Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does power make people fat?

(49 Posts)
thatbags Thu 13-Oct-16 07:57:13

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Jeremy Corbyn seems to be putting on weight recently? His belly is getting noticeable. It wasn't when he first became Labour leader.

radicalnan Fri 14-Oct-16 11:26:10

I am a ringer for the Willendorff Goddess and my GP considers that a problem. Stress causes weight gain in some people.

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 11:28:20

Corbyn has put a bit of weight on - what does that mean?

Caesar:
Let me have men about me that are fat,
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous.

Perhaps he is less dangerous than he used to be grin (moot point)

narrowboatnan Fri 14-Oct-16 12:02:02

If this theory is right, does this mean that our Prime Minister will start to fill out, have to buy her clothes in Evans and no longer look like a string bean? Goodness!

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 12:28:23

She was diagnosed with diabetes not that long ago, which is why she has lost weight quite quickly.

PamelaJ1 Fri 14-Oct-16 13:20:41

Stress doesn't cause weight gain, stress may cause some people to eat more. Too much food causes weight gain

Sheilasue Fri 14-Oct-16 14:16:05

Hadn't noticed if JC was overweight not interested really.

Teddy123 Fri 14-Oct-16 16:11:22

Aw little Bernie Ecclestone ....... Rumour has it that he does have an amazingly big 'W'

Yep WALLET

As for JC not interested except to say how humorous I found it when he kept 'ducking' under the roses round his front door. I kept yelling at the TV "get your secateurs & cut them back". They must have been low 'cos he's vertically challenged!

M0nica Fri 14-Oct-16 16:25:55

Jezza is probably eating too many take-aways and drinking too much beer with union leaders and Momentum members.

Falconbird Fri 14-Oct-16 16:38:25

absent - my dad used to describe his expanding waistline as his corporation. smile

I think that when people become successful they eat more and maybe eat better quality food and drink a lot of wine etc.,

Legs55 Fri 14-Oct-16 17:24:42

absent my GD always used to say "here comes the Mayor & Corporation" - meaning they were well padded !!!!

Legs55 Fri 14-Oct-16 17:32:10

Jalima Diabetes does not cause weight loss but any-one diagnosed is advised to keep their weight down, change in diet & eating habits does have the knock on effect of weight loss (not in may case sadly) hmm

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 17:36:26

Oh, I thought TM said it had in her case
It certainly did for my MIL before she was diagnosed.

Theresa May was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2012 after she sought medical attention for sudden weight loss - a classic symptom of the condition along with increased thirst, tiredness and urination.

Venus Fri 14-Oct-16 22:42:51

Comfort eating?

durhamjen Fri 14-Oct-16 23:22:02

Is 5'10" vertically challenged?

Bluecat Fri 14-Oct-16 23:46:27

I wouldn't say power makes people fat but it does make them look old.

Look at any of our PMs or the US presidents after a few years in office, and they usually look old and haggard. Tony Blair was an obvious example. David Cameron, not so much - he did seem to get rather florid and a bit bloated, but then he always was a bit of a smoothie-chops, even in his early days.

Most of them seem to perk up and look younger when they're no longer in power.

Shanma Fri 14-Oct-16 23:58:45

Pogs. I love cruising, not that I get to do it these days , but I always enjoyed myself, and never put an ounce on, or gramme or whatever floats your boat( No pun intended). It isn't necessary to pig out just because the food is there, nor is it necessary to pig out to have a good time.

durhamjen Sat 15-Oct-16 00:10:42

Corbyn doesn't drink alcohol.

POGS Sat 15-Oct-16 09:39:01

Shanma

That told me then!

I've never been on a cruise but I have been on an All Inclusive, perhaps I am alone in putting on a pound or two when I return from a holiday.

I do 'enjoy myself' anyway.

Im68Now Sat 15-Oct-16 09:58:38

You can't be stressed with a sense of humor like yours. smile

POGS Sat 15-Oct-16 10:31:10

I knew my modelling days would come back to haunt me.

Blinko Sat 15-Oct-16 13:50:10

And Christine LaGarde is sooo slim....envy

daphnedill Sat 15-Oct-16 16:00:41

@Legs55

T1 diabetes most certainly does cause sudden weight loss - as can advanced T2 diabetes.

Insulin resistance means that glucose can't get into the parts of the body which need it. Hence, the weight loss, loss of muscle tone, fatigue and high levels of glucose in the bloodstream.

daphnedill Sat 15-Oct-16 16:01:20

Or in T May's case, lack of insulin.