Gransnet forums

News & politics

First blood to Trump

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Wed 04-Jan-17 06:03:50

Trump will be inaugurated in 16 days time. Ford has recognised this new era.

How will his Junta of advisors deal with the political world?

Will Trump continue to govern by twitter?

Will his erratic behaviour stop?

Will he be less muddled in his thinking?

What will happen to NATO and article 5?

Will the world survive his environmental policy - such that it is?

Will America be able to contain him?

durhamjen Sat 21-Jan-17 12:24:58

Good fences make good neighbours, but only when you both want the fence, or the wall.

Rhinestone Sat 21-Jan-17 12:26:30

By the way the secretary of education candidate, Betsey DeVoss, has not been confirmed. She never went to public school, never sent her kids to public school, and never was a teacher. How about that for having no qualifications? As a former teacher I hope she does not get confirmed to that position.

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 12:30:58

The infrastructure is more about the state of the highways, some are said to be like those of third world countries.

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 12:32:01

Public school means a different thing here Rhinestone grin

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 12:37:53

DeVoss sounds like Michael Gove on super strength steroids. What a scarey woman! She even thinks gays can be 'cured'.

Ankers Sat 21-Jan-17 12:43:54

It's not about being British or English. It's about having a certain attitudes and view of the world.

But the person saying it is still a racist and xenophobic thing to say if the person saying it is not British, is it not.

Ankers Sat 21-Jan-17 12:46:39

I am an American and I am appalled that Clinton got three million more popular votes than Trump, yet as I have mentioned here before, it's our out of date system of voting that has allowed Trump to win.

Someone told me that because that is the way it is, that Trump purposely fought more and harder in certain areas than others in order to get to become President.

If it was about the most votes, he would have acted differently.

The point was to win the Whitehouse, not get the most votes.

Ankers Sat 21-Jan-17 12:49:01

He had very little turnout for his inauguration

true, but Washington is very Democrat, so on the streets at least, he wasnt likely to get anywhere near the Obama support.

Not even half the country even went to cast their vote that day.

I didnt know that.

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 12:50:51

I give up!! It's not about nationality Ankers. It's about attitudes and values.

Ankers Sat 21-Jan-17 12:52:44

I'm sure you wouldnt want me to say the same thing a 3rd time dd! grin

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 13:27:19

I couldn't care less! Repeat it as much as you want, because I'm not going to bother trying to explain again. There are limits to my patience.

durhamjen Sat 21-Jan-17 13:49:10

Sadiq Khan has joined the march for women in London.
Yvette Cooper going to give a speech at two o'clock.

I like the placard that says 'Even Voldemort was better'.

Lewlew Sat 21-Jan-17 14:09:11

daphned Inbred... do you mean figuratively? I am from the east coast and my dad was in the USAF, so I never had a proper home town, but claimed my dad's town of birth as my final home from 1977 till 1992 as we had a 'summer cottage' there that he kept after my grandparents died. My DH and I went back to this area in the 90s as well until we returned to the UK in 2000.

I think as another fellow expat, Rhinestone pointed out, there is much room for improvement as it true in any country. But to base a campaign on polarisation vs on real issues is how he won. It's been that way for some time now. The pro-life, evangelicals and gun owners have been courted heavily by the far right. In fact, when Sarah Palin was so stupidly put forth as McCain's running mate , the tagline, Guns, Babies and Jesus were attached to her.

Sad to say... if that means that there is an inbred attitude... those factors could well be the foundation for it.

durhamjen Sat 21-Jan-17 14:15:29

There's a march at the Erasmus University, Amsterdam. I wonder how many British there are there.

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 14:18:06

I agree with a lot that you say Lew but just in the interest of not creating misunderstandings ( happens a lot on here grin) it should be pointed out that the voting propaganda pic in your post is actually put out by the Democrats.

durhamjen Sat 21-Jan-17 14:24:41

What a checklist, Lewlew. Scary.

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 14:25:45

hmm

Lewlew Sat 21-Jan-17 14:29:53

Rose Yes I know... I doubt the far right, even, would make a list even though it totally represents their ethos!

There are moderate, normal Republicans out there... they need to come out of hiding and take back their party.

It's good to have opposing POVs... good government is not about having it all one way for a small group of people, or convincing a large group of people that they really want all the things a hard-core group wants. Good government is not black or white, it's GRAY and represents compromise.

But as the saying goes, you really can fool some of the people all of the time!

durhamjen Sat 21-Jan-17 14:30:38

twitter.com/OccupyDemocrats

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 14:34:03

Or all of the people SOME of the time.grin

durhamjen Sat 21-Jan-17 14:41:11

'Meanwhile, the UK government has been criticised for sticking by its controversial plan to force women to “prove” rape for benefits.

The department for Work and Pensions (DWP) published its response to the consultation on child tax credit exemptions on Friday, a document discovered by women’s groups on Saturday who immediately condemned its contents.

Rachel Krys, co-director of the End Violence Against Women (EVAW) coalition, commenting on the government’s plans for a woman to “prove” rape in order to claim tax credits for a third child, said: “We are profoundly disappointed to see the publication of these new rules which make entitlement to child tax credit dependent on “proving” rape.

“The obvious difficulty of requiring women to identify a child as a “product” of rape, and then having a third party verify this claim, should have been enough to force a complete rethink of the whole policy proposal.'

Mair Sat 21-Jan-17 14:41:51

"I doubt the far right, even, would make a list even though it totally represents their ethos!"

Its ridiculous hyperbole. A similar list could be made in reverse starting: We hate democracy.

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 14:44:35

On the wrong thread djen?

Anya Sat 21-Jan-17 14:46:46

????

durhamjen Sat 21-Jan-17 14:52:25

No, roses, on exactly the right thread.
Women marching against Trump yesterday and today.
Yesterday the government brought out its report about women claiming child benefit for the third child if it is as a result of rape.
Perfect timing for the government to bury it.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion