Gransnet forums

News & politics

clinton v trump

(137 Posts)
Nellsbells Thu 27-Oct-16 14:32:02

he seems to be such a joke that i can't imagine anyone in their right mind voting for him... so what are people voting for?! Is it his racist slurs that attract followers? His disrespect for women?

I know Hillary isn't perfect,but she seems a damn sight better than him...

Anya Tue 08-Nov-16 12:16:50

You are trying to apply logic to his rants speeches? grin

Lewlew Tue 08-Nov-16 12:10:49

Trump said in one of his last stump speeches yesterday that in the US it will be Brexit x3 !! WTF is that all about?

Is he inviting states to secede from the union? hmm

Anya Tue 08-Nov-16 11:55:44

I said where the ignorant seemed to think.... - this does not imply that all those who voted to leave had the same agenda. Many voted for reasons on soveignity and democracy, or because the thought the EU was overextending its powers or likely to implode. There were a small minority of ignorant racists who also voted to leave.

Now the USA Presidential election is a completely different issue. Trump is openly racist and offensive. He has made it quite clear what his primary objective is and is appealing to the worst in people. He has called Mexicans rapists, he has called for a ban on Muslims entering the country, he has angered parents of dead soldiers, he has suggested that Hillary Clinton should be eliminated and he will kick up a right temper tantrum if he doesn't win.

What's there to like? I would suggested uneducated, neo-nazi would apply to most of his supporters, unless you can prove to me there is at least one who is voting for a sound, positive policy as opposed to voting to support a hate agenda.

Rigby46 Tue 08-Nov-16 11:50:31

But grannypiper every uneducated 'neo nazi' will vote for Trump

grannypiper Tue 08-Nov-16 11:44:24

Anya, not everyone who voted to leave is ignorant or racist and not everyone who will vote for Trump is an uneducated neo-nazi.

Anya Sat 05-Nov-16 15:01:15

I shudder to think of the civil unrest that will break out. We saw a bit of a back lash in the UK when the ignorant seemed to think a vote to leave was giving them leave to act out their racist agenda.

That will be nothing compared to what could easily happen in the USA. Some of Trump's supporters are unbelievable and the women .......shock

Yes jen the vigilantes, neo-nazis and renecks will have a field day and minority groups will fight back.

Anya Sat 05-Nov-16 14:53:34

Thanks for getting my point roses I didn't think I was being too obscure and Hislop said the same on HIGNFY last night.

durhamjen Sat 05-Nov-16 14:28:11

Whatever happens, Tuesday is going to be very scary in America.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/05/election-day-violence-donald-trump-poll-watchers

Vigilantes, Neo-nazis and a lot of guns don't go together. Trump supporters have been warned in lots of states not to intimidate the voters.
How has it been allowed to get to this?

Iam64 Sat 05-Nov-16 14:04:52

During a recent visit to the US we met a number of current and former military. All said they would usually vote republican but this time, they'd vote for Hilary. The risks to world peace and the lives of military as well as wider social issues, his friendship with Putin etc were key factors

varian Sat 05-Nov-16 12:27:15

Now it has been disclosed that Melania Trump after immigrating to the US worked illegally as a model, earning over $20,000 seven weeks before being granted a work permitl. She had already been found to have falsely claimed to have a degree in architecture although she had dropped out after the first year. More lies and hypocrasy from the Trumps.

Lewlew Sat 05-Nov-16 10:56:37

I know several Republicans who are voting for Hillary. His supporters are very vocal and the news polls say that about a quarter of them won't accept a Hillary election. I know Ryan admitted to voting for him, but he's the RNC chairman. But who knows if he really did?

So it's not just undecided's. There are closet-Republicans who will not vote Trump, but will not admit it.... hopefully!

Am going to try and keep my exposure to this news to a minimum, it's scary to see America at such an all-time low. sad

durhamjen Sat 05-Nov-16 10:38:14

I wonder if he'll deport his wife for working in the US before she got her green card. He's so against foreigners taking their jobs.

whitewave Sat 05-Nov-16 10:35:33

I must star taking more interest in the US politics as if Trump does win it will make for interesting times. I wonder how many Republicans will refuse to support him?

rosesarered Sat 05-Nov-16 10:19:52

If Clinton had been anyone else at all, the Democrats would win easily, and if Trump had been anyone else at all ( against Clinton) then the Rebublicans would win.
Ain't life strange?

rosesarered Sat 05-Nov-16 10:16:00

If so, remember also that in the UK we elect the PARTY not the person ( as in USA)

rosesarered Sat 05-Nov-16 10:14:50

Or was it meant to be sarcasm?

rosesarered Sat 05-Nov-16 10:14:06

Errrrr, that's Margaret Thatcher.

Im68Now Sat 05-Nov-16 10:07:41

Theresa may is our PM. I have to keep reminding myself that, she won the election fair and square.

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 09:51:09

If Trump wins the fault is with those who vote for him.

Im68Now Sat 05-Nov-16 09:51:03

He's going to put us Grannies in our place, at our age we've got nothing to offer him, apart from a bullet, now, wheres my passport. smile

durhamjen Sat 05-Nov-16 09:48:03

www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2016/11/ohio_federal_judge_orders_no_v.html

Iam64 Sat 05-Nov-16 09:07:37

How can it be only Hilary's fault if Trump wins?

Anya Sat 05-Nov-16 08:10:00

If Hilary Clinton gets beaten and Trump gets elected she will only have herself to blame. Blind ambition on her part, putting herself above the best interest of her country.

I'm pretty sure almost any other democrat running against Trump would have won. But I suppose that's what politics is all about.. Power crazy men, and now women.

willa45 Sat 05-Nov-16 04:05:55

With only four days to go, I want to add this eleventh hour tidbit for the benefit of all my new UK friends.....I've been told that former (Republican) President, George W Bush will be casting his vote for Hillary!! I have no reason to doubt the veracity and I think this is such a hoot, I just had to share!

Lewlew Thu 03-Nov-16 13:04:13

Interesting, Jen ... wish they would publish that in more mainstream papers to get to those that are being influenced by Trump. WSJ readers are like Financial Times readers.

I remember in 2000 when Bush was running, just before we returned to the UK. My dad's neighbour (a banker) a dyed-in-wool Republican was lamenting the fact that if Bush got in, the economy would tank. The original philosophy of Republicans is to spend less and have less public services. And although they always pump up the defence budgets, they do spend less and give tax breaks to the wealthy, still blindly believing in trickle-down economics.They do not understand globalisation, that you cannot keep running things the same old way and not keep up.

An example: American was too late to the game in steel production and lost out to Asia and Europe. The US steel mills clung onto the antiquated Bessemer method when the technology had moved on and did not change till the end of the 1960s.

Why fix something that had not broken yet? The levees in New Orleans were judged to need upgrading but Repulican were determined not to spend the amount recommended by the Army Corps of Engineers. So, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina:

www.progressmichigan.org/2015/08/hurricane-katrina-an-indictment-of-conservative-government/

Sadly, conservatives haven’t spent the last decade learning the lesson that Katrina washed ashore – a country that fails to invest in itself will fail. They refuse to believe that government can do anything correctly, despite the facts to the contrary. Instead of repenting and working to make America great, conservatives have used New Orleans as a laboratory for further experiments with people’s lives.

And just for fun.... remember Leona Helmsley?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leona_Helmsley

We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes. New York Times, Jul. 12, 1989

LOL, just found this quote by her, too!

I wouldn't believe Donald Trump if his tongue was notarized.