Gransnet forums

News & politics

Michelle Obama

(69 Posts)
Jalima Fri 06-Jan-17 19:46:57

www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/06/michelle-obamas-last-official-white-house-speech-just-got-emotional/?utm_term=.16064120ee79

Dignified, clever and with a sense of fun (Carpool Karaoke with James Corden)

We are going to miss this First Lady!

Nelliemaggs Sun 08-Jan-17 23:44:06

What an motivational speaker she is; whatever she goes on to do she will be making a difference in young people's lives I feel sure. I wish we had as intelligent and elevating a speaker among our politicians in the U.K. let alone among their spouses. I look around members on both sides of the House and just think what a dull and uninspiring lot they are.

daphnedill Mon 09-Jan-17 02:53:21

I couldn't agree more, Nelliemaggs. I hope she doesn't go into politics, because I think she could do much more without the shackles of being a politician and having to tow a party line. She's an inspiring human being. I think her hubby is too, but being President has meant he's had other responsibilities. I was thinking the other day that Michelle has had the same kind of effect as Princess Di had, but better (sorry Di fans), because she's the embodiment of the American Dream - slave to wife of the President in three generations.

Iam64 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:48:48

That's a great way to sum it up daphnedill, slave to wife of the president in three generations. Plus, she had a good career before becoming first lady and hopefully, she'll use her many abilities to the good now she's out of the White House.

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 10:44:06

Ana best ignore!
Presumably Trump supporters - or perhaps GN has been hacked by you know who (allegedly interfered with that election) hmm

Anniebach Mon 09-Jan-17 11:01:47

Michelle and Diana , same kind of effect? No, Michelle was supportive of her husband and a person in her own right, the other wanted her husbands position

Sillyoldfool Mon 09-Jan-17 11:55:20

Sorry but I did not appreciate Barack Obama coming over here telling us what to vote for in our referendum and for his "get to the back of the queue" comment. General consensus within the US seems to be that he was a rather ineffectual president. Michelle appears to be a very personable character, but it is easy to talk the talk.

Rigby46 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:22:52

Silly - I'd like a link please to your quoted 'general consensus' and to what extent any perceived failings are the result of Congress blocking him. As for where we will be in the queue fo trade deals with Trump- well who would take a bet on that?

Mair Mon 09-Jan-17 14:45:43

"Plus, she had a good career before becoming first lady and hopefully, she'll use her many abilities to the good now she's out of the White House."

She did not have a good 'career' . She quit her tough city law job asap after marrying Obama at the age of twenty eight and from there on took sine cure roles (exceedingly well paid) ending up as VP of the University of Chicago hospital (when Barack was senator) until she quit working completely to assist him in his bid for presidency, subsequently becoming a lady who lunches (and dines and shops!). A career woman she is not.grin

Anniebach Mon 09-Jan-17 17:42:03

Suppose Michele could make a lot of money writing speeches for the latest Mrs Trump, save her from stealing them

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 17:44:38

Who is going to write his?

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 17:45:15

Is she going to act as First Lady or is his daughter taking on the role?

Ana Mon 09-Jan-17 17:47:16

Oh dear, it's all so...creepy

NotTooOld Mon 09-Jan-17 17:57:31

Isn't Boris over there at the moment talking to the Trump 'team'? I'd love to be a fly on the wall while that's going on. Luckily Boris seems to have a thick skin so he should be ok.........

Anniebach Mon 09-Jan-17 18:22:20

Jalima, he doesn't 'do speeches ' he twitters doesn't he

whitewave Mon 09-Jan-17 18:24:02

Must watch the inauguration!!!!

Anniebach Mon 09-Jan-17 18:41:35

First one I will ignore and have watched everyone since JFK

whitewave Mon 09-Jan-17 18:44:45

But his speechgrin its got to be worth a listen

Jalima Mon 09-Jan-17 20:04:05

he twitters doesn't he
Very appropriate, do twits twitter?

I was going to use another word and strike through but I know you don't like that anniebach wink

anyway, I don't want to debase a thread about Michelle Obama