Gransnet forums

News & politics

First blood to Trump

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Wed 04-Jan-17 06:03:50

Trump will be inaugurated in 16 days time. Ford has recognised this new era.

How will his Junta of advisors deal with the political world?

Will Trump continue to govern by twitter?

Will his erratic behaviour stop?

Will he be less muddled in his thinking?

What will happen to NATO and article 5?

Will the world survive his environmental policy - such that it is?

Will America be able to contain him?

Ankers Sat 21-Jan-17 09:23:20

No, not American.

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 09:28:22

I agree with you about Corbyn, gillybob. The most frustrating thing at the moment is that there is no effective opposition.

However, I still think this is all going to end in tears - on both sides of the Atlantic. I really don't think the Republicans or the Conservatives give two hoots about those who feel left behind. To date, I haven't seen any evidence of it anyway.

Trump's nationalistic rants terrify me. I just hope that Liam Fox & Co don't achieve their ambition of having a trade agreement with the US. American healthcare companies are slobbering at the mouth to get hold of the NHS. Education companies are already exploiting the UK market with some of their academies, by selling 'consultancy' and curriculum plans.

So much for taking back control! hmm

Araabra Sat 21-Jan-17 09:29:20

No, not American.

This is brilliant, gillybob: "Many ordinary people in the UK feel left behind and ignored by modern politics and the politicians who neither understand or care about them. These people are the people in America who voted for Trump whom they see as a glimmer of hope that things might change for the better.

Let's face it we need a desperate change in this country." Need to worry about ordinary people in the UK.

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 09:30:27

In that case, Ankers, I'm afraid I don't understand your enthusiasm for Trump. If he does achieve what he says with regards trade, it's going to do the UK a great deal of damage. I don't understand why you would want that. The UK is facing enough uncertainty as it is.

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 09:30:52

Sorry, I meant Araabra.

Araabra Sat 21-Jan-17 09:33:41

I don't have 'enthusiasm' for Trump. I merely pointed out UK and US needs are vastly different. Trump is not out to solve UK problems.

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 09:34:02

Yes, we do need change, but I can't honestly believe that Trump or Brexit will deliver the change people want or need. That's my opinion and I'll happily admit to being wrong in a few years if things have settled down, but it's not looking good. It takes extreme optimism to believe that the Tories will ever care about those 'left behind'.

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 09:36:47

Well, it's obvious he's not going to solve any UK problems, but he's going to cause plenty, apart from being a totally odious human being.

Ginny42 Sat 21-Jan-17 09:36:49

I've decided to get off my backside and travel into Liverpool to join the protest. Large numbers of protesters around the world will annoy him, because he cannot stand criticism.

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 09:37:51

Confused! Am I 'talking' to Ankers or Araabra?

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 09:38:57

Good for you, Ginny! I'll be there in spirit.

(Off to earn some money now :-()

Araabra Sat 21-Jan-17 09:41:15

I WAS talking to you, but I'm over.

MaizieD Sat 21-Jan-17 09:51:58

I doubt if Ankers is American. She said on another thread that she'd never heard of Dubya.

MaizieD Sat 21-Jan-17 09:52:56

Ooh, we've moved on. Scrub last post please...

whitewave Sat 21-Jan-17 09:55:33

Quotes from some tweets

"Here at the inaugural. A tragedy for democracy" Michael Moore

"Welcome to the age of plunder, bluster, and empty rhetoric. In other words, the Age of the Dumb. If you voted for him, you are responsible" Stephen King

"Even the heavens wept" Gary Younge

durhamjen Sat 21-Jan-17 09:58:47

theconversation.com/can-the-uss-constitutional-and-legal-set-up-keep-donald-trump-in-check-68761

Here's hoping.

grannypiper Sat 21-Jan-17 10:04:00

LOVE TRUMPS HATE !ROFLMAO, Some Gnetters need to take a long hard look in the mirror, that will be the Gnetters who would be outraged if i dared to say i would be happy to see Obama shot( no i wouldnt), i can hear the shouts of racist, bigot and hater. The mirror awaits

gillybob Sat 21-Jan-17 10:06:03

His remit is not to solve the problems of the U.K. His job is to try and solve the problems in the USA. We need to solve our own problems.

I wish we had a government who cared about the UK as a whole. Who were passionate about buying British, creating British jobs for British people (the whole country, not just the South East), looking after our own borders instead of fighting everyone else's bloody battles..... I could go on and on.

Araabra Sat 21-Jan-17 10:10:01

Yes gillybob, I agree. Trump will not do anything for us, maybe he will get the US back in order. We need UK solutions.

grannypiper Sat 21-Jan-17 10:13:19

The bottom line is a legal election took place in a country where the vast majority of Gnetters cant vote, the winner of that election is now the President and marches and demonstrations in other countries wont matter a jot. In fact they are so irrelevant to the U.S that they wont make a single sentence never mind a column inch in any of its newspapers.
A democratic process took place, so how can you be outraged about that ?

grannypiper Sat 21-Jan-17 10:14:14

well said gilly

Ankers Sat 21-Jan-17 10:15:45

well said gilly

durhamjen Sat 21-Jan-17 10:17:35

The first person to say he was going to make America great was Washington.
That's real groundhog day. And he wrote the speech himself, so only has himself to blame for the reaction.

theconversation.com/death-and-rebirth-reading-between-the-lines-of-trumps-inauguration-speech-71667

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 10:31:46

Errmmm, we don't and I regret it too.

However, we are still part of the EU, which provides funding to more deprived regions - not for much longer though! sad I really cannot see that regional funding will be replaced. The Conservatives have never cared and I don't see why they should change now.

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 10:32:30

I don't believe Trump cares either.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion