Gransnet forums

News & politics

clinton v trump

(137 Posts)
Nellsbells Thu 27-Oct-16 14:32:02

he seems to be such a joke that i can't imagine anyone in their right mind voting for him... so what are people voting for?! Is it his racist slurs that attract followers? His disrespect for women?

I know Hillary isn't perfect,but she seems a damn sight better than him...

durhamjen Tue 01-Nov-16 23:42:33

'I think if Trump did become president he will be given the same treatment as JFK , bang'

Who said this, on this thread?
You did not complain then.

rosesarered Tue 01-Nov-16 23:42:54

What a strange thing for Attenborough to sayhmm
Trump is awful, but Republicans have to vote for somebody and there can't be millions willing to vote for Hilary or any Democrat ( maybe some will abstain?)
She is the safe option ( the only option!) fingers crossed she will win.?

durhamjen Tue 01-Nov-16 23:48:56

www.google.com/url?q=http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/09/erm-did-donald-trump-just-encourage-people-to-shoot-hillary-clinton-6058170/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwinm_Kf34jQAhWGWBoKHS3oDggQFggIMAE&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGPplFwuUZyEULfdiGxg0kvYnM10A

Trump encouraging people to shoot Clinton.

POGS Wed 02-Nov-16 00:22:43

Sorry durhamjen your deflective tactic won't wash.

I repeat I do not care who, when , where or why somebody says such a crass thing and I think just as little of those who feel in tune with such a disgusting rhetoric, or in tune with those who send death threats and abuse through social media .

Blabbing on about posts that I have missed or a Newsight program that I didn't watch is of no relevance, apart from you trying to deflect my response to your post .

Lewlew Wed 02-Nov-16 10:14:18

His pet peeve with Trump is his denial of climate change. I think DA was using irony... I think he well had in mind that Trump suggested the 2nd Amenders 'take care' of Clinton. However, am surprised DA would stoop to Trump's level even as a joke.

A quip about Trump's coastal Marlago Florida mansion, which could soon be under water due to climate change, might have been actually humorous... and true (my SIL worries about theirs)!

nigglynellie Wed 02-Nov-16 12:46:05

These two contestants would appear to be neck and neck!!! Are we staring at President Trump?!

durhamjen Wed 02-Nov-16 20:02:41

Is that what I was doing, POGS? I thought I was just querying dual standards, where someone else who mentioned Trump being shot was not castigated.

Anniebach Wed 02-Nov-16 22:17:37

Do not refer to me as she please Jen. I said it , I did not say he should be shot, I voiced my fear that it would quite possibly happen.

durhamjen Wed 02-Nov-16 22:40:00

I didn't, Annie. Where did I say "she"?

Anniebach Wed 02-Nov-16 22:43:55

I apologise Jen, mixed up your words - being shot was not

durhamjen Wed 02-Nov-16 23:05:32

I hope Americans take notice of their expert economists.

online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/EconomistLetter11012016.pdf

Lewlew Thu 03-Nov-16 13:04:13

Interesting, Jen ... wish they would publish that in more mainstream papers to get to those that are being influenced by Trump. WSJ readers are like Financial Times readers.

I remember in 2000 when Bush was running, just before we returned to the UK. My dad's neighbour (a banker) a dyed-in-wool Republican was lamenting the fact that if Bush got in, the economy would tank. The original philosophy of Republicans is to spend less and have less public services. And although they always pump up the defence budgets, they do spend less and give tax breaks to the wealthy, still blindly believing in trickle-down economics.They do not understand globalisation, that you cannot keep running things the same old way and not keep up.

An example: American was too late to the game in steel production and lost out to Asia and Europe. The US steel mills clung onto the antiquated Bessemer method when the technology had moved on and did not change till the end of the 1960s.

Why fix something that had not broken yet? The levees in New Orleans were judged to need upgrading but Repulican were determined not to spend the amount recommended by the Army Corps of Engineers. So, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina:

www.progressmichigan.org/2015/08/hurricane-katrina-an-indictment-of-conservative-government/

Sadly, conservatives haven’t spent the last decade learning the lesson that Katrina washed ashore – a country that fails to invest in itself will fail. They refuse to believe that government can do anything correctly, despite the facts to the contrary. Instead of repenting and working to make America great, conservatives have used New Orleans as a laboratory for further experiments with people’s lives.

And just for fun.... remember Leona Helmsley?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leona_Helmsley

We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes. New York Times, Jul. 12, 1989

LOL, just found this quote by her, too!

I wouldn't believe Donald Trump if his tongue was notarized.

willa45 Sat 05-Nov-16 04:05:55

With only four days to go, I want to add this eleventh hour tidbit for the benefit of all my new UK friends.....I've been told that former (Republican) President, George W Bush will be casting his vote for Hillary!! I have no reason to doubt the veracity and I think this is such a hoot, I just had to share!

Anya Sat 05-Nov-16 08:10:00

If Hilary Clinton gets beaten and Trump gets elected she will only have herself to blame. Blind ambition on her part, putting herself above the best interest of her country.

I'm pretty sure almost any other democrat running against Trump would have won. But I suppose that's what politics is all about.. Power crazy men, and now women.

Iam64 Sat 05-Nov-16 09:07:37

How can it be only Hilary's fault if Trump wins?

durhamjen Sat 05-Nov-16 09:48:03

www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2016/11/ohio_federal_judge_orders_no_v.html

Im68Now Sat 05-Nov-16 09:51:03

He's going to put us Grannies in our place, at our age we've got nothing to offer him, apart from a bullet, now, wheres my passport. smile

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 09:51:09

If Trump wins the fault is with those who vote for him.

Im68Now Sat 05-Nov-16 10:07:41

Theresa may is our PM. I have to keep reminding myself that, she won the election fair and square.

rosesarered Sat 05-Nov-16 10:14:06

Errrrr, that's Margaret Thatcher.

rosesarered Sat 05-Nov-16 10:14:50

Or was it meant to be sarcasm?

rosesarered Sat 05-Nov-16 10:16:00

If so, remember also that in the UK we elect the PARTY not the person ( as in USA)

rosesarered Sat 05-Nov-16 10:19:52

If Clinton had been anyone else at all, the Democrats would win easily, and if Trump had been anyone else at all ( against Clinton) then the Rebublicans would win.
Ain't life strange?

whitewave Sat 05-Nov-16 10:35:33

I must star taking more interest in the US politics as if Trump does win it will make for interesting times. I wonder how many Republicans will refuse to support him?

durhamjen Sat 05-Nov-16 10:38:14

I wonder if he'll deport his wife for working in the US before she got her green card. He's so against foreigners taking their jobs.