Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tara Palmer-Tomkinson dies

(28 Posts)
seacliff Wed 08-Feb-17 20:55:23

Sad news today, Tara apparently died from a brain tumour - she was only 45. In spite of her privileged life, she sometimes appeared unhappy and a bit lost. She seemed to have a great self deprecating sense of humour, very likeable. Sad for her family.

rafichagran Wed 08-Feb-17 20:59:37

Very sad, I found her likable as well. Very eccentric.

Swanny Wed 08-Feb-17 21:04:50

Such a shock. I liked what I knew of Tara; she fought her demons and was open about her battles. My condolences to her family.

merlotgran Wed 08-Feb-17 21:11:44

Very sad that she should die so young having fought so many battles.

Anniebach Wed 08-Feb-17 21:13:35

So young, so very sad, poor woman

R I P

Christinefrance Wed 08-Feb-17 21:14:37

It is very sad, my husband had a real thing for her.
God bless

Charleygirl Wed 08-Feb-17 21:21:30

Her death is apparently unexplained but is not being treated as suspicious according to the evening newspaper.

gillybob Wed 08-Feb-17 21:25:51

Upon reading this terribly sad news my first thought was "drug abuse" . I knew she had suffered ill health in the past though . So very sad and such a young age.

Ana Wed 08-Feb-17 21:26:54

I liked her too. She seemed to have had a troubled life and never really found happiness, but came across as a caring and sensitive person. RIP Tara.

Antonia Thu 09-Feb-17 03:54:03

I am not sure that she died from a brain tumour, it was benign apparently. Sue Perkins has the same condition. We may find out more later. I liked her too but she was a very troubled person for much of her life. RIP Tara.

absent Thu 09-Feb-17 05:11:45

Clearly a grief for her family and friends and it is always a cause for sadness when someone dies at what seems to be before their time. Other than that, I am not especially distressed about the death of a woman I have never met who was famous for going to parties. What?

f77ms Thu 09-Feb-17 06:14:33

Just goes to show that money can`t buy good health , what I found sad was the fact that despite being a `celebrity , party animal` she was alone when she died . I also heard that the tumour was benign and I think she was into cocaine , the drug of choice of the wealthy so maybe overdosed .

gillybob Thu 09-Feb-17 06:57:06

It has been widely reported that for a time she was spending £1000's per week on Cocaine.

What is it with these people and drugs?

M0nica Thu 09-Feb-17 07:26:09

The interesting thing is that all the papers have all said what a lovely likeable woman she actually was. One commented that her problem was she had too much, not just money; she was clever and had passed all the necessary exams to go to university, she was beautiful, could sing and act, and with so much personality, that she could never decide what to focus on, so focused on partying.

Some people, whether in the public eye or not, seem to have underneath everything else, an essential niceness and some indefinable 'something' that evokes a positive response from almost everyone they meet - and many who only know of them. She was clearly one of these people.

Rinouchka Thu 09-Feb-17 08:45:13

Sad news. I liked her cookiness, wit and vulnerability. Monica, your last paragraph is very apt.

harrigran Thu 09-Feb-17 10:32:12

An article I read said that TPT had her non malignant tumour successfully removed a year ago. She allegedly had a £400 a day cocaine habit before she wrecked her nasal septum and had to have plastic surgery. Sadly money does not always make for a healthy and happy life but she did not deserve to go at such a young age.

acanthus Thu 09-Feb-17 11:40:15

Sorry - this is going to upset a lot of people, but as usual there is a lot of baloney coming out of the press about her death. First up, the pituitary tumour was being dealt with - it's something many people have to deal with and live for years with. My own sister-in-law has had one for fifty years. So I doubt that she suddenly died from it. Until the coroner's report is published how can anyone say what she died from.
Secondly, this word 'tragic' being bandied about; it's tragic for her family and friends who have had to stand by and see someone with such a privileged start in life waste most of it. Use 'tragic' for the civilians bombed in Aleppo or innocent children being abused. Even then many such victims rise above tragedy and make something of their lives. Rant over.

seacliff Thu 09-Feb-17 12:31:12

There's always lots of rumours and comments from so called friends in these situations. It may well be that she was back on drugs, no doubt the truth will come out. I know she had every chance with her family background. Still think it's sad and a waste of her life, that she couldn't be happy, as she seemed to be a lovely person that many people felt affection for.

M0nica Thu 09-Feb-17 12:37:05

I do not have any of the fame or notoriety of Tara Palmer-Tompkinson, but if my death could be greeted among the limited number of people I know with the sense of grief and loss that her death has engendered among so many people, my life would have been a triumph.

Anniebach Thu 09-Feb-17 12:41:13

Well said MOnica,

that people view the death of this woman as tragic does not take away sympathy for victims of bombing, sbuse etc, some see sympathy as an emotion to be rationed

acanthus Thu 09-Feb-17 13:33:30

I feel sympathy for her family as I would for anyone who has lost someone, especially a child, of whatever age. But I cannot pretend to be grief-stricken over someone I didn't know.

Anniebach Thu 09-Feb-17 13:35:50

No one has said they are grief stricken

acanthus Thu 09-Feb-17 19:52:57

Nor did I say that anyone here said it - it was a general comment on the usual red-top hyperbole.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Feb-17 20:05:38

Wel said M0nica, everyone should aim for exactly that.

Deedaa Thu 09-Feb-17 20:30:17

The tragedy is that it is yet another case of someone with every advantage - silver spoons and all - leading a pretty unhappy life and apparently not being able to cope very well.