Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Trump presidency

(1001 Posts)
JessM Fri 27-Jan-17 11:59:38

The last Trump thread has run out of space. I suspect we need a new one. As he steams through his first week issuing royal edicts on a range of things and asserting that he will build a wall, how will politicians in Washington react to his fascist agenda along with his apparently immature and decidedly dodgy personality?

nigglynellie Mon 06-Feb-17 19:14:19

Let him speak, individuals are at liberty not to attend the house that day! Surely a depleted H of C is more effective and telling than a ban. Ditto the House of Lords!

durhamjen Mon 06-Feb-17 19:18:49

Did you watch it, POGS?

Bercow was not spewing bile and humiliating Trump. He was speaking much more reasonably about Trump and explaining the point of order than you are speaking about him and Skinner.
You should watch it.

"Across the United States, more than 15,000 doctors are from the seven Muslim-majority countries covered by the travel ban, according to Medicus, a firm that recruits doctors for hard-to-fill jobs. That includes almost 9,000 from Iran, almost 3,500 from Syria and more than 1,500 from Iraq.

Dr. Hooman Parsi, an oncologist so talented that he has an O-1 visa granted to individuals with “extraordinarily ability or achievement,” was to start seeing patients on Wednesday in San Bernardino, Calif."

It's people like these that Trump wants to keep out, people who work as doctors in areas of the USA where their own doctors do not want to work.

Trump now says the New York Times is failing because it criticised him.
I can't understand why anyone wants to stick up for him. He really is losing the plot.
He is in charge of the most powerful arms in the world. That's more worrying.

POGS Mon 06-Feb-17 19:21:34

Bercow has overstepped his position and need for neutrality.

The cheers from the opposition benches spoke volumes and I think this is as much to do with embarrassing Theresa May as anything.

Funny how Bercow told off the SNP benches when they applauded when they initially took up their seats in the House of Parliament, NOT THE DONE THING, yet he revelled in the applause when it was directed at him. Hypocrite.

If this does not cause a backlash I will surprised.

whitewave Mon 06-Feb-17 19:24:49

Bercow talked about racism and inequality. Someone with guts and a spine - good for him. Not a lot May can do Bercow outranks her. Perhaps he's had a quiet word with Her Maj.

Ana Mon 06-Feb-17 19:30:29

Oh yes, as if...grin

durhamjen Mon 06-Feb-17 19:41:31

A backlash by whom?
Even the Tories don't want Trump there, knowing what a hypocrite he is.
Anyway, there are rules, as he said in his point of order; only a few people have the keys. The speaker in the Lords could sneak him in, but I don't think he will.

I bet Trump has tweeted already about it, saying he doesn't want to speak to the UK's failing parliament.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:42:10

POGS conduct in the chamber is an evolving thing and it would usually be in the perview of the Speaker to allow that change to happen. Since the incident with the SNP clapping has taken place on many occasions and it was well before today that Speaker Bercow had allowed it so it cannot be hypocritical to allow it today.

As for overstepping the mark he is clearly not doing that. The Speaker runs the business of Parliament and he will have looked into this and been advised. I have to say, and I am surprised to say it, it is good to see a bit of backbone in Parliament.

The great thing about this country is that power is not all in the hands of any one group or person and the judges reminded us recently. I have no expectation of Trump understanding that as so many citizens of the UK don't seem to understand the workings of their own democracy - I imagine we will see another tweet from Trump at some point.

whitewave Mon 06-Feb-17 19:46:14

I wait for his tweet with glee.

JessM Mon 06-Feb-17 19:49:58

Indeed Bercow specifically mentioned the judiciary. He was emphatic, passionate even and completely appropriate. I hope Republican representatives will take note.
Meanwhile Coke have launched a high profile ad for Superbowl that is obviously anti-Trump and pro-diversity. Much as I don't want to promote Coke, the singing is lovely, and the sentiment too, to here goes:
occupydemocrats.com/2017/02/06/cokes-superbowl-ad-just-taught-trump-huge-lesson-america/

durhamjen Mon 06-Feb-17 19:55:18

Strangely enough, Trump didn't mention that in his tweet about the Superbowl.

"Enjoy the Superbowl - and then we continue MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"

GracesGranMK2 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:18:32

I hope I am not repeating this. uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/u-tech-firms-file-legal-065308509.html

(Reuters) - Nearly 100 companies, including some of high-tech's biggest names, joined a legal brief opposing President Donald Trump's temporary travel ban, arguing that it would give companies incentives to move jobs outside the United States.

JessM Mon 06-Feb-17 20:33:49

Yup. Silicon Valley has a very high proportion of super-bright people recruited from Asia etc, and many successful tech companies have been started and run by such immigrants or children of immigrants (Steve Jobs).

durhamjen Mon 06-Feb-17 20:44:27

Starbucks have said they will employ 10,000 refugees over the next five years. So Trump's supporters have said they will boycott Starbucks.
Nearly makes me want to give up my boycott of Starbucks.

Anya Mon 06-Feb-17 21:23:04

Trump a threat to world peace, democracy, civil rights and the environment - all rolled into one. How can he be compared to some official from a minor state?

Disingenuous.

durhamjen Mon 06-Feb-17 21:32:49

This is how it affects people in America.

theconversation.com/life-in-an-arab-american-community-under-trumps-muslim-ban-72329

JessM Mon 06-Feb-17 22:11:45

OMG he's been saying that "all over Europe" terrorist acts are taking place, and the dishonest press are not covering them. shock

durhamjen Mon 06-Feb-17 23:22:40

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38888769

Some good news from America.

whitewave Tue 07-Feb-17 07:56:43

Just had a peek at the latest twitter.

It occurs to me that his vocabulary is extremely limited. What sort of education did he have?

whitewave Tue 07-Feb-17 08:45:24

Radio 4 listening to a member of Trumps transition team.

wow! glad her language was stopped by the presenter.

JessM Tue 07-Feb-17 08:52:47

He was very firm with her when she started by accusing Yvette Cooper of "screeching and beating her breast" smile

Anniebach Tue 07-Feb-17 09:07:56

seems we expect the leaders of countries in the East to share our values but we demand the leader of the most powerful country in the West be respected even though he doesn't share our values

whitewave Tue 07-Feb-17 09:35:03

Utterly amazing how she airily gave "alternative facts" - clearly on message. But pleased the interviewer challenged her very firmly saying that what she was saying was absolutely not true.

whitewave Tue 07-Feb-17 09:38:02

I know we moan about BBC bias but blimey knowing we have an independent broadcaster is so important. Because with more and more fake news we shall need broadcasters like the BBC to tell it correctly. If we can't believe our ears and eyes (clickshock the other day) we are completely lost.

Ankers Tue 07-Feb-17 09:54:30

I would actually say that some of the other channels are worse than the BBC for bias. ITN in particular.
ITN seems to leave out as much "positive" as it can get away with. Channel 4 has done it too[though not seen too much channel 4].

Ankers Tue 07-Feb-17 09:58:14

Personally I dont understand the travel ban at all.

And certainly dont understand how that executive order happened.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion