Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump and Farage

(74 Posts)
suzied Tue 15-Nov-16 05:42:40

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I wondered what people think about Farage cosying up to Trump? Is he trying to becomie part of the unelected establishment elite he rallied against? I can't think the Tories will tolerate this for one minute. But who does he think he is? He has failed 7 times to be elected as an MP, and doesn't turn up to do the job he is paid for . Why doesn't he go away and get his life back?

Ana Wed 16-Nov-16 17:31:51

Except that it wasn't the UK that voted him in. For all we know the vast majority of his supporters do want him to carry out his manifesto promises.

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 17:32:44

Social media so the argument goes is that it is changing our political debate, and coursening the discourse.

It anonymises individuals who then behave entirely differently than they normally would towards others.

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 17:33:17

Yes that's true

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 17:37:36

I've just looked at the Klu Klux Kan web site. Mad as hatters, but absolutely chillling.

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 20:20:15

If Farage gets a peerage then I will truly believe that the honours system is completely lacking any integrity whatsoever.

norose4 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:05:42

Couldn't agree more

Ginny42 Thu 17-Nov-16 07:37:36

What on earth...? Did you see the PM's response and do you see it as a denial or can it be serious? This would be another stage in the madness that has marked 2016.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-peerage-theresa-may-pmqs-live-house-of-lords-a7420881.html

whitewave Thu 17-Nov-16 07:41:55

Nothing surprises me any more.

grannypiper Thu 17-Nov-16 08:04:22

whitewave The honours system has lacked integrity for decades.

whitewave Thu 17-Nov-16 08:54:23

True

whitewave Tue 22-Nov-16 08:22:13

So Trump wants our two bit boozer, smelling of cigarettes for the British ambassador. Think on Trump!!

daphnedill Tue 22-Nov-16 08:33:02

Just seen this on Twitter from Reuters:
Britain tells Trump: 'There is no vacancy' for Farage as ambassador to United States
twitter.com/Reuters?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I wonder if anybody has ever told Trump that diplomats are supposed to be...err...diplomatic. It's not a quality I automatically associate with Farage. hmm

Ginny42 Tue 22-Nov-16 08:52:16

Thank you for that link DD. Lots more interesting stuff on there I didn't know.

JessM Tue 22-Nov-16 08:58:31

Do wonder how long before Trump's Chief of Staff will take his mobile off him to stop him tweeting.
Can't really see how the whole endeavour is going to work - Trump as president.
He's got to get about 4,000 new appointments lined up over the next 6 weeks or so and then they have to be approved by Senate. Even the republican majority must be v worried. His behaviour is like a teenage bully with a limited attention span.

Ginny42 Tue 22-Nov-16 12:51:09

I thought I read somewhere that he does indeed have a limited attention span. Anyone else read that?

What would worry me is the appointments of his children, with no political experience, to his strategy group. We're witnessing the rise of the Trump dynnasty. Note his daughter was the only other person at the meeting with the Japanese Prime Minister the other day. You know, the daughter about whom he once said had he not been her father would have been dating. What goes on in that man's head? Very worrying.

trisher Tue 22-Nov-16 14:25:57

I wondered about Farage for ambassador. At least I thought it would get him out of the counry and we wouldn't have to suffer numerous photo shoots with him at the pub. But then I realised it simply wouldn't be fair to the Americans, They already have their own village-idiot controversial politician to deal with, we can't really send them another one.

daphnedill Tue 22-Nov-16 16:16:41

There's also the small matter of the incumbent UK ambassador to the US. An ambassador is supposed to represent the Queen and the British government. Can you see Farage doing that?

Deedaa Tue 22-Nov-16 20:23:29

Remembering how rude Farage has been to various members of the European Parliament I feel that diplomacy is not one of his strengths. wink

Jalima Tue 22-Nov-16 20:46:10

ambassador shock

What, for the UK! shock

the highest-ranking person who represents his or her own government while living in another country. shock

Would he take his own supply of Ferrero Rocher or would they be too European?

Gardenman99 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:28:12

It just goes to show how bad the Tories Labour Lib Dems and American politicians must be that Trump and Farage can say the words that millions of voters have been saying for years and never listened to. The main parties still don't get it. They have conned and miss-lead the masses. "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."
Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

norose4 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:52:14

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim (babysitting stint catching up!)Gardenman99) but I am not quite sure what you meant ?

durhamjen Tue 22-Nov-16 22:09:11

But the point is that Trump and Farage have done exactly the same, Gardenman. They have been telling lies and have changed their minds about lots of things. The wall, Clinton, etc.
Don't like dynasties, except their own. Farage led us into Brexit telling lies; Trump gained the presidency and he doesn't know what to do with it. Obama is being exceedingly pleasant to him, having realised that Trump knows nothing about government.

They are the elite that they complained about, both millionaires. Trump has paid £25 million to stop himself from being taken to court.
I wonder what all those people who voted for them think now, now both of them have been proved to be charlatans.

JessM Tue 22-Nov-16 22:10:28

Downright opaque.

durhamjen Tue 22-Nov-16 22:12:06

This is an interesting article by Jonathan Freedland.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/19/brexit-trump-left-crucial-flaw-leavers-alt-right-ruthlessness

I think he's right.

norose4 Tue 22-Nov-16 22:40:41

Brilliant article Durhamjen, thanks for posting link