Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jo Cox Assassin convicted

(128 Posts)
JessM Wed 23-Nov-16 22:28:13

The man who assassinated Jo Cox was sent to prison today, probably for the rest of his life. I am glad that the judge was clear that it was a political crime - she was not some random victim but was picked out by a right wing terrorist because of her political beliefs and activities.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXAAvU1VGZg&app=desktop

durhamjen Fri 25-Nov-16 17:29:03

How about getting back to the subject, then, Ana, instaed of just complaining about what I write.

Elegran Fri 25-Nov-16 17:30:57

Yes, how about getting back to the subject instead of accusing people of "making excuses" when they quote press suggestions of possible reasons.

Pots? Burnt kettles?

durhamjen Fri 25-Nov-16 17:53:29

I didn't accuse anyone of making excuses. I accused the DM of making excuses for Jo Cox's killer, which it did.
No newspaper editor should have allowed that through after having found out his links to the Nazi sites. It's quite sick.
At least the judge realised that when he did not allow the killer to make a speech after having refused to say anything when he was in the position of possible cross-questioning.

Anniebach Fri 25-Nov-16 18:28:03

No freedom of speech?

JessM Fri 25-Nov-16 18:29:46

I think making up a motivation based on some speculation by the neighbour of a "loner" is not an acceptable bit of journalism - when the crime is so serious - an attack not just on a woman, but on our democratic system, in which it is important to respect MPs for who and what they represent.
The Mail newspapers fabricate and lie. I was once with my DH when he was asked to comment on a fabricated story that was being written for the Mail on Sunday. He just kept explaining them that the allegation on which the story was based was not true because there were things in place to prevent X and "if you print that, it will be a deliberate lie". Of course they carried on with printing their alarmist fiction.

Anniebach Fri 25-Nov-16 18:38:36

Support for the IRA after they've murdered MP's was no different

JessM Fri 25-Nov-16 22:16:22

What are you talking about Anniebach support by the Daily Mail smile Or are you talking about Irish Republicans rather than national newspapers?

Anniebach Fri 25-Nov-16 22:28:19

Anyone who excuses murder, I really dislike the DM but I didn't see an excuse for this murder, it is so natural to ask, why? It's natural to look for reasons but reasons are not excuses. I do believe this man had mental health problems but this is not an excuse for his crime . I have never known the emotion of hate , pray I never will , I do wonder what fills a person with hatred and bitterness.

The IRA mudered two MP's and tried to muder a cabinet, I do understand their anger and reasons but this doesn't excuse it

Shanma Fri 25-Nov-16 23:55:02

Jess. I DID say that I didn't disagree with you about the Daily Mail
( cat litter paper). I said that these people should not be given any publicity at all because that is the one thing they crave.

Washerwoman Sat 26-Nov-16 07:34:44

Annie Bach I was wondering the same about his mental health issues.That's absolutely NOT excusing his heinous crime. I haven't had time to read around various other papers this week but have been listening to the radio a lot driving around and haven't heard any mention of his request for help with mental health issues and being turned away ,and told to come back the next day,the day before he murdered Jo Cox. I can't help feeling sad that maybe,just maybe, circumstances would have been different that terrible day if he had been able to diffuse some feelings of such rage talking to a therapist.I've often wondered how the person who turned him away must feel,and probably for very genuine reasons,but he was seeking to be 'heard' somehow.Obviously all the far right material shows he was a ticking time bomb,but Jo Cox unfortunately had a surgery that very next day.We will never know I guess how long he had calculated his attack.Just so sad and such a waste.

daphnedill Sat 26-Nov-16 08:42:54

He and his team didn't offer mental health as a defence. Her murder was premeditated and planned.

Knowing that there are people like him, the press should be more aware of its responsibilities.

Anniebach Sat 26-Nov-16 08:51:18

He and his team didn't offer any defence

Anya Sat 26-Nov-16 09:03:44

We're too quick these days to suggest people who commit crimes we can't comprehend have mental health issues. This is insulting to all the many people who genuinely struggle with mental issues themselves but lead blameless lives.

It's a cop out for people who are just greedy, evil, hate-filled and who don't even try to exert any self control and don't understand the concept of live and let live.

Greyduster Sat 26-Nov-16 09:16:26

anya well said!

daphnedill Sat 26-Nov-16 09:31:33

I know they didn't, ab.

I agree with you, Anya. It would appear that he understood perfectly well what he was doing.

Anniebach Sat 26-Nov-16 09:35:01

I disagree Anya, we have only recently accepted discussions on mental health.

You seem to believe mental illness is one illness, not so, just like the body there are many different illnesses of the mind.

Elegran Sat 26-Nov-16 10:06:48

It is possible for someone to be perfectly aware of what they are doing, know that it is both legally and morally wrong and unacceptable, and that if they are found out and convicted they will be liable for the full weight of the law and the disgust of everyone.

Their previous life experiences may have influenced them to that extent - they still have no excuse for it, - but without those life experiences it is possible that they might not have committed it. That doesn't make it OK for them to do it, and they are still responsible for their actions, but their past life is still there in their mind, and to them anyway is still vivid enough to influence them.

Anniebach Sat 26-Nov-16 10:14:02

My views too Elegran. I think some will accept the difference between a migraine and a brain tumour but see mentsl illness as one illness refusing to understand it is a very large umberella

If a person is found to have commited a crime because of a mental illness it is not an excuse it is an explanation

durhamjen Sat 26-Nov-16 10:20:16

James O'Brien says all there is to say about the DM.

www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/jo-cox-murderer-page-30-daily-mail-james-obrien/

Anniebach Sat 26-Nov-16 10:23:54

James O'Brian says all he wants to say

daphnedill Sat 26-Nov-16 10:54:28

Michael Adebowale, one of Lee Rigby's killers, had a history of pyschosis. I don't remember anybody cutting him any slack. The Daily Mail devoted 7 pages (including the front one) to his conviction.

daphnedill Sat 26-Nov-16 10:55:58

Mair's mental illnesses don't explain his murder. His racism does.

durhamjen Sat 26-Nov-16 10:57:14

Have you watched it, Annie? He speaks for me as well, and probably a few million others.

Exactly, Daphne. That was O'Brien's point. I am surprised Annie can't see that.

Elegran Sat 26-Nov-16 11:04:39

No-one is cutting him any slack, and no-one thinks that any one factor explains the murder. But a man's whole past life contributes to making him what he is. That combined with his own intrinsic personality and hatreds and the external pressures of political and social upheaval all work together.

Most people don't commit murders in those circumstances, but some do. This has turned out to be one who does. He should not be allowed to be in a position to commit more in the future.

daphnedill Sat 26-Nov-16 11:05:43

It's ironic really that the DM would be the first to demonise somebody who had never worked, lived on benefits and lived, as a single person, in a three bedroom house.

The hacks know what they're doing. The claim that Jo Cox hadn't helped Mair came from a distant relative. The DM can't be sued for lying, because it just reported what a third party had claimed she had been told by Mair. If challenged, the DM could just say they were just reporting what they'd been told.

The article is misleading because the headline and the four bullet points lead the reader to think they are factual. It is well known that many readers never read beyond the headline, the bullet points and possible the first paragraph. There is no clear distinction between the claims and the actual facts, which came up in the trial.

It's all 'nudge nudge wink wink' reporting. The implication is quite clear that immigrants and Jo Cox herself had some responsibility for Mair's state of mind.