Gransnet forums

News & politics

UKIP leader

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Wed 25-Jan-17 18:22:23

Paul Nuttell is according to the poles is 10% ahead in the Stoke bi-election, so I thought I would look at some of his beliefs. I was astounded at how similar they are to Trumps.

1. Privatisation of the NHS - this has been taken from his website because he needs the votes. Privatisation of the NHS doesn't attract votes.

2. Wants a referendum to vote on restricting woman's rights. He is anti-abortion, and believes that there should be a ban on adverts for family planning and abortion.

3. Burka ban. In all public buildings.

4. Against banning discrimination against gays.

5. So he believes in placing restrictions on Muslim belief/culture, but is against any restriction to Christian beliefs.

6. Thinks sexist comment are OK, and against placing restrictions on these type of comments.

No wonder he was so thrilled when Trump won the election.

durhamjen Sat 25-Feb-17 16:55:44

www.change.org/p/home-secretary-amber-rudd-respect-the-rights-of-young-refugees?source_location=minibar

durhamjen Sat 25-Feb-17 17:04:45

That's just pathetic, Ana. He makes lots of noise about refugees and asylum seekers. It's your head of government who is being petitioned and being told they show appalling lack of leadership as far as refugees are concerned.

I expect you think Corbyn should go and rescue this child on his own, do you? Only that will be good enough for you.

Chewbacca Sat 25-Feb-17 17:07:25

Be good if Corbyn was seen doing anything to be fair. grin

Ana Sat 25-Feb-17 17:10:15

How childish your posts are, durhamjen.

Yes, Chewbacca, that's so true! grin

JessM Sat 25-Feb-17 17:17:59

Labour are making plenty of noise. Just because you don't get to hear about it, doesn't mean it is not happening.
Debate this week about children stuck in EU for instance
hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2017-02-23/debates/16FBE5B2-88A5-4E9D-A744-6CCC875E77EB/UnaccompaniedChildren(GreeceAndItaly)
They can't force the press to print stuff. Depends where you go for your news.

JessM Sat 25-Feb-17 17:38:42

And how about this little gem. Tory MP thinks people are being sentimental about child refugees

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/child-refugees-syrian-debate-sentimental-pauline-latham-debate-a7596151.html

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 17:55:44

www.change.org/p/amber-rudd-mp-stop-shiromini-getting-deported-she-is-three-months-away-from-completing-a-degree/sponsors/new?source_location=after_sign

Bureaucracy gone mad.
I am not against criminals being deported but this girl will be an asset to the UK one day.

Welshwife Sat 25-Feb-17 17:56:34

I have wondered about these child refugees when they get to 18 as have seen various reports about them being sent back to where they came. It seems ridiculous to me that a country like ours educates these children and hopefully they get to feel some sort of affiliation with the country and then just fling them back when they reach a date on the calendar. It seems hardly sensible or humanitarian - by the time they go back it is quite possible they will have no home or family to go back to. Have any studies been done about what happens to them does anyone know?
I also think that we treat our own children who have needed to go into some form of care disgracefully when they get to 18. Most of us know from our own children and grandchildren that youngsters are far from able to completely be responsible for themselves. There must be some way of giving them support till they are able to be able to live completely independently.

durhamjen Sun 26-Feb-17 10:53:05

Thanks for the link, Jalima. I thought there must be one somewhere.
Anyone concerned, please sign up to it and post it on facebook. If it was on the government website, there would have been a response by now.

Anniebach Sun 26-Feb-17 11:51:38

Welshwife, there is a battle going on in South Wales, a young man who has been fostered for quite a few years has to return to his country of birth, his foster parents are fighting it

Welshwife Sun 26-Feb-17 12:13:02

Yes AB that is one of the ones I was thinking about as had seen the reports - did they not eventually decide he could stay - I thought there was a decision about ten days ago. Lots of people signed a petition. An awful position for all of them to be in as he was obviously close to the foster parents who would be so worried if he were to be sent back.

durhamjen Sun 26-Feb-17 12:16:55

There really needs to be some thought and change in law to stop this situation from arising, rather than it always being about petitions in a piecemeal way. Lots of 18 year old asylum seekers are sent back home or disappear into the black economy because of the present system, as shown on a previous link.

Jalima Sun 26-Feb-17 14:52:16

Yet people who are undeserving, criminals, sexual predators etc are allowed to stay. I just don't know how the decisions are made, it seems arbitrary.

durhamjen Sun 26-Feb-17 15:13:44

Really, Jalima? Who?

