Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is Populism

(460 Posts)
whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 17:31:47

About 2 years ago on here we mentioned the worrying rise of the populist right, and have gradually seen evidence of this with it culminating in the Trump election.

So I have been trying to get to grips and doing some reading to try to establish what exactly a populist party looks like and it's fundamental philosophies.

We know of populist party leaders:- Trump, Le Pen, Hoffer, Wilders and Farage amongst others.

Whilst they each represent a slightly different version, I think we can identify 3 main characteristics

Anti-establishment
Authoritarian
Nationalist.

Anti establishment because
It is a philosophy that emphasises faith in the wisdom and virtue of ordinary people as opposed to the "corrupt" establishment. There is a deep cynicism and resentment against the existing authorities

So you have

People -good
Elites - bad

Authoritarian because
It's leanings feature the personal power of one leader who is thought to reflect the will of the people

Nationalist/ xenophobic nationalism because
It tends to assume that people are a uniform whole, and favours mono-culturalism over multi-culturalism
Favours national self interest over international cooperation and development aid
Favours closed borders over the free flow of people and ideas, as well as capital, goods and labour
Finally favours Traditionalism over progressive liberal values.

So we have witnessed the rhetoric which seeks to stir up a potent mix of racial resentment, intolerance of multiculturalism, nationalist isolationism, misogyny and sexism. There is strong-man leadership and attack dog politics.

Populism therefore can be described as xenophobic authoritarianism.

Eloethan Fri 06-Jan-17 18:56:59

Isn't populism more about pandering to what is popular at a particular point in time? At the moment there is certainly an anti-establishment mood but I tend to think it is fairly superficial. The nationalistic mood is, though, very prevalent. With authoritarianism I think it depends on what it relates to - many people complain about speed cameras, parking regulations, etc., but at the same time profess a belief in more "law and order", harsher sentences, etc..

Anti-establishment views have not always been popular, and often, when it comes down to it, people are far more comfortable with a status quo that they suspect is very unfair than risk change. They are just miffed at the moment (and understandably so) because wages are so low and costs are so high. If the majority of people felt very secure and comfortable, I doubt there would be many anti-establishment feelings.

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 18:57:14

bell yes nothing wrong with the Tories, although it sticks in my throat grin long may they live -especially in the face of populism, but I'm not talking about them.

bellsisabelle Fri 06-Jan-17 18:57:44

Cherrytree59 I would prefer an intelligent friend who had been educated in the use of a compass.smile

bellsisabelle Fri 06-Jan-17 18:59:07

I might shut up now. Chips are cooked anyway.

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 19:02:01

eloethan yes!! Thats what I'm arguing that because of the way so many people have been affected by societal and economic changes with no benefit become susceptible to the populist message.

That's why governments must address these issues, and unless they do this will grow.

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 19:02:51

bell don't shut up its good to talksmile

durhamjen Fri 06-Jan-17 19:22:51

The problem at the moment is that governments don't have time to address these issues. There is far too much great change in the world, and not enough people involved in seeing the bigger picture.
When experts are told their opinions do not matter, it's natural that populism will win. It makes ordinary people feel more important, even if they do not know what to think.

Cherrytree59 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:32:10

bells I would hope that if I ever do venture in to the jungle, I would have the intelligence to take a compass although being able to use it is another matterconfused

durhamjen Fri 06-Jan-17 19:38:37

Ordinary compass or a moral one, Cherrytree?

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 19:49:48

Sorry to go back to a previous point, but I wanted to answer cherrytree. By definition 50% of any group is below average, if 'average' is the median. How intelligence is measured is debatable, but once any measure is decided, 50% will be below average. I'm not being personal.

durhamjen Fri 06-Jan-17 19:52:04

And it can be any agegroup.

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 20:01:34

What defines an 'idiot' then?

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 20:06:06

Last bit

The second and what I find more difficult can sort of be described as cultural backlash against cultural progressive change but really I think the two are interlinked.

Post war contract experienced expanding opportunities for the young to take advantage of a college education as the result was a rise in cosmopolitism, multiculturalism, environmental protection, human rights, gender equality and support for liberal economics. The expanding educational opportunities took in more and more sectors of the population. But it is argued that the result was a cultural backlash, especially amongst the older generation, white working class and less educated sectors whose only experience of this period was one of decline. There is a rejection of these progressive values with resentment at the erosion of the traditional families norms, and the erosion of privilege and status given once to various sectors of the white working class.

There is as a result a challenge to the legitimacy of the liberal democracy, and a potential disruption to the long established patterns of party competition.

With thanks to numerous papers, articles and reports. References can be suppliedgrin

GracesGranMK2 Fri 06-Jan-17 20:09:25

"Isn't populism more about pandering to what is popular at a particular point in time?"

I would say the answer to that is both yes and no Eloethan. Yes because populism does pander to what is popular at a particular point but no in that is does not pander to only one thing that is popular. All those who have had success with this historically have appealed to all the different 'popular' points, sometimes saying one thing to one group and another to a different group.

We have probably always been very tribal but we are showing ourselves to be much mores so currently and I see the populist leader/group trying to appeal to as many of those groups a possible.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 06-Jan-17 20:18:43

Whitewave, I agree with your description of post war progress but would add that I see an agreement on a level of liberalism (small 'l')in the population at that time. Because those speaking for it started to carry a distorted, overweening part of the national conversation I believe it began to be distorted, currently shown by the closing down on freedom of speech in Universities to enable the so called 'liberal' safe spaces. Liberalism could also be said to have closed down a lot speech that was coming from an illiberal point of view and that made people feel they were not being listened to.

Rinouchka Fri 06-Jan-17 20:18:58

This is one of the most fascinating posts I have come across since becoming "active" six months ago on GN, so thank you whitewave and daphnedill for bringing it up and, hopefully, making us think through this important topic with clarity and without vitriol.

I do agree that there are examples of right-wing and left-wing populism so it is not exclusively a right-wing movement. Looking at the USA in 2015/2016, you could say that Bernie Sanders initiated a left-wing populism and Donald Trump a right-wing one( offspring of The Tea Party Movement). In Europe, we have examples of both, as well.

Of course, depending on our individual political persuasion, we can analyse and interpret these movements as we see them but it is great to discuss the phenomena.

I, for one, am finding this very instructive and one of the reasons I wanted to join GN in the first place, much as I love chatting about my children , grandchildren and other grandmotherly pursuits!

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 20:20:59

Cheers rin

durhamjen Fri 06-Jan-17 20:23:38

W. B. Yeats ‘The Second Coming’,
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world......
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 20:26:38

dj yes that is so true. The centre right and left definitely lack conviction, it is so sad.

rosesarered Fri 06-Jan-17 20:40:19

The definition of populism from Wiki given by POGS pretty much sums it up, as does the post by Eloethan.

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 20:40:39

I hope this is the kind of thing she carries on doing:

news.sky.com/story/michelle-obamas-amazing-impact-on-british-schoolgirls-10719282

daphnedill Fri 06-Jan-17 20:41:27

Sorry, wrong thread sad

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 20:43:13

Sorry rose I'm not quite sure what you are saying.

Cherrytree59 Fri 06-Jan-17 20:44:39

dj I don't always carry a normal compass (although I believe there is one on my mobile)
But I truly hope I have my Moral compass with me at all times. smile

whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 20:48:04

Actually * rose* yes I have re-read their posts and yes I agree, I have simply run a bit further with the definition to try to understand why people are feeling alienated.