Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is Populism

(460 Posts)
whitewave Fri 06-Jan-17 17:31:47

About 2 years ago on here we mentioned the worrying rise of the populist right, and have gradually seen evidence of this with it culminating in the Trump election.

So I have been trying to get to grips and doing some reading to try to establish what exactly a populist party looks like and it's fundamental philosophies.

We know of populist party leaders:- Trump, Le Pen, Hoffer, Wilders and Farage amongst others.

Whilst they each represent a slightly different version, I think we can identify 3 main characteristics

Anti-establishment
Authoritarian
Nationalist.

Anti establishment because
It is a philosophy that emphasises faith in the wisdom and virtue of ordinary people as opposed to the "corrupt" establishment. There is a deep cynicism and resentment against the existing authorities

So you have

People -good
Elites - bad

Authoritarian because
It's leanings feature the personal power of one leader who is thought to reflect the will of the people

Nationalist/ xenophobic nationalism because
It tends to assume that people are a uniform whole, and favours mono-culturalism over multi-culturalism
Favours national self interest over international cooperation and development aid
Favours closed borders over the free flow of people and ideas, as well as capital, goods and labour
Finally favours Traditionalism over progressive liberal values.

So we have witnessed the rhetoric which seeks to stir up a potent mix of racial resentment, intolerance of multiculturalism, nationalist isolationism, misogyny and sexism. There is strong-man leadership and attack dog politics.

Populism therefore can be described as xenophobic authoritarianism.

whitewave Sun 22-Jan-17 19:11:17

Some people do not seem to have heard of the Cold War. The use of the word globalist is clearly totally misunderstood, but probably something that sounds good, so we may as well shove it in at every hopefully appropriate opportunity, in the hope it impresses grin

Mair Sun 22-Jan-17 19:48:44

Mair - has it ever occurred to you that when JFK was president, the world was a very different place and America had a very different view of its "responsibilities" to prevent Russia/Communism over running the world.

Kennedy's handling of the Cuban missile crisis was nothing to do with "preventing Russia/Communism over running the world". There was no threat of that involved.
Of course "the world was a different place". hmm

Mair Sun 22-Jan-17 19:55:45

Oh dear Whitewave, you promised to "ignore" me! Seems I am once again to be treated to your charming company...

grin

Seems that its you who fails to understand the meaning of globalist.
This should help:
dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/globalist

whitewave Sun 22-Jan-17 19:59:30

Try the globalist thread

Mair Sun 22-Jan-17 21:03:55

There is one on globalization. Globalization is a process, globalism is a political belief.

whitewave Sun 22-Jan-17 21:04:33

Have you read it?

Mair Mon 23-Jan-17 15:12:43

LOL is that an invitation to the Party WW? wink

daphnedill Sat 18-Feb-17 01:40:38

This is fairly long, but if people have time and are interested in populism, this interview between Nick Clegg and Jonathan Haidt is worth watching:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gZ5UD1hFM4&t=420s

whitewave Mon 20-Feb-17 12:14:27

Just watching a select committee and they are talking about the far right and their methods of wrinkling their way into our society, and the hate crime rise.

Very interestingly - which I didn't know and is important to note.

Populism was a euphonism for Jewish domination pre-war and they noted that it is being argued now by the far right. The term the committee has been told is that it has been whitewashed and repackaged, but it is just as dangerous as in the 30s.