Anniebach Sun 26-Feb-17 15:14:47

Welshwife, I missed the final decision, I hope he was allowed to stay with his family ,

Jalima Sun 26-Feb-17 15:18:13

[sigh] don't start another spat dj

You know as well as I do that certain people who have broken the law are given leave to stay after their sentence even though they could still pose a danger to the public.
I don't know any personally.

And you know as well as I do that young people are being deported who we feel should be allowed to stay.
I don't know any personally.

I only know what I read in the news, hear on the tv, see online.

Jalima Sun 26-Feb-17 15:27:48

If you didn't know, here's a link because I know you like links:
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/22/foreign-national-offenders-revoke-human-rights-act

A small number of cases, but then the number of people being deported when they pose no threat and in fact would be an asset to the UK is also small.

I even picked a link from the Guardian not the Daily Mail.

daphnedill Sun 26-Feb-17 15:36:33

Is it because there are different rules for children?

I remember a case a few months ago when a girl was deported just after her 18th birthday, even though she was predicted to achieve top grades at A level and already had a university place. I believe her parents and younger children were allowed to stay.

I hate to think what kind of impression some of these children mist have of the UK. I would have thought they could become prime targets for radicalisation, especially if they have no links when returned to their countries of origin.

durhamjen Sun 26-Feb-17 15:41:21

Wasn't after starting another spat, Jalima. I really wanted to know. You can make a comment without any supporting information and I am not allowed to query it?

You missed this bit:

The deportation of foreign nationals blocked by European legislation is a small proportion of cases but media coverage has been huge.

This is from the Independent

"Tim Farron, the Liberal Democrat leader, told The Independent that the approach to the teenagers was “callous” and that they should be given a chance to continue.

“Throwing 18-years-olds out of the country and back to places that they fled in terror exposes an immigration system that is self-defeating and utterly callous,” he said.

“It is time we put compassion first and give these young people who have been educated here in the UK the chance to stay. We must never forget how desperate you must be to leave everything behind and flee for your life.”

Previous reports from February suggest that between 2007 and 2015 a total of 4,000 asylum seekers who came to the UK as orphans have been deported. "

Numbers not in the same league.

By the way, your Guardian link quoted the Mail.

Jalima Sun 26-Feb-17 23:03:28

Well, I agree and I think you knew already that there are some cases of criminals who should be deported but have managed to get out of it by various means.

We don't know the circumstances of the possibly 4,000 asylum seekers who came as orphans and have been deported and numbers are only 'suggested' as you say.

Yes, I think I can make a comment without searching for links and supporting information, I am not in the H of C, I am on a chat forum.

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 00:32:02

Sorry, Jalima, but how do you know what I know?

It's sad that you think we should know the circumstances of children who come here as asylum seekers. Do you not trust anyone? Are you always so suspicious of people's motives?

There are millions of asylum seekers in Europe. Have you read the articles or seen the programmes which tell us that most of them don't want to come to the UK?

Don't you think it's wrong to accept children here until they are 18, then send them back where they came from, separating them from their families? That's what this is about, not the few criminals, who should have been deported by May.
There are 500 fewer being deported each year, even though there are 800 more staff to deal with the problem. What are they doing?

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 00:49:18

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/26/grandmother-deported-from-uk-despite-being-married-to-briton-for-27-years

Iam64 Mon 27-Feb-17 08:06:50

These political threads seem to be getting worse in terms of goading and attempting to get into rows rather than just 'discuss'.
Jamila, you are correct - this is a discussion/chat forum. For what its worth, I understand the point you made about the discrepancy between some people who are deported and others who are allowed to remain here.
It seems to be a small proportion of people (usually men) who have committed serious offences, yet are allowed to stay here along with a small number of people who are contributing positively yet are deported. Doesn't matter that its small, surely its the principle that counts.
To suggest that if you say one of those things, you are somehow uncaring and lacking in compassion seems totally off the wall to me.

Anya Mon 27-Feb-17 08:29:13

I agree with every single point you have made in your list this morning Iam

@Things are getting worse
@ This is a chat forum
@ There are offenders who should be deported by are allowed to stay
@ Others are deported who should be allowed to stay
@ Jalima does not come across as uncaring

Some people, it would seem, use online forums to vent their dissatisfaction with their lot in lives or just to express their innate inner nastiness.

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 08:34:23

Just been on local radio, that the woman who was deported had been told yesterday at 11.00 and was put on a plane at 15.00 with no possessions and 12 pound in her pocket.
She has nowhere to go when she lands, but atrangers have been offering her accommodation until things are sorted out.

This really isn't the sort of country I thought I was living in. She lost her right to remain when she went back to Singapore to look after her sick parents.
She is now relying on a gofundmepage to pay for solicitors to bring her back to look after her sick husband.
Who can tell me that that is acceptable in this country?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion