Gransnet forums

News & politics

The cost of Brexit for us; the ordinary people

(1001 Posts)
MaizieD Mon 12-Dec-16 08:29:59

There have been headlines over the weekend, in response to the recent polling, on the lines of "Nobody voted for Brexit in order to become poorer" (though they were good at dsmissing warnings that they would as 'scaremongering') Richard Murphy takes us through 10 reasons why he thinks it is inevitable. If anyone has an authoritative source to counter his points I'd be happy to see it.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/12/11/ten-reasons-why-brexit-is-bound-to-be-costly-for-ordinary-people/

durhamjen Mon 12-Dec-16 21:20:40

No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main..
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.

John Donne, 1624. A shame more people did not understand this in June. Then we wouldn't be in this mess.

durhamjen Mon 12-Dec-16 21:22:31

www.radicalteatowel.com/image/cache/magnet-europe-700x700.jpg

rosesarered Mon 12-Dec-16 21:24:54

granjura.... your bitterness at Brexit and the cost to your own household(as you have told us about many times) is threatening to get the better of you, by being personal in your posts.

durhamjen Mon 12-Dec-16 21:25:40

Aren't you bored of this, roses?

durhamjen Mon 12-Dec-16 21:28:01

How much of your income are you prepared to lose, roses?
I don't have much to lose, so that's okay.

Cunco Mon 12-Dec-16 21:28:09

If people were unaware of a potential cost to Leave, the Remain campaign must have been the most inept in history.

Taxing people who voted Brexit? Ah, you give the bankers and the Scots a tax break and squeeze the old and disadvantaged. Wow!

Ana Mon 12-Dec-16 21:30:28

of...? shock

JessM Mon 12-Dec-16 21:30:57

Truth of the matter is that the Leave camp was funded by Banks and other rich men who want to get rid of employment legislation that is backed by EU. They want to drive down the cost of employing staff - less holiday pay, maternity pay etc being paid out - and instead of bringining migrant labour from EU bring in cheaper migrant labour from the rest of the world. Thus increasing profit margins in many businesses and enriching shareholders etc
This will serve to keep prices down - but also drive wages down for UK people = particularly those in lower paid jobs.

rosesarered Mon 12-Dec-16 21:34:22

Many of us thought long and hard about Brexit before we voted, and I certainly didn't vote that way because I thought it would be Paradise and easy peasy to do.I do believe that it will be better for the UK in the long run, and that's how you must think with something like this, think of the future , not the price of Marmite etc.
however, of course I accept there is worry from others who voted Remain, but it's high time we had less personal rancour on these threads thrown in a personal way at anybody who thought/thinks otherwise.
You may get more comments from a lot of gransnetters on your Brexit threads then.

Ana Mon 12-Dec-16 21:37:30

Hear hear roses!

gillybob Mon 12-Dec-16 21:40:45

Suggesting that robots will steal jobs is nothing short of ridiculous. shock

I work,with robots. Robots are brilliant at doing "same tasks" . Those ones that humans would neither want to do, or even in most cases, be allowed to do because of modern H&S legislation (repetitive strain, lifting etc.) robots are not delivered to a factory with a brain. They cannot walk through the door and push Jim aside saying "move over Jim this is my job now" . Robots have to be programmed by a person, they have to maintained by a person, they are more often than not integrated into a production line to assist a real person.

tiggypiro Mon 12-Dec-16 21:48:01

Whatever happens in the future my cup will always be half full (and more) as I am very optimistic and I much prefer that to being all doom and gloom. Some may think I have my head in the sand but quite frankly I don't give a damn.

granjura Mon 12-Dec-16 21:49:15

Lol you write posts like that.

You do seem to be obsessed with me at the moment djen...... a bit weird really.

and then accuse me of making posts personal, really?

Actually, our vote had very little to do with the direct impact on us, financially or otherwise- I can honestly say.

It was about the country we loved, the openess and the tolerance - the truly 'great' about Great Britain. I am sad and upset, by not really for our financial loss - we are very lucky that so far we can take it on the chin and cope, by making adjustments, but without making real sacrifices- we are very very lucky. I despair for the new Littleand divided Britain our grand-children are growing up in- and for those people who will truly bear the brunt of Brexit - and who truly do not not have much hope anyhow, or much future.

Hand on heart- I can truly say that nought of that has got to do with our finances- which I only used as an illustration.

I know you want believe it- but that is fine.

And yes, Ana and you do seem to be 'obssessed' as you say about DJ and myself. Just had nearly one month off Gransnet - and I am really sad to see some of my favourite posters have left due to your constant attacks.

Sad- tragic even.

As said, it will be even more tragic when people realise that they will be worse off, when they voted because they had lost hope and thought they would be better off- and have nothing to lose- unlike people like us who could get hit badly and still be ok. We could actually personally gain massively from his whole debacle if we wished.

gillybob Mon 12-Dec-16 21:51:29

As a small business employer JessM it bothers me that we are all lumped together with the multi national corporations. I am afraid that unless you are an employer today you have no idea how hard it is. My staff all earn way more than DH and I ever will. They are paid decent wages and all appropriate benefits too . They have good holidays, paid sick leave, paternity pay (we do not employ any women except for me), pensions, overtime etc.

My 65 year old DH is at work now ( 21.47) having started at 05.00. He is no doubt slogging himself half to death, doing the work of someone who rang in sick this morning.

granjura Mon 12-Dec-16 21:51:34

Robots have already stolen 1000s of jobs - they are often called computers. Look at the car industry! Look at all the stores with self check out, petrol pumps- and all the manufacturing processes.

Ana Mon 12-Dec-16 21:56:25

I can haardly be 'obsessed with you' granjura when I hadn't even noticed you were missing...hmm

rosesarered Mon 12-Dec-16 21:58:40

Please read all posts that have the name Roses in them written by djen........
I think obsessed does fit the bill.
What rubbish granjura if you have been off Gransnet I certainly hadn't noticed, but don't blame either Ana or myself.
Furthermore, Remainers do not have the moral high ground on here, much as you would like to think so.

granjura Mon 12-Dec-16 22:02:45

oh I do not blame anybody- it was entirely my choice as I was travelling and never log on when I am on hols.

We cancelled next year's big trip- but there was no way we would miss this one- thanks.

gillybob Mon 12-Dec-16 22:02:52

Robots and computers are different granjura. Yes there are robots in the car factories mainly doing the dangerous jobs that modern legislation would not allow a human to do. I has to work both ways. As I said earlier you they can't program themselves.

durhamjen Mon 12-Dec-16 22:07:35

I only mentioned you on here because you said you were bored of Brexit, roses.
Why are you still writing on the thread?
Far from being bored of Brexit, you seem to be obsessed by it.

merlotgran Mon 12-Dec-16 22:07:53

Hang on a cotton pickin', granjura. Some of your favourite posters have left because of Ana?

What a load of tosh.

Name them!

rosesarered Mon 12-Dec-16 22:27:02

There aren't any!

Ana Mon 12-Dec-16 22:27:05

And yes, Ana and you do seem to be 'obssessed' as you say about DJ and myself. Just had nearly one month off Gransnet - and I am really sad to see some of my favourite posters have left due to your constant attacks.

Not just me - apparently both roses and I are to blame for the sudden loss of posters in the last month! confused

I'd be interested to know who they are as well, merlot.

Ana Mon 12-Dec-16 22:28:25

For 'attacks' read 'differences of opinion'.

Ana Mon 12-Dec-16 22:30:10

Some posters just don't like their views being challenged.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion