'experience' trumps statistics every time angry

durhamjen Mon 24-Oct-16 10:16:47

Nice to know you care, Firecracker, about those in poverty.
Most of the figures are from the NHS. Have they doctored them?

durhamjen Mon 24-Oct-16 10:29:54

By the way, over a million of malnourished people are over 65, according to AgeUK, obviously another left-wing biased group.

Fortunately they are not all dying at home or in hospital because their benefits have been cut.

Obviously, Firecracker, you think the best thing for Theresa May to do is ignore the statistics until more people die of starvation.

Firecracker123 Mon 24-Oct-16 11:06:29

Rubbish, I am surprised you even read the Daily Mirror.

Jalima Mon 24-Oct-16 11:09:03

People can be obese but malnourished.

Firecracker123 Mon 24-Oct-16 11:09:03

MaizieD, commonsense trumps statistics everytime.

Firecracker123 Mon 24-Oct-16 11:12:58

Even if they are malnourished they are not going to die of starvation. Most can't be bothered to cook and spend their money on takeaways. I see it all the time.

Jalima Mon 24-Oct-16 11:30:59

There are many reasons for malnourishment, not all poverty-related.
There are many elderly people who don't eat enough or can't be bothered to eat even if a meal is delivered if they are on their own. It could also be an indication of early on-set dementia or some other mental health problem.

And, as I said, even people who are obese are not getting all the nutrients they need because they do not know what constitutes a healthy diet.