Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Beckham

(321 Posts)
gillybob Wed 08-Feb-17 11:11:11

Has his halo slipped?

Is he really just the same as some of those other overpaid, rich celebrities who "do charity" on one hand and then take it directly away with the other by not paying his fair share of taxes?

I always thought that DB was one of the good guys and I am truly disappointed with what I have learned in the last few days.

pensionpat Wed 08-Feb-17 11:38:12

I suppose we can't believe everything we read! Celebrities have expensive public relations people to make us think one way, and then along comes negative stuff.

gillybob Wed 08-Feb-17 11:44:10

I agree we can't always believe what we read pensionpat but considering just about every news program (inc the BBC) and newspaper have been covering this story in the last few days (including quotes) you have to assume there just might be some truth in it. Or else we may as well assume that every news article and report is fiction.

I think Mr Beckhams "peeps" would be working to protect brand Beckham. hmm

Ana Wed 08-Feb-17 11:49:26

I've never been particularly keen on him (or Victoria) but did think he was rather a bland and home-loving 'good guy', but some of the emails purported to have been sent by him bemoaning the fact that yet again he hadn't been knighted contain appalling language!

OK so he does an awful lot for charity - surely not just because he was expecting to get some award from the Queen...? hmm

gillybob Wed 08-Feb-17 12:56:11

Doing work for charity only to avoid paying towards education and the NHS to the point of (allegedly) changing the date of a Unicef meeting in the UK to avoid paying more tax than he needed to. hmm

I thought he was a decent guy too Ana although I have never been fond of his unsmiling "lollipop" of a wife.

Iam64 Wed 08-Feb-17 13:01:50

I haven't read the emails but I did read the various articles criticising him. He was a great footballer, he and V may have a show marriage to protect their brand But, they both work hard, clearly love their children and I do feel they get a battering in the press regularly.

Victoria has been an aunt Sallie for years, a target for nasty comments and huge criticism. She can do no right in some people's eyes. If the Beckhams are the worst news this week, we can all sleep easy in our beds.

gillybob Wed 08-Feb-17 13:08:23

Not the "worst news this week" at all Iam64 but not exactly the best news ever either. I find it quite disappointing when you learn that someone you respected turns out to be not what you thought they were.

Anniebach Wed 08-Feb-17 13:50:57

Surely no one believes Beckham sits at his desk and fills in his tax returns

Anniebach Wed 08-Feb-17 13:52:37

Gilly, I never expect those in the public eye to be super human so without flaws

Ana Wed 08-Feb-17 14:04:10

Neither do I Annie, but it's still disappointing when someone who has been hero-worshipped by many turns out to have feet of clay!

TriciaF Wed 08-Feb-17 14:07:57

I don't know what you're talking about, and couldn't find anything uptodate on Google.

Elrel Wed 08-Feb-17 14:26:11

Sorry, lovely boy, great footballer but for me his foot of clay was the one that kicked the Argentinian player in the World Cup.

gillybob Wed 08-Feb-17 14:31:05

The Beckhams (or brand Beckham) were members of a notorious tax avoidance scheme which allegedly involved hundreds of millions of pounds. I didn't for one minute "believe that he sits at his desk and fills in his tax returns" Anniebach (how silly)and nor do I think "those in the public eye are super human and without flaws" But I (sadly) did believe he was a decent honest man. He was apparently passed over for a knighthood as he was "red flagged" by HMRC for his membership of tax avoidance schemes.

Anniebach Wed 08-Feb-17 14:39:20

Ana, he was hero worshipped for his ability as a footballer surely?

Gilly, I know little of the man but I would expect anyone with hundreds of millions and with his education to leave the book keeping to accountants and advisors .

gillybob Wed 08-Feb-17 14:47:18

Really Anniebach ? and here's me thought he sat every night updating his own accounts.

Obviously he has advisers to help him pay as little tax as is humanly possible which I do not have a problem with. To be a member of a deliberate tax avoidance scheme is quite another thing.

Anniebach Wed 08-Feb-17 14:56:43

You may be right Gilly and he does sit at his desk every night working out how to dodge tax

Ana Wed 08-Feb-17 15:12:03

Whatever he was hero-worshipped for Annie (and I don't think he was every that brilliant a footballer), the foul-mouthed rants he made in emails complaining about his tax dodging being the reason he hasn't been knighted make it clear he's not the mild-mannered gentleman many thought.

gillybob Wed 08-Feb-17 15:16:00

I didn't rate him as a footballer either Ana.

He is rather "easy on the eye though" Shallow or what?

TerriBull Wed 08-Feb-17 15:17:03

Can't help contrasting this latest news about DB, who I quite liked, with the quiet philanthropy of the late George Michael who it seems really didn't want anyone to know about his donations. When these facts emerged after his death it spoke volumes about what a good soul he was whilst battling his deamons. I can't help thinking a lot of what goes on with the Beckhams is with a view to shaping "the brand" Undoubtedly they love their children, but they are quite shameless in promoting their offspring. William and Kate have made it quite clear that they don't want their children continually exposed as they go about their daily lives. Children of public figures should be shielded from public scrutiny for all manner of reasons.

TerriBull Wed 08-Feb-17 15:19:43

should have typed demons.

gillybob Wed 08-Feb-17 15:26:40

I agree with you Terribull I was never a George Michael fan (not my style or taste) but I admit to being pleasantly surprised and humbled when I learned what a charitable man he had been. No publicity. He just gave generously and quietly. A direct contrast to DB and his publicity "machine" who (allegedly) rescheduled a Unicef meeting as it would have cost him too much in tax to come into he country a few days earlier.

It is very easy for someone like DB's son or daughter to be a top model, photographer or whatever they are "being" these days as they cash in on the brand and the publicity.

Anniebach Wed 08-Feb-17 15:33:16

Hell bells, Beckhams children cash in on their parents name? We live in a country ehere we have countless windsors cashing in on an accident of birth not on parents hard work

merlotgran Wed 08-Feb-17 15:35:22

Hell's Bells. Here we go again hmm

Ana Wed 08-Feb-17 15:37:37

But they tend to be grown ups, Annie.

The Beckham children have been deliberately placed in the pubic eye from birth and of course model agencies are falling over themselves to take the boys on - goodness knows how soon it will be before Harper is seen strutting on a catwalk...

Anniebach Wed 08-Feb-17 15:38:22

But it's true Merlotgran , why should it not be said