Gransnet forums

News & politics

Article 50

(860 Posts)
Mair Thu 26-Jan-17 14:36:09

Well its been announced that Jeremy Corbyn is applying a three line whip to his MPs to make them support the triggering of article 50.

I admire Jeremy for this, it's an act of leadership, and it could save Labours bacon in the many Northern Brexit seats that they hold, so in that sense I am not entirely pleased because it will weaken UKIPs chances. It will also weaken Paul Nuttalls chances in Stoke.

What do the Bremain Labour supporters on GN feel about this?

durhamjen Fri 27-Jan-17 16:04:14

We are also not going to be told the cost/benefit analysis of the negotiations, because it might help our competitors.

suzied Fri 27-Jan-17 16:04:54

Corbyn's 3 line whip is a bit of a joke as he voted against 3 line whips loads of times.

daphnedill Fri 27-Jan-17 16:08:11

Errrmmm...

Since when has varian been hard left?

Anniebach Fri 27-Jan-17 16:21:44

Corbyn voted against the party whip 428 times

durhamjen Fri 27-Jan-17 16:22:02

It doesn't matter, suzied. Are you saying he can never say what the Labour Party line is because he voted with his conscience?

TriciaF Fri 27-Jan-17 16:37:37

I've just read this thread - didn't realise what direction it had taken.
Just to repeat what I've written elsewhere - I think he's made a poor choice of when to put his foot down. He should have done it before on other issues, but not this one which should be a non-party issue.
I think it was a big mistake.

Jalima Fri 27-Jan-17 16:49:10

Corbyn voted against the party whip 428 times - which begs the question:
Why did he not stand as an Independent?

Ana Fri 27-Jan-17 16:51:24

Because he would have been out of his comfort zone - as he is now.

Jalima Fri 27-Jan-17 16:55:07

And the chattering classes of trendy Islington may have rejected someone who was not Labour.

Ana Fri 27-Jan-17 16:59:00

Far safer being the ageing rebel on the backbenches.

Anniebach Fri 27-Jan-17 17:02:27

We cannot forget he sacked Hilary Benn for sticking to his beliefs . This is the problem for people who live in glass houses

durhamjen Fri 27-Jan-17 17:12:10

Tricia, some in the party think he has made a good choice, as it enables him to show he is the leader.
Has anyone else read the amendments that Labour are going to try and make to the article 50 bill?

voxpoliticalonline.com/2017/01/26/labour-tables-targeted-amendments-to-article-50-bill-what-do-you-think-of-them/

If these amendments are voted on and passed, there will be no reason for those who have resigned to have done so. They jumped the gun.
May will probably have to accept some of these amendments if she wants to meet her deadline.

Welshwife Fri 27-Jan-17 17:33:33

Going back to the post by Dj - about trade / visa deals - India has made it clear they want the same - many many more visas and Priti Patel did promise some free access to the Indian subcontinent during the campaign. Australia also wants more visas.
I don't think these are the sort of deals the Brexit group were thinking about.

Mair Fri 27-Jan-17 17:41:31

"May will probably have to accept some of these amendments if she wants to meet her deadline"

Or whip her own MPs.

Mair Fri 27-Jan-17 17:43:51

" some free access"

A contradiction in terms. hmm

Anniebach Fri 27-Jan-17 17:46:35

There is talk of several Tory MP's voting against but I doubt she will wield the whip, she may though. With such a small majority I doubt the MP's will vote against , difficult one for both labour and Tory MP's

Mair Fri 27-Jan-17 18:06:37

I think she should and will whip on some amendments and allow a free vote on others, such as working rights. AS EU law is initially going to be fully incorporated into UK law so workers rights will be. Doesn't exclude modifying later on if needs be.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 27-Jan-17 19:20:10

Makes me wonder who's footing the bill for all the silly things the remainers are getting up to.

durhamjen Fri 27-Jan-17 19:21:47

Pay for it ourselves through crowdfunding.

durhamjen Fri 27-Jan-17 19:23:43

Only one thing happened so far, isn't there? Hardly all the silly things.
If May had not challenged the first decision, it wouldn't have cost so much to the taxpayer.
That's a thought. She hasn't put that on the cost of Article 50. Why not?

stillaliveandkicking Fri 27-Jan-17 19:26:19

Well that's alright then. Knock yourselves out smile

whitewave Fri 27-Jan-17 19:29:12

Miller isn't a remainer. She believes in Parliamentry sovereignty as I do. The Brexiters plan to stitch up the British and take away our rights without our assent, was never going to be a runner. May showed lack of judgement.

durhamjen Fri 27-Jan-17 19:48:18

I've just read that there are fewer civil servants than at any time since the second world war. Working out Brexit is going to be interesting for the Brexiteers.
They want small government, they are getting it.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 27-Jan-17 19:52:49

when are you lot going to just let it go? remainers are really rather embarrassing themselves now. what do you think would happen if by some ridiculous chance article 50 was never quite allowed to be activated because of constant blocking. do you really think that everything would "get back to normal" out voters who won via a democratic process will just roll over and concede. this really would cause anarchy and possibly a civil war.

varian Fri 27-Jan-17 20:03:49

Is that a threat?