Gransnet forums

News & politics

First blood to Trump

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Wed 04-Jan-17 06:03:50

Trump will be inaugurated in 16 days time. Ford has recognised this new era.

How will his Junta of advisors deal with the political world?

Will Trump continue to govern by twitter?

Will his erratic behaviour stop?

Will he be less muddled in his thinking?

What will happen to NATO and article 5?

Will the world survive his environmental policy - such that it is?

Will America be able to contain him?

pollyperkins Thu 05-Jan-17 13:23:58

To defend radical nan her point was that relatively few footballers because they are famous get mote attention than far more 'unknown' children from Rotherham. I dont think she implied lack of sympathy for the footballers. Correct me if Im wrong!

Rosina Thu 05-Jan-17 13:26:42

He will likely be curbed dramatically by the three houses - although he seems to say what he likes he can't do what he likes without he consent of elected members. Maybe he will calm down somewhat - we travel hopefully.

Rhinestone Thu 05-Jan-17 13:32:51

I live in the states and cannot believe, in all my years of voting for presidents, how Trumps campaign ran and how there is so much hate here that's come to surface.
He did a " thank you " to some states and laughed about what he said during his campaign saying that he said those things because it was the campaign. What a hypocrit. Women are all up in arms across the country for his treatment of women and how he talked about them. There will be state marches and a march in Washington D. C. The day after he is sworn in.
Are you aware that both Trump and his daughter make their clothing lines overseas and yet he wants to fine people who continue to make them overseas?
He is immature with his tweets and what many are calling a narcissist.
He talks to hear himself talk. Hillary won the popular vote by 3 million and maybe it's time we changed our voting system.
I don't know if any of you heard what he said prior to the election about grabbing a woman by her hoo hah and how he just goes up to women and kisses them. He said this several years ago to a reporter who has since been fired. Yet Trump gets elected president. What's wrong with this?

pollyperkins Thu 05-Jan-17 13:48:00

Im very depressed and worried about him being president. My only hope is that he wont be as bad as expected, he will be controlled to some extent by congress and advisors, he wont involve us all in a war and that in four years time someone more reasonable (almost anyone would be better!) will be elected and undo any damage he has done. I fear for the future.

Rinouchka Thu 05-Jan-17 13:48:56

I think most of us are aware of all this, Rhinestone.
Thank you for pointing out something I had omitted to say: the Ivanka Trump clothing and jewelry lines are all "Made in China" as is clearly stated on their label. Trump would call this "being smart".

Beammeupscottie Thu 05-Jan-17 13:55:36

Hi Rhinestone.
We heard on the news to-day that the the Donald is repealing Obamacare. How do poor Americans afford health cover? also, I cannot imagine how he will get America to manufacture cheap goods as they will not (or cannot) accept low wages which makes stuff cheap to buy. someone in the UK had the bright idea of manufacturing ladies panties on home turf. Seems they turned out at £10 a pair; not an economic success!

Anya Thu 05-Jan-17 14:01:36

Can I remind radicalnan that it wasn't footballers who were abused, it was children. They were children when the abuse took place.

Lewlew Thu 05-Jan-17 14:42:48

I think the words about obamacare is repeal and REPLACE. Yeah, right, pull the other one. Up to 30 million Americans will lose coverage.

But everyone, please do NOT be depressed. I am a US citizen and UK citizen and whilst there isn't anything I can do about it, I am not about to let Trump's brand of right-wing-nutism ruin my life. If I lived in the US still, that would be more of a challenge and people of both parties will have to work hard to encourage better candidates. Hopefully there is another person out there with normal values, a stable family life and isn't pre-hated.

Then perhaps those who didn't bother to, or held their nose to vote, will understand that their vote matters, and those that are disheartened by their losing vote can be re-energised.

America needs to wake up and realise that good government is about compromise, not cross-party acrimonious spite-fill battles in both Houses that bins measures and policies that should benefit all when properly debated on the merits vs upon which party presents them.

