Gransnet forums

News & politics

Identity Cards

(176 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Thu 22-Dec-16 06:09:27

I wish Identity Cards would be introduced, eventually it has to happen so we should all get on with it.,The only people that could possibly object would be someone with something to hide. If they don't have one they wouldn't officially exist, their decision. Everyone would gave access to Medical Care etc and be traceable.

Nonnie Thu 22-Dec-16 10:30:35

shysal have you thought about what could happen if you lost your bag? With all that information and your house/car keys inside?

I'm another one in favour of ID cards and don't even mind if my emails are monitored. If someone bothers to do that they will be very bored!

I don't see why it even needs our address just maybe our NI number (for adults) in the chip. I think they can be made difficult to forge if all necessary people have appropriate card readers.

If other countries can use them to know who to charge for health care why can't we?

Bijou Thu 22-Dec-16 10:32:27

We had ID cards during the war and for some time afterwards. Because of my age I never go out without my details in my purse in case of accident.

Greyduster Thu 22-Dec-16 10:34:38

Why would your sexual orientation need to be stated on an ID card? I can't see how that's relevant.

Libmoggy Thu 22-Dec-16 10:39:07

I've still got mine from WW2. I'd have no objection to having an updated version

Lewlew Thu 22-Dec-16 10:41:36

In the US we must carry driving licences when driving. (Whether you live there or visiting from abroad). I find that very odd here that you don't. Considering an accident, the one at fault can just scarper after exchanging false details if they have a record! When there is a need to stop a motorist for accidents, speeding or a breath-check, you must produce your licence to show you have a valid one.

For ID purposes, the US state DVLA equivalent issues non-driving cards with the same details and the database is kept by them.

That way if you do not have a passport and want to do banking, sign contracts, buy booze if you look underage, you can produce this and it's an official ID.

Why not... with identity theft such a problem, I think it should be put into practice.

floorflock Thu 22-Dec-16 10:45:02

Has anybody considered the fact that the Government does, from time to time, LOSE vital information on people by leaving laptops and memory sticks either on public transport or in taxi's! They are incompetent buffoons and abuse the information that they already hold to further their own ends. I don't want one.

Worthingpatchworker Thu 22-Dec-16 10:54:05

The big problem with documents...anything man made can be forged....
Fingerprints and DNA are unique and cannot be forged.

newnanny Thu 22-Dec-16 10:55:23

ID cards could be introduced with basic information on name, nationality, date of birth, NHS number, National insurance number home address and phone number. I don't see why religion or gender need to be included. I can't see why anyone could object. It would allow government to stamp down on NHS tourism so they could afford cancer drugs for nationals. I am sure people in witness protection schemes would be given cards with their fake identities to use.

Lozzamas Thu 22-Dec-16 11:09:28

I'd object - I have nothing to hide, indeed I'm probably on so many databases that big brother knows anything they want about me anyway. But there is something horrible about being required to carry your papers and be able to be singled out- perhaps I'm influenced by being from a family with a Jewish European heritage. Once issued they'll use it to record all manner of other things - if not on the card on the instantly accessible data record behind it - all Jews or Muslims stand over there please....

durhamjen Thu 22-Dec-16 11:14:04

The government has just lost the case about emails. It was a Tory MP who brought the case to the high court.
So the government cannot snoop on all our emails.

ID cards reminiscent of the pass laws in South Africa. Who applauded Mandela for burning his?

Ankers Thu 22-Dec-16 11:17:48

Greyduster, that is the point.
Once we have ID cards or have been implanted, what is to stop whatever information someone wants being put on it, whether it is even true or not.

Ankers Thu 22-Dec-16 11:21:50

Luckylegs9, if you have nothing to hide, start posting all your personal details on this thread. Everything.

Obviously I dont really want you to do that.

