Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May Mark 2

(421 Posts)
whitewave Sun 02-Oct-16 07:58:30

The 1972 Act that enshrined the EU law into UK law is to be repealed. The existing EU laws will remain and get repealed as necessary in future.

That will of course very much depend I assume on the negotiated settlement with the EU.
No other EU law will now enter UK law.

thatbags Sun 02-Oct-16 09:44:44

Article about that here.

whitewave Sun 02-Oct-16 09:54:02

Every law enshrined in U.K. Law will if necessary be subject to repeal. What I am pleased about is that each repeal will have to go through parliament, which may put a stop to cavalier governments.

See Mays visit to Murdoch is beginning to pay off. Exclusive interview, soft report etc.

Anniebach Sun 02-Oct-16 10:05:57

No matter what goes through parliament if the government of the day has a large majority they can do as they wish

nigglynellie Sun 02-Oct-16 14:19:13

Changing the subject. Sorry to hear about your arthritis ab, my mother suffered from it and I know that it's both painful and debilitating. Have you tried cider vinegar and honey? I'm sure you have but just in case, apparently it is very good for the relief of this condition. Method of administering is all on Google, might be worth a try. smile

Anniebach Sun 02-Oct-16 14:26:01

Thank you Niggly

nigglynellie Sun 02-Oct-16 14:27:11

You're very welcome.

Devorgilla Sun 02-Oct-16 20:48:38

Well, there we have it. She is to implement Article 50 before the end of March. Brexit means Brexit. No idea what that will actually mean but no use crying over spilt milk. The proof of the pudding etc will be in the trade deals. That will please 52% of the population and alienate 48% of the population until the small print needs to be read. No imminent General Election then until it is all signed, sealed and delivered. 'Big Daddy' will be pleased.

thatbags Sun 02-Oct-16 21:03:11

Seems to me the 48% are alienated already, just like the 52% were before the referendum. You can't please all of the people all of the time, as somebody once said.

Things aren't as bad as were predicted (are they ever?), not by a long shot. Maybe that will continue.

Ana Sun 02-Oct-16 21:07:11

Who's 'Big Daddy'?

Welshwife Sun 02-Oct-16 22:07:59

How do we know what the 28% who did not vote whatever the reason feel about it all?

Luckygirl Sun 02-Oct-16 22:20:09

I think this is a bit speedy - there is so much preparatory work to be completed.

petra Sun 02-Oct-16 22:28:23

who cares about the 28% ? They weren't concerned enough to vote, so what concerns they might have are irrelevant.

Anniebach Sun 02-Oct-16 22:34:22

Farron wants another vote when it becomes clear what was voted for

Corbyn said it must be accepted and not challenged

Caroline Lucas wants the same as as Farron

SNP are certaintly going into battle

Ana Sun 02-Oct-16 22:43:14

Another referendum? That'll be fun...hmm

Devorgilla Sun 02-Oct-16 22:59:49

Ana, I gather 'Big Daddy', according to an article in the Observer, is a term used for JC by his supporters. My initial reaction was 'pass the sick bucket'.

Ana Sun 02-Oct-16 23:01:42

I quite agree! grin

Anniebach Sun 02-Oct-16 23:23:21

The Original Big Daddy was horrid

It all sounds sick, they even wrote a book of poems about him

There will not be a spring election, the council elections next spring

David Steel is another who told his party to go back! to their constituencies and prepare for power !

Anniebach Sun 02-Oct-16 23:25:57

Sorry have the giggles, am thinking of Corbyn and Burl Ives

durhamjen Sun 02-Oct-16 23:42:05

Hope she repeals the poor laws that her government have put in place.

durhamjen Sun 02-Oct-16 23:54:25

Theresa May said today that it would be up to the government to trigger article 50, not the Lords or Commons, but that's not so according to the House of Lords Constitution Committee.
They say it's Parliament, not the government.
Going to be interesting.

durhamjen Mon 03-Oct-16 00:03:45

What's the government majority now, anyway?
Two by elections on the way. Wouldn't it be funny if Cameron's seat was taken by a Libdem. Or even the Labour candidate, who came second last time.

Eloethan Mon 03-Oct-16 00:11:30

whitewave I agree with your comment re May's visit to Murdoch - how sickening it is that prime ministers (including Blair) have consulted with this horrible man in order to keep him and his vast media empire on side.

It makes you wonder whether there is any point voting at all when, ultimately, it is people like him that seem to determine the general direction in which a party should head if his media outlets are to support it.

durhamjen Mon 03-Oct-16 00:27:40

I was just thinking that those MPs are really going to have to earn their salaries from now on, going through 43 years of EU legislation.

The impression was given that all the work was going to be done elsewhere, but with the Great Repeal Act, it will be done in parliament. No shirking.

whitewave Mon 03-Oct-16 06:16:50

You think dj? They haven't any more idea than thee and me! No it will the lawyers rubbing their hands.
All parliament will get to do is to debate it - rather like on heregrin