But here, I am not going to let his kind of 'political terrorism' win!

Rinouchka Thu 05-Jan-17 14:46:22

No, Beamemeupscottie, Trump will not be able to repeal Obamacare in one fell swoop, leaving millions of Americans with no medical cover at all. This is one of his many threats that he will not be able to follow through without much more thought and a carefully worked through replacement plan. Sounds familiar??

Rinouchka Thu 05-Jan-17 14:48:29

Bravo, Lewlew!

chrissyh Thu 05-Jan-17 14:50:14

Beammeupscottie - I listened to the Jeremy Vine programme on BBC2 today and Obamacare was one of the topics. They had the usual for and against and then took callers, all of whom were American, who were saying what a terrible system it is. All health care premiums had risen dramatically and those that paid for their health care previously were now being priced out of it. It is nothing like our NHS - even as bad as a lot of people seem to think it is now.

Lewlew Thu 05-Jan-17 14:53:55

Rinouchka Hope your daughter has an interesting but safe experience. I secretly am hoping for a blizzard. DC cannot handle any snow over 3 inches. I do hope the demonstrations do not get nasty. I wonder if he will get out and walk as most past presidents have done? Don't know if Melania could march in her stilettos. grin

Beammeupscottie Thu 05-Jan-17 16:19:26

Thank you chrissieh and rinouchka; we are getting worried for America.

NotTooOld Thu 05-Jan-17 17:24:26

I still have hopes he will be assassinated before inauguration. I initially thought he would decide he did not want to be president after all and the election would have to be held again but that doesn't seem likely now, so assassination it will have to be. Any volunteers?

whitewave Thu 05-Jan-17 17:25:33

grin

sluttygran Thu 05-Jan-17 17:37:34

I would hate to wish anyone dead, but it's not unheard of for Presidents to be assassinated.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 05-Jan-17 18:03:55

Give the guy a chance before throwing the knife.

Sheilasue Thu 05-Jan-17 19:57:04

Oh who cares he will be gone in a year

Ana Thu 05-Jan-17 20:05:52

How d'you make that out, Sheilasue?

Iam64 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:28:11

radicalnan, that was a disgusting comment about the boys, now men, who were abused as children by powerful figures in the sport the loved and excelled at.

sluttygran - I wouldn't wish anyone to be assassinated and I suspect the Donald is safer than any of the kennedy clan were. It's his supporters who seem gungo ho gunslingers.

Jalima Thu 05-Jan-17 20:47:38

radicalnan
sorry, that remark about a few abused footballers is insensitive and uncalled for. They were children at the time, entrusted to the care of coaches who abused that trust and their hopes and dreams of a future in football.
There could have been 1,400 children abused in Rotherham - who knows if that many young aspiring footballers were abused? We may never know the true number; not all became professional and famous and those that have come forward are very brave to do so.

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 20:49:12

shock I know there are some awful things called for on some open forums, but am surprised to see calls for assassination on Gransnet.......come on peeps,Trump hasn't done anything as yet, and wishing him dead ...well!

Jalima Thu 05-Jan-17 20:52:10

He could be the best President America has ever had

grin

Well, they have had some pretty awful ones, let's face it! Even the ones much admired who could 'talk the talk' like Kennedy were sleazy behind the scenes and took us to the brink of nuclear war.
Bill Clinton?
George Dubya - where would we be now if he had not become President?

Jalima Thu 05-Jan-17 20:58:46

I think I was more worried when George Dubya became President - in fact I was frightened and I think events proved that to be right.

I feel that Trump will be kept in his box by Congress and the House of Representatives; allowed out but kept in his place.

Russia will find him to be a 'useful idiot' - which may be a good thing as better that than a nuclear war and the annihilation of us all.

rosesarered Thu 05-Jan-17 21:46:50

I agree Jalima and think that he is a businessman above all, now he has won the contract, he will very likely do very little.He was very hot on talk, but will forget about the walk, and will be kept in check all the time.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion