Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May

(72 Posts)
Ankers Sun 15-Jan-17 17:02:45

I cant find a thread about her. Perhaps I have missed it?

I do not understand much about her at all.

I dont understand her position on Brexit. She voted against it, and now seems to be going for hard Brexit.

I am not sure what she has done politically since being in office, but I may just be out of the loop on that one.

And I dont really understand her character at all. Again, I could just be out of the loop. And maybe it is not necessary to understand her character.
But see above. So I would like to try and understand.

Can gransnetters enlighten me if they want to please?

nina1959 Thu 16-Mar-17 16:09:11

Nicola Sturgeon can't do anything without TM's consent. I voted to stay in the EU, I buy my raw materials from Europe. But I respect the voters who chose to leave and so I think we've just got to now get on with it. I don't think it's going to be a disaster. That's catastrophic thinking.

Ana Thu 16-Mar-17 16:10:43

Rumours...hmm

POGS Thu 16-Mar-17 16:50:04

Ankers

" I cant find a thread about her. Perhaps I have missed it?"

You haven't missed 'it' you have missed 'them'.

Actually I am not sure you have missed them as I believe you 'may have ' engaged in odd threads on Theresa May. confused

Put Theresa May into Search and you will find plenty of threads such as Theresa May 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 etc. etc. etc.

Ana Thu 16-Mar-17 16:53:50

Ankers wants an in-depth ass discussion of Theresa May's character so that she can 'understand', POGS...confused

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 16:55:32

Theresa May 4 thread was started after this one. I cant see myself on it.
I will check the others.

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 16:56:26

Actually me not being on Theresa May 4 is not relevant in that case.

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 16:59:33

Theresa May 1 and 2. Not of my time.

I will check Theresa May 3.

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 17:03:43

Had a quick look. Cant see me there either. Do you want to point out where?

Ana Thu 16-Mar-17 17:07:46

Who cares? Just get on with your interrogation, Ankers...

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 17:09:40

POGS cares Ana.

Ana Thu 16-Mar-17 17:12:53

Yes I'm sure she does. POGS isn't quite so wise to your stirry ways, Ankers! grin

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 17:14:35

Talking about Theresa May is stirring? My gosh.
[note to self. Do not get drawn in].

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 17:16:01

Oh Ana, you are now going to say it was a joke.

I will come back to this thread when it has calmed down a bit.

Ana Thu 16-Mar-17 17:16:37

Talking about her is fine. Starting a thread inviting people to say what they think about her character is stirring IMO.

petra Thu 16-Mar-17 17:26:44

Ankers Has it ever crossed your mind to find information other than on GN. And try another search engine other than google.

Ana Thu 16-Mar-17 17:29:11

(and no Ankers, it was not a joke! smile)

Jalima Thu 16-Mar-17 17:47:48

I could just be out of the loop
I'm not sure that I'm in the loop either, nor even members of the Cabinet grin

Ginny42 Thu 16-Mar-17 17:57:56

Re: ww's post about TM's relationship with the press and ergo the Government's.

Interesting news that it's been announced that Karen Bradley, the Culture Secretary, is to investigate Rupert Murdoch’s plans to take full control of Sky.

This means that instead of getting through on the nod so to speak, Murdoch’s plan faces a new obstacle. Ofcom, the media watchdog, now has to look into Murdoch’s dodgy media empire.

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 18:13:31

petra. Of course it has, but just because she is a vicars daughter, or went to a certain school, or who is married to whoever etc, is not really going to answer things about her character.
Search engines other than google. No I dont but I have been told. and looked once, that they are pretty useless.

Ana. 17.16pm You are entitled to your opinion.

Anniebach Thu 16-Mar-17 18:22:42

Ginny, She is a very clever woman, seems she knew the result of the referendum in advanced and that Cameron would resign ?

daphnedill Thu 16-Mar-17 18:52:30

I know I've already posted this on another thread, but the rise in NICs was a fair and progressive move. The Treasury receives almost three times as much from employees/employers as it does from the self-employed.

nina Holiday and sick pay are paid by the employer - nothing to do with NICs. As a self-employed person, you could pay Class 2 and Class 4 contributions, so you would be building up entitlement to state pension.

It's the abolition of Class 2 contributions, which only the lowest paid self-employed pay, which will do damage, but Conservatives aren't bothered by them.

This is a disgraceful U-turn by a PM and Chancellor who have caved into pressure from back benchers for party political reasons.

daphnedill Thu 16-Mar-17 18:54:28

Ankers It's about time people stopped worrying about somebody's character and concentrated on what politicians do.

Unless you're Theresa May's psychiatrist, you'll never know her true character.

Ginny42 Thu 16-Mar-17 18:54:42

Annie, who knows what goes on behind closed Westminster doors? It appears she was waiting in the wings for the right moment. The weekend after the referendum result, Boris was off playing cricket with his buddies at the Spencer's place when you might have thought as a member of the winning team he would have been in London. Leadsham was saying she was throwing her hat in the ring. She became an embarrassment and had to be sidelined. Behind the scenes activity and Leadsham pulls out. I think a deal was struck for Boris to stay away for a while and his backers would support TM for PM this time round. Next thing we know Boris is given the FO job. I predict that by the next GE TM will have been found to be incompetent and Boris will be leader and thus probably PM.

Time for a cuppa I think, or maybe a glass of something chilled and sparkling.

daphnedill Thu 16-Mar-17 18:55:58

For once, Ana and petra, I agree with you.

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 19:01:24

But what they do is precisely because of their character.
You do get the occasional person in life who sways with the wind. I am left wondering if Theresa May is one of them. But she may not be confused.