Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cut out the Literally Hitler Hysteria

(52 Posts)
thatbags Wed 16-Nov-16 17:06:00

This, Cut out the Literally Hitler Hysteria by Sumantra Maitra, is very good.

A little extract to give you the flavour:
"It is frankly absurd to call a British Punjabi shop owner racist, if he opposes immigration from Bulgaria or Eritrea or Ivory Coast, which might or might not cost him his job. It’s not racism, it’s something much more primitive, a sort of Darwinian survivalism."

Darwinian survivalism! Thank you, Sumantra. I've been looking for a suitable epithet for things that, as you rightly say, are not racist.

Another wee extract for the people who hild up placards screaming "fashisom":
"The cynic in me is fairly certain that when it comes to fighting actual fascism, should it ever come again, it would be logically incoherent, for those who oppose guns, and those who faint on seeing Trump 2016 written in chalk across Uni Campuses to lead the fray".

Go, Maitra!! Sock it to 'em. Oh, and people who are shocked by any of the above, please read the whole article before you start sounding off. This guy is spot on.

Beammeupscottie Thu 17-Nov-16 13:28:55

I know it is not pure Darwinism but Economic Darwinism is in usage to-day and therefore has a place.
It's why everyone wants money. It is perceived you need to be rich to survive, hence the fear of the drain on your resources by the demands of the poor.
A very good article