Welshwife Thu 22-Dec-16 11:29:46

I have no problem with ID cards as I am sure that only certain information will actually be on the card - bit like our date of birth being hidden within our driving lic. number. We all had identity cards during the war and no problem with that although I see that with computers etc more info is easily available. Things which might prove sensitive could be left off. Presumably anyone in Witness protection has a whole new identity and that info would be the things on the ID card.
You are supposed to carry ID all the time in France - we do not carry our passports but do have our photo licence and also our card which shows our eligibility for health cover - this also has a photo on it - but by some mystery mine looks rather more like my mother than me! grin
It is amazing what the intelligence agencies can see at the press of a button - so carrying a card would be little different but the restricted info on there should be enough for all normal reasons to show who you are.

MargaretX Thu 22-Dec-16 11:37:26

I have carried a german ID card for 40 years and have never been asked for it exept in banks when opening an account and post offices when collecting a parcel.

Young people are asked more often and have to have it to visit discos and nightclubs.

Bellasnana Thu 22-Dec-16 11:41:23

I have lived in Malta for 36 years and have no problem whatsoever about carrying my ID card. It has name, address, date and place of birth, nationality and gender, also a rather flattering photo tchgrin

MargaretX Thu 22-Dec-16 11:43:09

Re reading my post I realise that I produce it automatically when going into hospital or going into court to translate. It simplifies life and I wouldn't want to be without it and produce driving licences and old envelopes which someimes happened in the UK.

durhamjen Thu 22-Dec-16 11:51:54

That's a thought, Bellasnana. My buspass photo certainly shows that I had been arguing with the woman at the council over whether my husband needed a pass with a companion. I won, but the photo doesn't look like it.

eGJ Thu 22-Dec-16 11:54:23

Only problem "MargaretX" is getting a flattering one taken! grin

Teddy123 Thu 22-Dec-16 11:59:24

I found my mothers ID card when she passed away. I think everyone had then post 2nd world war.

Pointless now since literally everything can be forged. It's a different world ...

Dee Thu 22-Dec-16 12:03:29

Well said Mary XYX, I have friends who live in fear of being found by abusive ex partners. They certainly haven't done anything illegal but do have something to hide. Some gransnetters seem to live in a middle England bubble and are unable to imagine what life may be like for others.

harrigran Thu 22-Dec-16 12:05:57

It is time ID cards were introduced, I do not have a problem with carrying a card. It should be mandatory to show a card to prove you are eligible for NHS treatment and help put a stop to health tourism.

Legs55 Thu 22-Dec-16 12:22:49

I would be happy to carry an ID Card, I have recently had 10 months without a Driving Licence & my Passport is 3 years out of date - very difficult to prove your ID if required as there is often no alternative. I have had to take Council Tax Bill, recent Utility Bill, DWP letters stating entitlement to Benefit & produce Bank Statements all to prove who I amtchbiscuit

My DM has had to give up driving at age 87 - no Licence & never held a Passporttchhmm

I have my National Insurance card (can remember NINO off by heart), NHS Card, thankfully now my Driving Licence & Bank, Credit & Points Cards not sure an ID Card would hold any information that's already in the Public Domain - please just get on with issuing themtchgrinI always carry Driving Licence so ID Card would be no different.

Yorkshiregel Thu 22-Dec-16 12:24:23

I don't object to an identity card, why would you? The only objection I would have is that we all have an NIS number so surely we all have an identity card already?

silverlining48 Thu 22-Dec-16 12:26:22

I have no problem with Id cards. It need only have name, date and place of birth, and nationality, so should not be a security problem. We carry other cards so it wouldn't prove a problem. They have always had them in the rest of Europe, certainly in the star club Hamburg with a friend on 1964 a bell rang at 10 pm and all under 18's had to leave....I pretended not to understand. We were asked, we said we were British with no Id and we carried on dancing. Ended up sleeping in a shop doorway but that's another story.....Interesting to read from margaretx that these checks still go on over 50 years later. Perhaps in these times it may be Worth looking aT again.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 22-Dec-16 12:28:12

daphnedill

A brilliant idea. Chip at birth or with in the months you had vaccinations. I do not consider this a violation of our rights. Say you were brought into hospital with no idea of who you were or any else knew who you were. Passports, identity cards etc. can be lost or get into the wrong hands.