Gransnet forums

News & politics

clinton v trump

(137 Posts)
Nellsbells Thu 27-Oct-16 14:32:02

he seems to be such a joke that i can't imagine anyone in their right mind voting for him... so what are people voting for?! Is it his racist slurs that attract followers? His disrespect for women?

I know Hillary isn't perfect,but she seems a damn sight better than him...

Lewlew Sat 05-Nov-16 10:56:37

I know several Republicans who are voting for Hillary. His supporters are very vocal and the news polls say that about a quarter of them won't accept a Hillary election. I know Ryan admitted to voting for him, but he's the RNC chairman. But who knows if he really did?

So it's not just undecided's. There are closet-Republicans who will not vote Trump, but will not admit it.... hopefully!

Am going to try and keep my exposure to this news to a minimum, it's scary to see America at such an all-time low. sad

varian Sat 05-Nov-16 12:27:15

Now it has been disclosed that Melania Trump after immigrating to the US worked illegally as a model, earning over $20,000 seven weeks before being granted a work permitl. She had already been found to have falsely claimed to have a degree in architecture although she had dropped out after the first year. More lies and hypocrasy from the Trumps.

Iam64 Sat 05-Nov-16 14:04:52

During a recent visit to the US we met a number of current and former military. All said they would usually vote republican but this time, they'd vote for Hilary. The risks to world peace and the lives of military as well as wider social issues, his friendship with Putin etc were key factors

durhamjen Sat 05-Nov-16 14:28:11

Whatever happens, Tuesday is going to be very scary in America.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/05/election-day-violence-donald-trump-poll-watchers

Vigilantes, Neo-nazis and a lot of guns don't go together. Trump supporters have been warned in lots of states not to intimidate the voters.
How has it been allowed to get to this?

Anya Sat 05-Nov-16 14:53:34

Thanks for getting my point roses I didn't think I was being too obscure and Hislop said the same on HIGNFY last night.

Anya Sat 05-Nov-16 15:01:15

I shudder to think of the civil unrest that will break out. We saw a bit of a back lash in the UK when the ignorant seemed to think a vote to leave was giving them leave to act out their racist agenda.

That will be nothing compared to what could easily happen in the USA. Some of Trump's supporters are unbelievable and the women .......shock

Yes jen the vigilantes, neo-nazis and renecks will have a field day and minority groups will fight back.

grannypiper Tue 08-Nov-16 11:44:24

Anya, not everyone who voted to leave is ignorant or racist and not everyone who will vote for Trump is an uneducated neo-nazi.

Rigby46 Tue 08-Nov-16 11:50:31

But grannypiper every uneducated 'neo nazi' will vote for Trump

Anya Tue 08-Nov-16 11:55:44

I said where the ignorant seemed to think.... - this does not imply that all those who voted to leave had the same agenda. Many voted for reasons on soveignity and democracy, or because the thought the EU was overextending its powers or likely to implode. There were a small minority of ignorant racists who also voted to leave.

Now the USA Presidential election is a completely different issue. Trump is openly racist and offensive. He has made it quite clear what his primary objective is and is appealing to the worst in people. He has called Mexicans rapists, he has called for a ban on Muslims entering the country, he has angered parents of dead soldiers, he has suggested that Hillary Clinton should be eliminated and he will kick up a right temper tantrum if he doesn't win.

What's there to like? I would suggested uneducated, neo-nazi would apply to most of his supporters, unless you can prove to me there is at least one who is voting for a sound, positive policy as opposed to voting to support a hate agenda.

Lewlew Tue 08-Nov-16 12:10:49

Trump said in one of his last stump speeches yesterday that in the US it will be Brexit x3 !! WTF is that all about?

Is he inviting states to secede from the union? hmm

Anya Tue 08-Nov-16 12:16:50

You are trying to apply logic to his rants speeches? grin

Lewlew Tue 08-Nov-16 13:49:19

Anya grin If I didn't, I'd cry!

rosesarered Tue 08-Nov-16 14:07:37

DH will be staying up all night! I need my sleep though, so won't be.He will be bad tempered if Trump wins.

daphnedill Tue 08-Nov-16 14:09:21

Well said, Anya. And now Farage wants to be President Trump's EU ambassador! Maybe he's realising how much he'd miss Guy Verhofstadt. hmm

daphnedill Tue 08-Nov-16 14:15:23

@lewlew

Didn't they try that once before - I think it was called the Civil War. wink

I suppose the west and east coasts could declare independence and build a big wall round the rest.

Anniebach Tue 08-Nov-16 14:35:13

grannypiper, the KKK has endorsed Trump , what appeals to them must also appeal to any Trump voter surely?

Iam64 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:53:53

granny piper may have a point in saying not all Leave or Trump voters are racist, ignorant neo nazi's. Sadly, every racist, ignorant neo nazi around will vote Trump (and many would have voted Leave)

grannypiper Tue 08-Nov-16 17:57:37

Not at all Anniebach, it is such a sweeping statement ( and i have been told off for them) to say any Trump voter is uneducated racist, yes the kkk back him but a lot of Americans are sick to death of high rates of unemployment that they feel they have to try and change the downward spiral of their country much like supposedly ignorant brexit voters here in the U.K

Iam64 Tue 08-Nov-16 18:04:10

Black Americans are as fed up as white Americans with high rates of unemployment. Supporting anyone who has the backing of the KKK is just unacceptable on any level.

durhamjen Tue 08-Nov-16 18:04:38

What's a high rate of unemployment, grannypiper?
It's the same as the UK, 4.9%, and has been for longer than the UK.

BlueBelle Tue 08-Nov-16 18:15:17

I m afraid I don't think it will make interesting times Whitewave I think you ll need to be very very afraid

Jalima Tue 08-Nov-16 18:23:11

And now Farage wants to be President Trump's EU ambassador!
Is that true?? shock
I am lost for words!

Jalima Tue 08-Nov-16 18:26:25

I have found the words!

That is beyond parody

Tegan Tue 08-Nov-16 18:27:52

Well, that would be another pay cheque for him to cash in whilst not actually turning up for work or doing anything.

whitewave Tue 08-Nov-16 18:38:21

Trump would be a disaster, but I am also feeling wobbly about Clinton as I was reading that her and Putin absolutely hate and detest each other. That worries me over the Middle East etc.