Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prison works?

(81 Posts)
JessM Tue 14-Feb-17 12:32:42

Last night's BBC documentary reveals an appalling prison service. Currently under discussion on BBC You and Yours R4.
This is a combination of very high numbers being imprisoned and "austerity".
In the 1960s there were 25k and now there are 86k in prison.
Staff cuts, too many drugs and not enough for prisoners to do.
It was ironic to hear the "warm words" of Ken Clark, David Cameron and Michael Gove who were all holding forth (since 2010) about the benefits of rehabilitation and education.

durhamjen Sun 19-Feb-17 18:54:24

Why blame the opposition for it? What can they do?
The coalition didn't help at all. May was the home office minister all that time, and the figures just got worse.

Iam64 Sun 19-Feb-17 19:04:12

I blamed the government, that's clear from my post. I said I wished we had an effective opposition because of the destruction to public services being caused by this government. I'm aware the coalition didn't help with prisons, or many other issues, I've commented on that a number of times in other threads. I am well aware that May was the home office minister and also well aware that she was responsible for the Border Agency which is presiding over an out of control department in which many people who have been refused asylum, for example, remain in this country.
Why have a go at me durhamjen? Why not make some positive contribution to the debate about prisons. We need an effective opposition to challenge this tory government. You see JC as effective. I don't agree with you.

durhamjen Sun 19-Feb-17 19:15:58

theconversation.com/education-behind-bars-why-university-students-are-learning-alongside-prisoners-71664

Positive enough for you?

Iam64 Sun 19-Feb-17 19:39:41

I'm not getting involved in reading links. If you have something to say, for pity's sake, say it in your own words.

durhamjen Sun 19-Feb-17 22:56:03

I did, on Thursday, when I first put that link on. Can't be bothered to do so again, just to please you now.
I did so right from thew beginning. I know the prison and some of the officers who worked there.