Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does power make people fat?

(48 Posts)
thatbags Thu 13-Oct-16 07:57:13

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Jeremy Corbyn seems to be putting on weight recently? His belly is getting noticeable. It wasn't when he first became Labour leader.

Alima Thu 13-Oct-16 08:11:48

Hadn't noticed him, try to avoid looking at him. David Cameron seemed to put a bit of weight on. The makers of the swim shorts he was recently pictured in have been hit by a dip in sales. Not cool anymore!

gillybob Thu 13-Oct-16 08:16:08

I don't think it's the power in itself that makes people like Corbyn, Cameron etc. fat. I think it's that fact that they probably eat and drink rich food all at the tax layers expense and their natural gluttony gets the better of them.

I remember many years at when my great uncle became a local councillor , my grandad hadn't seen him for a while and commented on his expanding stomach in his usual diplomatic way saying "well Billy, it's well saying your'e enjoying the free food and booze at the town hall then"

whitewave Thu 13-Oct-16 08:23:34

I must be very powerful

TerriBull Thu 13-Oct-16 09:09:02

Too much dining and fine wine. Although allegedly, according to an ex wife, Jezza didn't do anything so utterly bourgeois as dining out, he preferred to eat cold beans straight from the tin, yum! Maybe he's eating far more beans than ever. The clue to that could be if his colleagues are sitting slightly further away,it could also be the underlying reason why Diane Abbott and Emily Thornberrry seem to wear permanently pained expressions when sitting alongside their leader on the front benches?

Jane10 Thu 13-Oct-16 09:12:30

grin TerriBull! That explains a lot.

AlieOxon Thu 13-Oct-16 09:18:19

Alpha male chimps get all the best food and get a lot bigger too...

Wobblybits Thu 13-Oct-16 09:26:07

Bernie Ecclestone (F1) must be short of some of those posh meals, or does he "work out" in other ways ?

Teetime Thu 13-Oct-16 09:46:23

JC used to bike everywhere now he probably has a chauffeured driven armour plated car.

gillybob Thu 13-Oct-16 09:51:36

Just what I said earlier TerriBull. It's probably quite easy to get fat on good food and drink when you're not paying for it.

Mind you I love to eat cold beans straight from the tin, much to DH's disgust. smile

Bernie E is one of those creepytiny little men with a huge Amazonian wife. No wonder he never puts weight on Wobblybits his bedroom antics must be quite athletic.

Alima Thu 13-Oct-16 09:58:18

Wobblybits, that is not a pleasant thought.

AlieOxon Thu 13-Oct-16 10:34:35

No, it's not.

Does being big add to their presence in people's eyes too?

Swanny Thu 13-Oct-16 10:51:18

Eating lots of beans helps produce all that hot air politicians put out grin

I agree with Teetime though that being transported everywhere by (armour-plated) car instead of cycling will have made a difference. I've also noticed Corbyn often wears a tie these days - is that a slimming gimmick to reduce the apparent size of his growing belly?

Wobblybits Thu 13-Oct-16 10:56:01

Bernie seems to wear beautiful women like other men wear jewellery, one hanging off each arm, but I'm not envious (like hell I am grin, if not for the women, for his stamina)

gillybob Thu 13-Oct-16 12:03:24

My poor DH has neither the beautiful woman nor the jewellery Wobblybits might explain why he's built like a bean pole.

Mind you he doesn't haven Bernie's powers of attraction either. £££££££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$£££££££££££££££££££

POGS Thu 13-Oct-16 12:41:54

Actually I have noticed that but I think in Corbyn's case he looks better with a little more weight on him.

It must be flipping difficult to watch what you eat when you have to attend functions that shove grub under your nose and you are driven around all over the place to boot.

A bit like you and I going on a cruise or a month long All Inclusive holiday. Lord does that pile on the pounds (well it does if you enjoy yourself).

vampirequeen Thu 13-Oct-16 12:52:54

I didn't realise I was so powerful.

Wobblybits Thu 13-Oct-16 13:30:38

Gillbob, "doesn't have beautiful women" ???? he has you, and as to how he manages to keep slim, I can't imagine grin

gillybob Thu 13-Oct-16 13:51:14

Bless him he really should've gone to Specsavers !

dramatictessa Thu 13-Oct-16 22:33:26

Obama isn't fat. Neither is Putin.

rosesarered Thu 13-Oct-16 22:36:59

I hadn't noticed that JC had put on weight, but had noticed an absence of the Lenin hat he used to wear.

Ana Thu 13-Oct-16 22:38:36

And of course his vest is no longer on display...

rosesarered Thu 13-Oct-16 22:46:42

I knew there was something else missing...grin

absent Fri 14-Oct-16 02:12:39

gillybob Your great uncle clearly was a living example of that old-fashioned expression, "He had a bit of a corporation".

Shortlegs Fri 14-Oct-16 10:45:48

Eating too much makes people fat.