Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cut out the Literally Hitler Hysteria

(51 Posts)
thatbags Wed 16-Nov-16 17:06:00

This, Cut out the Literally Hitler Hysteria by Sumantra Maitra, is very good.

A little extract to give you the flavour:
"It is frankly absurd to call a British Punjabi shop owner racist, if he opposes immigration from Bulgaria or Eritrea or Ivory Coast, which might or might not cost him his job. It’s not racism, it’s something much more primitive, a sort of Darwinian survivalism."

Darwinian survivalism! Thank you, Sumantra. I've been looking for a suitable epithet for things that, as you rightly say, are not racist.

Another wee extract for the people who hild up placards screaming "fashisom":
"The cynic in me is fairly certain that when it comes to fighting actual fascism, should it ever come again, it would be logically incoherent, for those who oppose guns, and those who faint on seeing Trump 2016 written in chalk across Uni Campuses to lead the fray".

Go, Maitra!! Sock it to 'em. Oh, and people who are shocked by any of the above, please read the whole article before you start sounding off. This guy is spot on.

TriciaF Wed 16-Nov-16 18:20:46

Darwinist Survivalism - I wonder if anyone can guess where this comes from:
"Any final remnant that survives will doubtless consist of the elements most capable of resistance. They must be dealt with appropriately, since, representing the fruit of natural selection, they are to be regarded as the core of a new Jewish revival.”

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 18:28:47

Hysteria indeed. MK be a clue?

DaphneBroon Wed 16-Nov-16 18:38:14

Milton Keynes??? confused

petra Wed 16-Nov-16 18:38:36

thatbags thank you thank you thank you. Only a couple of days ago the OH and I were having a conversation about this and I remember saying: there has to be a word for what I'm feeling Re the Brexit vote.
All the 'experts' kept saying I voted to leave because of this that and the other and I knew that they were wrong. The feeling was so strong but I didn't have a word or meaning, and now I do. So happy.

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 18:39:30

grin I'm not sure waiting for tricia to get back

petra Wed 16-Nov-16 18:44:24

And now, every time someone keeps demanding why 'we' voted in the way 'we' did, I can direct her to this article, simples grin

TerriBull Wed 16-Nov-16 18:51:11

Good article thatbags, I remember seeing black writer Dreda Say Mitchell on QT arguing the case for Brexit along the lines of most of her family were working class, didn't care about "no borders Europe" the younger members weren't likely to take week-end breaks in Milan or Barcelona any time soon, they just wanted a job. Similary some in settled Asian communities, probably 3rd generation, can be quite vociferous in their attitudes as to stricter rules on immigration, because they know their communities are likely to be squeezed.

Some c'lebs go completely over the top when they don't get t result they want at the polling booth. Long before Brexit when the Conservatives won the General Election in 2015, warbler Lily Allen's Twitter feed declared something along the lines of, "I need to move abroad I can't live under fascism". It seems she didn't learn enough at her posh school to make the distinction between a centre right party and a totalitarian dictatorship, where citizens can just disappear for any form of dissent.

Anyway unfortunately for us reedy voiced Lily didn't go abroad so we are still stuck with her although she does pop up from time to time to let us know what she thinks of this government, usually with tears in her eyes, which not only gives her the opportunity to demonstrate what a caring person she is by wiping her tears away which simultaneously allows everyone to see how fabulous her nails are. Double result!

Jeremy Clarkson pointed out in The Sunday Times at the week-end, whilst alluding to Brexit and Trup "It's going to get worse because the more we continue to ram political correctness, cycle lanes etc. down eveyone's throats in northern heartlands, the more they'll think "why don't you sod off you southern poofs" He suggests that as Westminster is to be refurbished, that Mps could meet somewhere else say Hartlepool, because he is of the opinion "after a while in the former steel town they might understand in the great scheme of things, Eddie Izzard's right to wear a pink beret is not that important"

Trump wouldn't be my choice, but I do think there are a lot of people in public life who need to get a sense of proportion and stop labling others who don't vote the way they would, fascists and racists.

thatbags Wed 16-Nov-16 19:01:43

And here, for contrast with the guy in the first video are the calm and measured tones of Sam Harris's podcast, "Dismantling Donald Trump and why he won".

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 19:06:24

OK tricia is it Mein Kampf? I know he claimed to base a lot if his arguments on what he described as social Darwinism. Probably wrong.

suzied Wed 16-Nov-16 19:12:10

So everything is ticketty boo in laa laa land. Oh good.

DaphneBroon Wed 16-Nov-16 19:52:29

Oh that is a relief whitewave, Milton Keynes has many faults but I didn't think Hitler was one of them.

daphnedill Wed 16-Nov-16 19:55:14

No, it's from the Wannsee Conference, when the Final Solution was discussed.

whitewave Wed 16-Nov-16 20:10:31

Thanks dd I recognised it as something along those lines.

Ana Wed 16-Nov-16 20:11:33

Good post, TerriBull.

Jalima Wed 16-Nov-16 20:19:12

Anyway unfortunately for us reedy voiced Lily didn't go abroad so we are still stuck with her although she does pop up from time to time to let us know what she thinks of this government, usually with tears in her eyes, which not only gives her the opportunity to demonstrate what a caring person she is by wiping her tears away which simultaneously allows everyone to see how fabulous her nails are. Double result!

rofl

and does anyone want to tell Gary Lineker to use a football as a gobstopper please?

I can think for myself without some sleb telling me what I should think whilst crying crocodile tears.

LumpySpacedPrincess Wed 16-Nov-16 20:31:27

But Hitler didn't look like Hitler when Hitler was elected did he? He didn't put the final solution on his manifesto.

TriciaF Wed 16-Nov-16 20:43:54

That's right, DaphneD.
I came across the subject recently on another forum.

rosesarered Wed 16-Nov-16 20:49:03

Good article bags and good post TerriBull made me smile.

LumpySpacedPrincess Wed 16-Nov-16 20:49:56

A lot of women may be about to lose their right to control their own bodies, that's not something to sneer at.

Abortion may be banned in some states, that is incredibly backward, controlling and misogynist but hey ho, so long as you can all have a giggle at the young lad who can't spell. All about priorities isn't it.

rosesarered Wed 16-Nov-16 20:50:01

Especially Eddie Izzards right to wear a pink beret. grin

thatbags Wed 16-Nov-16 21:07:21

I really recommend Harris's podcast.

Ana Wed 16-Nov-16 21:15:44

No one's sneering, LumpySpacedPrincess.

Hellomonty Wed 16-Nov-16 21:58:15

The thing is he did. Mein Kamph is not ambiguous. It is all there. All if it. But people didn't read it. Chose to ignore it. Made excuses. And voted in a man who began to erode civil liberties the moment he gained power and went on to try and do everything he had promised destroying much of the world as he did it.

And people laughed at those who opposed his election and jeered at those who pointed out inconsistencies.

Hellomonty Wed 16-Nov-16 22:00:25

Sorry that was meant as a reaponse to lumpyspacedprincess